Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 2,321 to 2,340 of 4,206

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Great to see you back!

Won't be playing it anytime soon (I've allowed too many big games to pile up, half-beaten, so between now and March I'll be mopping those up), although I am curious to see if it's as good as the rave reviews claim it is.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

crimsontadpoles

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ah, Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, that takes me back. I had a lot of fun with it back in the PS2 days. It does have some balancing issues (the dwarf gets all the cool gear early on and stays strong throughout, and a couple of characters always seem weak), but overall it's still very enjoyable. It's cool to see a lot of the settings and enemies from the movies, featured in a different perspective than usual due to having a different group of main characters.

And great to see you again.

HallowMoonshadow

It's nice to be back @Ralizah

I'll still look forward to it whenever it happens... Only played the third myself (It's ok, nice sense of scale for the bosses and it looks great). Still who knows, Horizon: Zero Dawn ended up surprising you and this could too

Nice to see you too @crimsontadpoles!

... Discount Gimli was pretty neat lol

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Well, I'll definitely be talking about it with the lovely people on this forum.

My only other experience with the franchise was the very first game on the PS2, back when I was still a teen. I remember that Kratos' cruelty and ceaseless anger kind of rubbed me the wrong way, so maybe I'll feel better about him now that he's middle-aged and a bit more chilled out than he used to be.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

I remember that Kratos' cruelty and ceaseless anger kind of rubbed me the wrong way

Same really for me but regarding the third!

His ridiculous anger makes the most sense in the first since he's still incredibly raw about the whole being tricked into killing his loved ones by Ares

I mean he should've been tuckered out after all that ceaseless carnage and successfully got his revenge, had a nice nap & cleared his head by the second rolled around @Ralizah (... I'll admit I don't know what happens in the second at all aside from him being betrayed... I think)

Instead by the time the initial trilogy is done He's ripped off Helios' head to use as a torch, all the gods of Greek mythology are toast and he causes the end of the world once he's done with his temper tantrum... Or at least ends up destroying Greece it's a bit confusing just how much of a mess he causes... 😂

... Some lovely set pieces though and they really do get the scale right as I said before. When you're fighting a titan who's like a 1000ft tall... It is really impressive.

I do admit I look forward to trying God of War 4 eventually with him being more mellowed out too

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Ralizah I never really cared for the previous God of War games but was blown away by the recent one. I did not think I would get along with it, having a kid tag along for the journey as that would usually get on my nerves. But I thought it pretty much had the balance judged perfectly, and 'Boy' is really important part of the combat in the game. Made me kinda feel what is it like to be a parent, which I've not felt since The Last of Us.

Plus it looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous, defo the best looking game I've played on PS4.

One of my mates didn't like it so much as he is well into his Norse mythology, and spent the whole of his playtime picking holes in the game and how it butchered the mythos. Which got on my nerves slightly as they game is not supposed to be a retelling of the Norse mythology, just using it as a setting and basis to further the story in this franchise.

Hope you enjoy the game and look forward to reading your impressions!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The bosses and setpieces were definitely impressive for a PS2 game. I believe the first boss was... I want to say it was a Hydra. Neat stuff at the time. In some respects, it felt like a VERY early PS3 game.

But the writing and characterization in the game was juvenile, to say the least. The sort of power fantasy you might expect to crop up in the creative writing of a 14-year-old boy who is saddled with toxic presuppositions about masculinity and manhood. You describe Kratos as throwing a "tantrum," and I think that describes it perfectly: Kratos' anger isn't sympathetic or affecting; it's obnoxious and entitled.

In that respect, it's interesting that the soft reboot of the series sees a more emotionally mature Kratos raising a child.

@JohnnyShoulder Oh, cool. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I didn't quite get on with TLOU, though, so I hope it's not too reminiscent.

Actually not a fan of Norse mythology, so I doubt the inaccuracies will bother me much.

Edited on by Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah That is about the only thing I can think of which bears resemblance to TLOU. Well that and being a Sony first party exclusive.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

HallowMoonshadow

Just ordered and gonna collect Soul Calibur VI for £16... Not bad at all for an Argos deal!

I need a new tale of swords and souls and SC3 is one of my favourite fighters... Plus Geralt is a pretty neat guest character

I'll be getting that season pass for my Tira (& Amy, Cassandra and 2B... funny how it's all girls(or girl andoids) on the season pass ) when it goes on sale for a tenner or so

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I had a good time with SC6. Hope you enjoy! There is a lot of content and I appreciated how the game was approachable for novices.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@KratosMD ...dude, stop. You'll need a new shelving unit soon!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Hey, in all seriousness, more power to you! By getting to play all these different games, you're only gonna broaden your horizons, which is awesome.

Hope you enjoy them all, and will let us know what you think of 'em!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I note there were no sports games in your recent haul. I think that needs to be corrected lol.

Hope you manage to get through them all, I did something similar a few years back when I realised I had more disposable income than I was used to. Unfortunately some games have either not been touched or not played enough to leave a lasting impression. It does feel that the money I initially saved has now been wasted.

andreoni79

I got the goty edition of Kingdom Come Deliverance for just €20 and it's a blast. There are still some minor issues with pop-in and loading times, but the realism and the attention to details are very engaging.
I just have to stop panicking when it rains since it's not Death Stranding!

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Sometimes it's good to play games with little or no story. I find it quite refreshing not have to play something which does not have a story that you have to follow. I mean I can't remember the last time I played a game and I came away from it thinking it had a really good story. God of War maybe? For me I struggle to play a game if the gameplay sucks but the story is really good, but happily play a game with great gameplay but with a weak story.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD How do you know until you at least give them a try? Admittedly if you don't follow a sport it may be difficult to get into them. Saying that I now remember you posting about the Forza games, so I'll let you off!

RogerRoger

@KratosMD I will admit, I think I'm nearing a similar point, at which I need to diversify what I play. I've been reaching for short, unique experiences after every two or three third-person action-adventure games and I've often found myself thinking about them more than my standard, Triple-A fare (sometimes even during). This year I challenged my own loathing of the fantasy genre by playing, and loving, the Dragon Age trilogy and I wanna keep that momentum. I'm only encouraged to do so by stories like yours, so thanks for sharing! I keep saying I'm gonna play Final Fantasy XV at some point, so maybe I need to make good on that statement soon.

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@RogerRoger You should play a Souls game! I say this for purely selfish reasons, simply because I want to read your thoughts as you play it...

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

HallowMoonshadow

He's already played Star Wars: Fallen Order @Gremio108 which is Space Souls with some Uncharted/Tomb Raider blended in...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic