Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 6,441 to 6,460 of 6,464

XandertheWise

sort of playing Kombat league for Mortal Kombat 11 since today is the last day for the Kombat League Reptile skin going on. My points were decaying a little bit so had to do 2 or 3 kombat sets to raise them back up a little bit but not much. I only had to play through the stupid kombat league previously this month for the Reptile skin for Scorpion. the other rewards i dont care for too much

XandertheWise

Ralizah

I've been back on Bloodborne for a week or so (first time since 2015), and things were going smoothly, but Old Yharnam has proven to be a barrier yet again. Slogged through the Hunter gunner, now I'm back to Blood-Starved Beast kicking my butt again, despite having little issue with the first two bosses or almost any of the major bosses in Elden Ring and Dark Souls lol.

Which is funny, considering his counter windows are pretty generous with one of his attacks.

Still not a huge fan of this game, despite having a renewed appreciation for this developer's work.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

woollypump

I'm currently taking a break from Baldurs Gate III (in Act 3) to replay Bloodborne. Playing around with arcane this time, and went for the hunters axe for my starter weapon for the first time.

woollypump

Bentleyma

I am playing Digimon Survive. I’m impressed with how animated it is compared to most visual novels. The battle system seems decent, but I’m happy to see an auto battle option.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

Ralizah

Alright. BSB is dusted. So is Vicar Amelia. Also gained access to the Hypogean Gaol. The boars there are amazing for farming blood vials. Now it's off to fight the witches.

oliverp

Right so I have finally after some years begun to play God of War 3. It feels as such a cool and interesting game. Now as usual as is the case with me I dont expect to beat the game in a day or two as many of you here manage do to. It usually takes a little bit longer for me to finish a game. That dos however not mean that dont have a great time with the game (I really have). It feels so cool to finally play a God of War game again (a franchise which I have very found memories of playing some years ago). I really try to think and analyze things as I play and yeah might come back with a more proper review later but I can state Iam impressed with the game so far.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

oliverp

@LtStrage Its cool that you found Doom 3 to be good. I think I will pick up a copy of the game myself soon. That being said, I feel like Wolfenstein deserves some attention as well. I mean it often feels like people tend to focus more on Doom and forgot about the Wolfenstein franchise these days. Not sure if it is because of the 30 years anniversary that Doom and not Wolfenstein have gotten so much attention as of late. I do think in retrospect that Wolfenstein must also have been an influential franchise. Its a franchise which I think are cool at least and somewhat unique.

Edited on by oliverp

oliverp

Ralizah

Went back to Bloodborne today and have played a good deal. No idea how far in I am.

I don't know who Mergo is, but her Wet Nurse can bite me. I lost 30,000 souls to that thing. Although at least it's a real boss fight. That Micolash one was just pathetic. Weird ninny with a cage on his head runs around howling, and it seems random as to when he decides to run toward the room in that first area.

Still my least favorite Soulslike game from From Software to date.

edit: Wait... it's over?

That was anti-climactic.

Not as bad as the last bit of Elden Ring, at least. From Software can't end a game to save its life.

Couldn't have uninstalled it faster if I tried.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Depending on the choice you made and the ending you took @Ralizah there's at least 2 other fights, some bonus ones as well as a bunch of boss encounters in the chalice dungeons.

It's my least favourite FromSoft game as well actually

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@HallowMoonshadow The old dude decapitated me in the garden, and I woke up in town again. So... happy... ending...?

Yeah, I'm sure there's more content, but are all the endings just sort of abrupt like this? That's been my experience with all From Software games to date.

Oh, good, so I'm not the only one.

Boring environments. Limited customization. Way too many things that exist just to be a nuisance (like the gunner in Old Yharnam, or that building that kept shooting spikes at me in the Nightmare of Mensis). The game has decent music during some boss fights, but there's almost nothing otherwise musically.

I'm better at it in the sense that I wasn't continually getting lost like I did the first time, but it's still not particularly fun.

Performance and image quality are terrible. Dark Souls Remastered on Switch, of all things, looked so much better than this.

Like Super Mario 64 and the original Xenoblade Chronicles, I'm glad I finally beat it. But also like those games, I never want to play it again.

HallowMoonshadow

I'm not kinda sure myself if that's a good ending or not @Ralizah. Bloodborne is all about dreams and nightmares & it reminds me of that old chinese philosophical question of the butterfly.

Were you an ordinary human dreaming you were a hunter? Or a hunter dreaming you were ordinary? The cosmic horror elements of the second half don't help things

Saying no to Gerhman would've netted a fight against him which has some wonderful music and I really enjoyed the fight too.

The third end involves you needing all 3 umbilcal cords which then involves a fight against the "True?" antagonist??

I haven't played Elden Ring but I of the FS games I've played most are on the abrupt side though.

I'm not really fond of the weapons and the lack of build variety myself. Loved the art direction even if it is messy technically (Which FS aren't exactly great at)

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Ralizah @HallowMoonshadow Yeah, narratively speaking, FromSoft games are very cryptic and minimalist, in my limited experience. I’m not necessarily a Lovecraftian horror fan, but I did find Bloodborne’s storyline and ending better than Dark Souls and Demon’s Souls. I save scummed to get all three endings and they all had merit, but all ended rather abruptly, to be frank.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@HallowMoonshadow @Th3solution IMO there's a line where cryptic and minimalistic becomes underdeveloped, and FS games tend to fall on the wrong side of that for me (Elden Ring was actually a little better in that regard, at least).

I think something like SMT: Nocturne is a better example of an RPG that doesn't spoonfeed the plot to you, but gives you enough to go off of.

I dunno. I've found multiple aspects of these games I enjoy (ER and Dark Souls Remastered were both pretty good experiences for me overall), but I feel like From gets such a pass on basic aspects of game design that anyone else would get torched for messing up. There's a lot of potential for a really cool horror yarn in Bloodborne, but it never seems to materialize into anything.

Guess I should have chosen the other ending option, but I didn't backup my save so eh.

Edited on by Ralizah

Th3solution

@Ralizah It’s a good point. There’s been cryptic game plots that felt more satisfying. I’d go with one of my all-timers, Shadow of the Colossus as an example.

Part of it boils down to lack of any meaningful character development. The background narrative in these Souls games depends upon having some emotional investment in NPC and boss characters which honestly don’t have any real expansive portrayal. The games rely on exquisite art design to make boss characters feel menacing, but there’s not much writing to back it up. At least not without looking up their backstory online. The important NPC’s also tend to feel bland and usually one-note.

That said, the atmosphere and level design do keep me engaged, even if I can’t recount the actual plot lines of any of the From games I’ve played. 😅 A solid crescendo ending is so key to a good narrative, and the From games tend to rather go for frequent smaller climax moments and then end without much subsequent exposition. (I still have really enjoyed the From games I’ve played though, to be clear)

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Ralizah With all the Souls games I’ve ended up looking at a guide to get the “best” ending as some of them are so convoluted.

DS3 had some ludicrous thing involving speaking to hidden characters, getting married at an altar or something etc that o have no idea how anyone could discover for themselves.

Thrillho

Bentleyma

I'm currently playing through Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy. I said I wasn't going to get it day one, but I decided to treat it as a side game between all the big JRPG's that are out in the next few days. I'm going to try and finish an episode every few days.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

XandertheWise

going to jump back in WWE 2K22 this weekend a little bit before I buy and play WWE 2K24

XandertheWise

Tjuz

@Th3solution Well, well... I've given 13 Sentinels the proper shot earlier tonight. I finished the tutorial section, so I've met about seven of the protagonists and done an equal amount of combat in the around three hours of playtime. This game is a lot! Every single chapter it just throws new characters and storylines and sci-fi tropes at you to the point I can't differentiate my left from my right thumb. I am absolutely lost as to what's going on, but I think that's probably the expected reaction so far! None of this is necessarily a criticism, but I do hope the game gets a bit clearer about the happenings sooner rather than later. The key in a narrative like this is to at least feed the player regular reveals that it doesn't become just a tsunami of the unexplained. That would get tiring eventually, and I'll admit I'm already getting to a point where I'm needing a bit more of a baseline to hold onto before too many new plots or characters are introduced. I know the title promises thirteen Sentinels, but I hope they hold off on a few of those for a bit!

That said, the main gameplay loop has seemingly opened up now with the choices between Remembrance and Destruction. Looks like I'm going to have to be alternating in-between to progress the plot, which I assumed was just going to be a forced thing like it was in the tutorial. There the combat seemed to be fairly tied into the overall narrative, which if I can decide to do that at my own pace I imagine it's not so much going forward. I hope the combat part stays more than just a wave-based RTS from now on as busywork between story elements. I enjoy the combat though and so far it's been not at all challenging, so even if not I imagine I'll get through it fairly quickly and it won't be too much of a hassle. Not like I'm going to up the difficulty there to spend more time with it!

The art style is absolutely gorgeous. I think it's genuinely some of the most beautiful art I've ever seen in gaming. The animations too are so much more detailed and bountiful than I would've expected from what is essentially a fancy visual novel in its gameplay. My one complaint with it is Ms. Morimura's character design. It's... eh, a little repulsive. Now I get that Japanese art will often have overly sexualised character designs for female characters, whether it be in anime or in video games, but she sticks out like a sore thumb with the size of her melons. It's not like the character design of any of the other characters so far is quite to that level (apart from maybe the slightly too suggestive poses some have in their Sentinel portraits), so it just makes her look ridiculous. It's hard for me to take the character seriously when I'm constantly thinking about her design whenever she's on-screen, but I suppose I'll get used to it eventually. It's not like I'm a prude or anything, but I just don't think that type of art is very tasteful in these settings. At least not in what is otherwise a very serious narrative.

I'm also quite pleased with the English dub so far. I debated whether or not I should play the game in Japanese as my general rule with non-English entertainment is to watch/play it in the language it was originally created in, but I figured I probably cannot even differentiate subtitle language/audio language in this game. Besides, it's a very wordy one and playing in a foreign language definitely takes a bit more attention and energy, so I didn't want to burn myself out either if I was gonna get addicted to this. I know English dubs are often quite controversial amongst fandoms in terms of their quality, but I think this one in particular is on the right side of it all so far.

That's probably about all I've got to say for now, but I'll get back to you when I get further into the game or when more thoughts come to mind!

Tjuz

Ralizah

Maneater. It looked like a throwback to cheapo PS2 games I used to play back in the day, and... honestly, yeah, it fits that vibe. It's weirdly addicting power-leveling my shark by flipping around the ocean like a coked-up chupmunk as I eat humans and slam myself into the sides of their ships, murdering my way through a parade of absurd celebrity shark hunters. Underwater combat sucks, which is most of it, but, eh, I wasn't expecting a good game.

It is pretty funny when you get hunters sufficiently angry, because once enough boats are out on the water shooting at you the framerate absolutely tanks. We're talking single-digit slideshow territory.

But I'm a mutating killer shark, and the game cost me $5 on Amazon, so I'm satisfied!

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic