Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,261 to 1,280 of 2,111

Th3solution

@DonJorginho Of those, I’ve only played 2 of them and I can definitely echo @LN78 who said it well, RDR2 is a masterpiece for sure and that is a great price for what is on the order of a 80 hour campaign, but could easily take longer if you want to do and see it all, not to mention you’ve got oodles of content in the free add-on Red Dead Online, which is a whole separate entity to spend your time in, and one that I honestly haven’t even touched. The single player story was so great that I haven’t felt the need to play around online, but I hear it’s a decent addition if that type of thing is your cup of tea.

I will say that RDR2 has a novel approach compared to other open world games and is uniquely ‘Western’ in the style of play it encourages. And what I mean is that it’s a little bit slower moving / less kinetic from a control standpoint. Many people’s first impressions of the game is that Arthur controls awkwardly and with too much ‘weight’ but I do think it’s semi-intentional and fits the themes of being a gunslinger at the turn of the 19th century. I’m not particularly a fan of Western movies, but I am an American so the themes resonate with me, so also fair warning that you may not find the setting interesting if you’re not a history buff. Also, as LN points out, it is much better if you played the first game. It’s not necessarily an absolute, because the game is a prequel to the first RDR but it enhances the story to know what occurs later. The lack of a remaster of the first game does hinder things if you haven’t played it, and I would say if you haven’t and aren’t into PS3 ‘retro’ gaming or don’t have PS Now, then you can skip it if you absolutely have to, buy some moments won’t be as impactful.
The RDR2 topic has lots of discussion from myself and others, if you’re motivated to drudge through it. But yes, you’ll find a lot of early impressions complain about the controls, but then by the end, everyone who makes it to that point adores what the game accomplished and how compelling the narrative is and how intricately crafted the open world is.

The other I played was No Man’s Sky and honestly I was disappointed. But I am probably being unfair because I didn’t play these latest patches and the game is supposedly hardly recognizable from what was rolled out at release. Still, I can’t imagine it has anything on the order of the quality of RDR2, although it’s a completely different style of game I realize.

I’m waiting for Control’s price to drop from that number, personally. I think it will in short order. Outer Worlds seems good at that price. I’ve actually seen AC Odyssey for a smidge less than that on occasion - I think I saw it for $15 a time or two, but I have already picked it up at roughly that price for my backlog and wished I would have waited because the price dropped so quick. Still, for the content and what people say, that is more than a fair price, I would guess. And Prey is supposed to be great and for £5 there is almost no risk. It’s not quite my type of game, but everyone seems to like it. Modern Warfare should drop from that price before too long, I’m guessing.

Some great games there and probably not a wrong choice among them!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

DonJorginho

@Th3solution @nessisonett @LN78 Thank you all for the feedback! I have completed RDR 1 and have actually played RDR 2, I have put in around 25 hours and loved it but sold it when it took up space on my HDD, but since buying a new 2TB External I have space so am thinking of rebuying it!

I was likely going to pick RDR2 or Prey as the other games do not interest me as much and Modern Warfare is too much for what it is in truth.

I think I will pop to the shop to get RDR2 after work!

DonJorginho

nessisonett

@DonJorginho Yeah, I got Modern Warfare free with my Pro and the campaign is brilliant but about 4 hours long. The multiplayer has great gameplay but I just don’t feel any progression with it, in the way that 2 felt on PS3. It’s great fun playing local with my wee brother and bots but I wouldn’t recommend it at that price.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

KALofKRYPTON

@DonJorginho
Just my 2 cents on No Man's Sky.
I loved it on release. It didn't disappoint me and was exactly what I was expecting. As others have said, it is a much expanded and refined experience now though. I last tried it after the 'Next' update, and was a little bewildered by the extent of the changes if I'm honest. As a newcomer, I think it's a good bet if it is what you're looking for.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

DonJorginho

@KALofKRYPTON I am looking to make about two purchases as Doom Eternal looks like a game I will enjoy but pick up on sale, same for RE3, I will likely not be buying any 2020 games till FF7.

It looks really interesting and the comeback Hello Games have achieved is amazing, I am really intrigued to see what it has to offer.

DonJorginho

Th3solution

@DonJorginho I don’t know if you’re consumer sensibilities will allow you to buy pre-owned (I respect that some people don’t do it in principle because the developer misses out on their cut) but a used copy of No Man’s Sky can likely be found for a song. I know because I tried to sell my copy at GameStop over a year ago and they were offering me an insulting $1 or $2 for the trade in value. I get more credit than that for selling back a piddling Telltale game. Suffice it to say I just kept it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution It was interesting to chart the resale price of the game. I saw it as low as £6 within the first few months of release. It went up to around £12 a little while after, then after 'Next' I don't thing I've seen it less than £15.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON Hmm, sure enough. I was trying to sell it pre-Beyond and Next. I didn’t think to check the value after the updates because I don’t think I’ve ever seen a current gen game increase in value a couple years after release unless it was a limited release Japanese game or something. But the GameStop internet buy back price is now $9 for PS4, and $13 for the XB1 version. If they would have offered me that back when I tried to sell it I would have probably taken it. But now, I think I’ll hold onto it in case I ever want to see what Next and Beyond are all about.

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution It's interesting. I'm trying to think of something else this gen' that got a bit of a mauling on release, dropped heavily in price relatively quickly at retail and resale then went back up.

I think DriveClub may have. The Division and The Crew maybe did too...

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah, I can’t think of any similar examples either. There are a few that just seem to keep their value for an unusually long time, but not ones that go up in value. Just think, I could have invested in No Man’s Sky instead of the stupid stock market and made like a 30% ROI. Just buy a million used copies, hold onto them for a year and then sell them back. I could have retired early and lived the rest of my days like a King. 😜

Edit: @LN78 oh yeah, BF2 is a good shout. That thing was pulled out of the mire and had a resurgence as well.

Edited on by Th3solution

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 Trust me to miss the most obvious one! I think I even got it for £12 not really that long ago.

@Th3solution If I had the money for a million cheap used copies of NMS, I'd be living like a King already!

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON Ha, ha! Touché.

ZeroOverOne

@DonJorginho Definitely RDR2 and AC: Odyssey. Both games that u will sink hours into, also may I know from where are u finding these kinds of bargains?

Edited on by ZeroOverOne

ZeroOverOne

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution I tried Shadow of Mordor, the environments were just way too bland and drab for my liking, there is way too much green and I expected Shadow of War to be more of the same so I didn't play it, but if you say the environments are more varied I might give it a go? Regard LotR I just finished the Hobbit and am moving on to The Fellowship of the Ring now.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Th3solution

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Thar’s too bad it didn’t click with you, but I’m not surprised by your being put off by the drab environment. I never played Shadow of War, but I expect it takes place at the same basic world, so it will have the same monotonous environments.

Edited on by Th3solution

HallowMoonshadow

Seen NieR Automata: Game Of The yoHRa Edition for a pretty darn good price physically (A steal at £14) ... Was just wondering if anyone knows if it has the DLC & patches on disc or is it a code?

My internet is so slow at the moment that waiting hours for all that potential downloading will drive me batty 😂

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Thrillho

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I don’t know but I think I might have had the DLC but never bothered with it as I think it just adds some costumes and then a battle arena, neither of which I could be bothered with. I really wouldn’t let it be a dealbreaker as to whether to get it!

Thrillho

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution I gave it a go, there seems to be more variety in the environments, - real cities are available, etc. .It's more in the vein of The Witcher 3, so far. Did you like any of The Witcher games? Obviously it can't compare to TW3, it's just too good, one of the best rpgs of all time. I am thinking of playing Elsweyr and the other Elder Scrolls online games, would you recommend any of those? Did you read any of the Tolkien books yourself?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Th3solution

@Draco_V_Ecliptic That’s good to hear. I saw Shadow of War for really cheap the other day and halfway considering buying. Alas, I have a really large backlog as it is. I’m ashamed to say that I haven’t really developed he passion for The Witcher 3 that most gamers have. I liked it alright, but only played about 5 hours before I got distracted to other games and I just have never felt impressed to return to it yet. Likewise, I never played ESO or any of its iterations, but I would consider Skyrim, despite all its faults, as one of my all time favorite game experiences.

I do absolutely love the Tolkien LotR books and consider them among my favorite works of literature. The way that the books have revolutionized high fantasy cannot be overstated. More than anything, I love the message — the small, simple, everyday person is the true hero among the big, strong, and physically mighty. Also the redemption arc of the King of Gondor, among others. Even with how excellent the movies are, I think the books still carry an emotion and power that the films cannot. The Hobbit as a book is also a good read, but not quite as symbolic and impactful as the trilogy, imho.

HallowMoonshadow

Ahh ok. Well it's still cheaper then a base copy @KratosMD and it's brand new so... It's definitely worth it either way still!

I certainly won't pass it up @Thrillho! Was just hoping of a little less faffing about!

Cheers guys!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic