Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 2,111

HallowMoonshadow

Didn't expect Gravity Rush to inspire such a huge conversation!

Thanks @Ralizah, @Th3solution , @Kidfried , @RogerRoger , @Octane , @KALofKRYPTON for all the info and responses even if it was I liked the first better or something

Turns out there's a little demo on the store for the second Gravity Rush i didn't know about soooo... I can have a little go myself (Well maybe two or three times) and keep in mind all the lovely info you guys gave too

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

sorineduard99

Dude I go full Berserk if this site freaking trolled me , i posted a question in the forum , created a topic , where is it ? Does it take to be confirmed by admin or what?

sorineduard99

JohnnyShoulder

@sorineduard99 Most likely because it is against forum rules to post duplicate topics. That kind of stuff just post it in this thread and it will be all good.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

dd8900

Any recommendations for a light RPG/Adventure game? I don't have much time these days to sink 100+ in games any longer. Something I don't need to invest a ton of time in? Do games like this still exist?

dd8900

FullMetalWesker

@dd8900 - How small a time-frame are you thinking? 30-40 hours? Or smaller than that?

FullMetalWesker

JohnnyShoulder

@dd8900 GreedFall and The Outer Worlds are supposed to be a bit shorter than your typical RPG. I've not played either so can't comment on how good they are.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@dd8900 I’m assuming by “adventure” you mean “full of action and plot” rather than an “Adventure” point and click style game in the truest sense of the the term.
Yeah, short RPGs seem to be more rare these days. Depending on your preference, the 3 Tomb Raider games are certainly adventuresome with light RPG, and the other they comes to mind is Marvel’s Spider-Man. You level up and assign skill points and have a limited customizable equipment. Those games are more action oriented with very light RPG elements and last in the neighborhood of 15-30 hours depending how much time you explore and do side activities. It’s quite a bit longer, but Horizon Zero Dawn is also light on the RPG, very adventuresome, and shorter than say a Red Dead 2, Persona 5, or Assassin’s Creed Odyssey 100 hour marathon. HZD is more like 40-60 hours, so still long, but very engaging.

On a separate note, I had my own question:
So with Nioh coming next week to PS Plus, I’m curious about it.
For the veterans out there — for a relative Soulsborne novice, what’s the recommendation of Dark Souls vs. Nioh?
I just read the Push Square review of Nioh and it sounds good and maybe a tad more approachable than the Dark Souls games. The Borderlands style loot finding sounds great and it looks like there is more opportunity to make up for poor skill by grinding and finding superior loot and crafting equipment. Is this true?
Also the ki recovery system sounds a little like the Bloodborne mechanic of being able to get back a little health by being aggressive which makes for a more action oriented gameplay.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

dd8900

Thanks everyone. I think I'll give The Outer Worlds a try. I suppose for me it's less about the overall games length and more about the complexity (if that makes sense). Old Zelda games, Fable; sit down and play for an hour and make progress and advance the story. Complex open world games seem daunting to me these days.

dd8900

Genrou

@dd8900 I have been enjoying The Outer Worlds the past few days. It's not a long RPG (Nothing like say Dragon Quest XI in length) but it has a great story. And really it's only as long as you want to make it by exploring and such.

Genrou

Gremio108

@Th3solution I had a harder time with Nioh, presumably because I'm used to the slightly slower nature of Dark Souls, so you'll probably be all right. The loot is good, although there is a heck of a lot of it, and you end up selling loads off at the end of each mission, making it a game of inventory management at times. Thankfully the menu system is good - you can 'favourite' your preferred items so you don't accidentally sell them off, and you can break armour down and take the buffs to apply them to a different piece of armour instead.

The only thing I'd say - make sure you meet the stats required to wear armour. It's easy to miss the fact that you don't have enough vitality/dexterity/whatever to match the item - the number simply shows up red instead of white, but because you can still equip it, it's easily overlooked. This will make sense when you play it. I went for quite a while without realising that I wan't getting the benefit of the armour I was wearing because I didn't meet the stat requirements. It let me wear it anyway, but it turned out that looking like a badass wasn't enough to stop the enemies killing me.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

R1spam

@dd8900 if you've never played it and like south park, the stick of truth is a great 15-20hr hilarious rpg. Maybe worth a pop after outer worlds.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

Th3solution

@Gremio108 Ok, it sounds good. I’m not sure when I’ll get the itch for a Soulsborne style game again. Every time I think I want to start one, I second guess myself.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution @Gremio108 I'm defo going to download and will give it a go at some point. I did play the demo a while but it didn't click with me for some reason. I am willing have another crack at it though.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@Th3solution I really enjoyed Nioh and it is more Bloodborne than Souls. The USP of having different stances with each weapon (high stance for slower, harder attacks with medium and low stances quicker but less powerful) is really neat.

I found the best way to get good gear was to resurrect people via the online component and cheese to victory with a spear from distance.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I thought I'd move the conversation over here, to keep things tidy in their relevant topics, because I wanted to ask you whether you've played Journey and Flower, in addition to ABZÛ, and if so, which one was your favourite?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Wise move, I feel better about expounding my thoughts over here.

Yeah, I’ve played all three. Flower I even played on PS3 and then replayed on Vita.

First, Journey. Journey is a little bit polarizing. At the time it came out, it was doing something new, the likes of which hadn’t really been done before (Funny that we are having similar discussion about Death Stranding now), at least not quite in the same way. Many will argue that the game is boring, tedious, and pointless. Pundits say that it’s overhyped by Sony fanboys who are blinded by their console allegiance (sound familiar yet?) etc, etc. For me I have to admit that I bought into the hype and played it after all the 10/10 reviews and Game of the Year awards and I was a little disappointed. That said, I appreciate the game for its artistic merit, unconventional approach, and trailblazing new ideas into gaming art. It’s probably worth experiencing because of its role in gaming history. I won’t overstate and say the game created some kind of Renaissance of gaming art, but with the focus on the sublime and the interesting approach to online player interaction, I think it holds a place of influence. It helped bolster indie style games like Abzu, Rime, and The Unfinished Swan. It’s probably a stretch since I haven’t played it but perhaps even a tiny smudge of its DNA could be found in Breath of the Wild (the openness and wandering “play at your own pace and enjoy the journey” aspect)
Anyways, I was lukewarm on it and only experienced it once. I think there increased depth to the game if you replay it. I’m also not sure how active the online community is now, which is part of the cool aspects to the game when you get to hang out with a random anonymous stranger who drops in.

I actually enjoyed Flower more. Actually it’s probably my favorite of the bunch, despite it being the most simplistic. It’s gaming concept is a little more concrete, although still obtuse and artsy enough to be unconventional. The integration of music and gameplay is genius.

Abzu is a game thats probably somewhere in between, conceptually. It’s less abstract than Journey but the gameplay is more varied and deeper than Flower.

All three of these games are great to play alone on a quiet Sunday afternoon while it’s raining outside and you’ve nothing to distract you. They probably won’t translate well to spectating a playthrough, so if you watch your partner play or he watches you, then it may come across as more boring to the viewer. I don’t know. Each of them were enjoyable to me, but I can understand if people don’t “get” them. Some people gotta have their explosions and spews of blood to feel like they are getting quality game time. And that’s fine. But I have a feeling you’ll appreciate them for what they are. After playing Abzu you’ll know whether you can tolerate another of the same ilk.

Edited on by Th3solution

JohnnyShoulder

Preffered Abzu to Journey for the reasons @Th3solution mentioned above. Enjoyed them both though but they are an acquired taste. The perfect games for when you fancy a change or inbetween games.

Thrillho

I thought Journey was a neat game for the most part but when it suddenly dawned on me that the other character I’d been following for a while was another human rather than part of the game, it made it more unique.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Thank you for taking the time on such an in-depth answer! Wasn't expected but is very much appreciated, especially since you inadvertently touched upon one of the reasons I've avoided Journey in past sales, namely that it carries around this saintly reputation. Whenever I've come late to the party on similar, highly-regarded pieces of art, I've been disappointed (and yes, despite knowing this, I'm gonna wait to play Death Stranding). I'll try and keep some context in mind if and when I play it; I'll likely try Flower first, though, given what you say.

And thanks for the thought about spectating but never fear, as my PS4 lives in my apartment, so my partner wouldn't be watching me play anything on it anyway. That's purely a set-up we have for his Switch, at his place. I agree that, with games like RiME, actually being in control and guiding everything through to its conclusion is a big part of the overall artistic impact.

@JohnnyShoulder @Thrillho Thanks for your thoughts as well, folks. Good to hear another vote in favour of ABZÛ and yeah, knowing the "twist" of Journey reminds me of why I'll never watch The Sixth Sense, because somebody told me about Bruce Willis. I'll see how I get on!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger You’re very welcome. I’m happy to share.

Speaking of... The Sixth Sense is awesome! Too bad you had it ruined for you! I think the movie still holds up upon rewatch, even knowing the end. 😄

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic