Forums

Topic: E3 2017 -OT-

Posts 1 to 20 of 80

AdamNovice

From the highly overrated forum thread (How Sony should book PSX 2016) comes the sequel that no one asked for. As before this my predictions on how Sony can ensure a great show. While my predictions for PSX were quite outlandish, this one will be more grounded in what realistically Sony can do. Let us know your thoughts and predictions but for now… Sony...Do it better!

Like last year Sony should structure it with wall to wall games and lack of filler though I wouldn't repeat the orchestra spot again as it's bound to have less impact then last year.
For the first game it should be a first party one, which is why Sony should start with… Sucker Punch's new IP, it’ll be an open world affair but much more story driven. Shawn Layden will take the stage and do his usual thing before introducing us to Destiny 2 (kick-starting the Activision section of the show) it looks like more Destiny shock horror. CoD WW2 is next and we get the Normandy landings gameplay plus a reminder of Modern Warfare’s standalone release. Activision's wares ends with a new Crash trailer which shows Crash 3 for the first time.
Shuei Yoshida takes the stage to introduce the sequel to “one of the critically acclaimed of recent times”... Bloodborne 2. We’re shown a CGI trailer of a new city with a narrator saying “the treachery of Bergenwerth reached far and wide”. The game is scheduled for a early 2018 launch. We then get a brief teaser of a Horizon story expansion but no release date. Days Gone then gets new gameplay which shows more of the typical gameplay loop and how combat with humans plays out, no release date though. Next up is Gran Turismo Sport which shows it's VR content which begins the little VR section, a final date for GT Sport is revealed. New VR content for Star Wars Battlefront 2 is revealed along with a new PSVR exclusive game from Sony.
Next, Sony spring a surprise... PlayStation All-stars 2 is in development and it’s still a smash bros style game. Kratos, Nathan Drake, Aloy and Ellie confirmed characters. God of War is next and we get a more combat focused trailer with a early 2018 release. First gameplay of the new Batman Arkham style game from WB Montreal which features Damian Wayne as Batman.
Death Stranding shows a new character trailer which shows Emma Stone’s character, still no idea what the game is.
Home stretch now, we get Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite which announces 4 new fighters...Dante, Arthur, Star Lord and Spiderman. This leads into a new trailer for Spiderman by Insomniac which gets a new subtitle and first gameplay.
The final gameplay trailer shown is...Red Dead Redemption 2. As the show wraps up we get a new trailer for The Last of Us Part 2 which shows more of Ellie and more hints as to where the story is going.

And that's how Sony should book E3 2017, let us know what you think.

Edited on by Tasuki

AdamNovice

Twitter:

Octane

Sony builds the biggest projector and points it at the Moon, making the entire conference watchable from Europe in the middle of the night. Announces the Last of Us 3 before announcing the sequel to Shuhei Yoshida, a genetically engineered clone that hands out free PS4s to everyone for the remainder of 2017. Everybody wins.

Octane

BAMozzy

Personally I liked Sony's structure last year that kept 'Chat' to a minimum. I would have preferred a bit more though as it was rather short and only showed around 10 games - a couple of those were 3rd party games with some 'exclusivity' and/or marketing deal - like Call of Duty and Resident Evil 7. I expect we will see CoD, Destiny, SW:BF2 and RDR2 occupying a sizeable chunk - which annoys me!! I really don't agree with 3rd Party deals anyway but to have these occupying 'Sony's' E3 briefing is wrong!!! Its not as if these games won't be on other platforms and I think E3 should be purely about Sony's own games and hardware. Its not as if Sony didn't have games that 'could' have been shown - Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh and Nier - as well as games like Hellblade, Dreams, Wild to name a few - as well as VR and Indie games.

No doubt we will get to see a bit more on Last of Us 2, God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted: Lost Legacy and my most anticipated, Days Gone. Probably some surprises too and hopefully some release dates too. I can see Sony dropping the price of the Pro - $349 maybe $329 around £300 anyway. It could depend on how much Scorpio is launching at - maybe they won't need to...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

AdamNovice

@BAMozzy Yeah but those 3rd party games are more likely to sell more PS4s then Sony's exclusives. As much as we hardcore gamers love to see Persona, Gravity Rush and Nioh get the spotlight, it's the CoDs and Red Deads that keep PS4 competitive if they market it like "the PS4 version is the most desirable one".

AdamNovice

Twitter:

BAMozzy

adf86 wrote:

...they market it like "the PS4 version is the only one".

Corrected LOL

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Octane

BAMozzy wrote:

Probably some surprises too

Sucker Punch is working on something. Japan Studio too, they usually release something noteworthy each year, and they haven't announced anything for 2018 yet. Unless they're bringing Deep Down back...

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

I think less chat, more content. Just wall to wall real releases that are clearly coming our way in the latter half of 2017 and 2018. This is the best way to combat what Microsoft are going to bring because they will probably focus on hardware because that's what they got. Keep hammering home the 'gamer' aspect.

I'd love the whole thing to be filmed and released in close to real time on PSVR to give some support and help show it is a part of the Sony family.

I want Hideo Kojima nowhere near the stage, because he'll have nothing to show other than more cryptic trailers or details for a game that is more than likely not going to launch this generation. Of course, that won't be the case, he'll be wheeled out but it is just annoying me.

I expect some Horizon Zero Dawn DLC announcements personally, maybe with a release date. Spiderman gameplay demo plus some out of left field choices. I doubt we will see much more TLOU2 because they are plums deep in Mocap and development and I felt that first reveal trailer was very well planned in advance.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

BAMozzy

@Octane Sucker Punch have been quiet for too long. Their last game released in 2014 - Both Infamous games - so I expect to see what they have been working on. Japan Studio have/are bringing us Everybody's Golf and Knack 2 (expected) this year and Deep Down is still in development so maybe that's 1 of the games for 2018.

Personally I am interested to see what Sucker Punch are working on but I have little interest in Japan Studios. So far they have not published a game I really want but they could always surprise me. Deep Down has potential but I can't see I am 'excited' by it based on the limited info so far.

I think we know what most first party studio's are working on. I doubt we will have confirmation on what Guerrilla Games will be following up Horizon:ZD with - we expect a sequel but at most we will possibly get some DLC content from them rather than news on their 'next' game. Their Japanese owned studio's rarely get a mention at E3 and are saved for the Tokyo Game Show so I doubt we will see too much from them.

Personally I think this years E3 will be relatively quiet. That doesn't mean that I think it will be 'poor' but I can't see Sony having much to announce on hardware. Its too early to announce PS5, even though I still expect that to arrive around Q4 2018. They could to try and take some 'thunder' from MS and Scorpio but I do expect a price drop. I can see Scorpio launching at £400 (+/- £25-30), so dropping the price to £300ish seems logical. I know people expect the Scorpio to be closer to £500 but I can't see MS launching at that price considering you can buy an XB1s (with 4k Bluray) for £200 so you could buy both a PS4 Pro and XB1s for that price and play all the games anyway.

Point I am making is that as far as Hardware goes, I can't see too many big announcements - at most a first party DS4 'Elite' type controller but I doubt it. Sony are more likely to let the games do the talking - like last year and they do have some big 3rd party deals to show off - CoD:WW2, Destiny 2, RDR2 and SW:BF2 (a lot of 2's LOL). I expect the like Uncharted: Lost Legacy and some new footage of Last of Us 2 as well as GoW, Days Gone and Spider-Man to try and respond to MS and their Scorpio announcement.

Octane

@BAMozzy A lot of people have been saying Bloodborne 2. I could see them announcing some exclusive PS4 third party games, but these are more than likely going to be Japanese, and are maybe better fit for TGS as you said. With GOW, TLOU 2 and Dreams, it feels like we already know half of their 2018 release schedule.

Octane

BAMozzy

@Octane Bloodborne 2 is unlikely it seems. From Software were said to be working on a 'new' IP so I would be surprised if we see another Bloodborne soon.

Games like GoW and Dreams could well arrive in 2018 but I would be surprised if the TLoU2 arrives that early. I expect Days Gone and Spider-Man to arrive either the latter part of this year or 2018 at the latest. TLoU2 only had a CGi teaser trailer - no actual game-play. This is why I think we may see a bit more from ND. Its one of the biggest and strongest games in their library. Games like GoW and Dreams will be more of a 'cult' following but TLoU2 is the game that could push Uncharted 4 off the top spot in terms of 'exclusive' sales figures and sell consoles. TLoU Remastered is the 2nd best selling exclusive on PS4 (with Nathan Drake collection in 3rd). Days Gone, like Horizon:ZD, is a new IP and seems to be getting a similar response that did - looks good but what's the story like, will it have good side quests, not another 'zombie' game etc etc and whilst its a must buy for me, I don't know if many others will be jumping in - at least not for the first few weeks or so.

In the past two years, Sony have showcased a new IP at E3 that has 'wow' factor and big western appeal. Horizon with its gorgeous world and robot dino's, Days Gone with its sheer number of enemies and another wonderful looking open world playground. I wouldn't be surprised if this year we get whatever Sucker Punch has to offer - its believed to be a new IP too.

Octane

@BAMozzy FromSoftware isn't a small studio though, and Sony will probably aid in the development of Bloodborne 2. I could see Bloodborne 2 releasing next year, with their own original game in 2019, or the other way around!

Good point, there's a trend of new IPs being shown at E3. Could that also mean that we're looking at a spring 2018 release for Days Gone? No idea when GOW will come out though.

I know people say that TLOU2 is still years away, but I'm not so sure about that. They probably started immediately after the first game, or the remaster. But that's 3-4 years ago. Late summer 2018 release for TLOU2? Possible imo. Or they pull a Nintendo, delay the game and turn it into a launch title for the PS5 in 2019.

Octane

HungryWolf

With Microsoft presenting a new console, Sony should repeat the structure of last E3 (it's all about the games, keep talk to a minimum).

Here is my prediction on how it will go, base in what happened in 2015 and 2016:

• The opening with a surprise comeback (first-party game): a game that I would love to see a comeback is a new inFamous game with Cole McGrath and developed by Sucker Punck. The chances of this happening are slim due to the reports that the new Sucker Punch game being a new IP.
  • The new IP (first-party game): the second game is a new IP by a first-party studio. If reports are accurate, the new IP will be brought by Sucker Punch.
  • The exclusives: Detroit, Dreams, GT Sport, Days Gone, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Spiderman (revealing the full name of the game) and DLC: Horizon ZD Expansion.
  • The surprises: it could be anything, like new games or demos.
  • The partnerships: games like CoD WWII, Battlefront 2 and Destiny 2 would be present.
  • The closing (first-party game): here I would finish with gameplay of God of War.

I left out Death Stranding and The Last of Us part II, unless they have gameplay to show.
Rockstar doesn't care about E3, so they will show more Red Dead Redemption 2 when they want.

Edited on by HungryWolf

HungryWolf

BAMozzy

@Octane I know they are not a 'small' studio but From Software have been working on Dark Souls 3 DLC and a new IP. I expect they had a smallish team on the DLC but I doubt they are that far in to a Bloodborne sequel - if they have even started development. Studio's can be a different stages in a games development - you can't have those that are working on certain parts until other parts are done - for example, you can't start animating dialogue until the characters have recorded it and they can't record it until the script is written and the the game 'storyboarded'. This means that you can have staff working on different games at different stages as they pass along the chain.

I wouldn't be surprised if Days Gone follows on from Horizon, Uncharted (a bit later in the year but still first half) and Bloodbourne as the first 'big' exclusive that arrives in the new year. Spider-Man could also fit into that time-line too - just depends how close these are to being ready. I would expect Spider-Man to try and release this year to land whilst the Movie is still relatively current - even though its separate.

According to ND, they really were unsure about doing a Last of Us 2 and fully committed to Uncharted 4 and Nathan Drakes final adventure. Unless that was purely to keep it secret, its very early in its development - I believe they said as much last year at E3 too so I would be very surprised if we see this arrive until Q42018 - probably in 2019 at the earliest. That would be 3yrs after Uncharted 4.

The new IP is most likely to come from Sucker Punch in my opinion. They are rumoured to be working on something new so that could cover that area...

FullbringIchigo

well i'm hoping that we get some FFVII Remake news myself BUT

i reckon we will get some more features for the PS4/PS4 Pro announced, as for games

i think Uncharted The Lost Legacy will be shown in some way, some Horizon Zero Dawn DLC, news on Last of Us 2 & God of War 4, a section on Indi Titles and some time on 3rd party games, probably Call of Duty

i also think they will have something to counter the Scorpio (as i'm guessing this will be the focus on the MS event), seems as though MS always seem to go first they will need to have something to pull back the lime light, perhaps a PS4 Pro Slim or they might just name drop the PS5 even though it won't be releasing anytime soon

outside chance of some PS Vita news but i won't hold by breath

and of course a section on the PSVR showing upcoming Games (also hoping for a price drop myself, it's still far too expensive for the average joe)

then it will end with a montage of all the new announcements set to some cheesy music

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Kogorn733

I'm hoping that Sony will keep up the momentum of announcing/producing games OTHER THAN shooters, which it thankfully has been doing recently. There are far too many FPS games out there now, and a change in industry direction is needed.

Kogorn733

BAMozzy

@Kogorn733 The only 2 'shooters' that Sony had were Killzone and Resistance. Other games have 'shooting' but mainly as a by product of the setting. Games like Uncharted, Last of Us, Days Gone and even Horizon have 'shooting' too but obviously these are all third person.

I think there is nothing wrong with first person shooters and these can still be very different and interesting too. Its no different from the variety of third person shooters like those I mentioned above. Story and mechanics can separate them - look at Resistance and how that differed from Killzone, look at how Destiny differs from Titanfall, look at how Battlefield differs from CoD, look at how Doom differed from Wolfenstein. So they all fit into the FPS genre but that doesn't make them all the same. Sony don't need to make FPS games as they have 3rd Party developers offering those and partnered with Destiny, CoD and SW:BF.

It seems at the moment, the open world genre is the most popular and common. Most of these are 3rd Person too and the first person genre is limited to the franchise FPS games. What would be novel is a first person open world RPG. I know Fallout can be played in 1st person but its doesn't have the best mechanics compared to proper FPS games.

If you don't like a genre, it can seem there is always a lot of them.

ThroughTheIris56

I think we're all in the same camp, that lots of footage and trailers, and minimum talking makes for a better conference.

New announcements, everyone has their eyes on Sucker Punch. It's been ages since their last game, they're due for something soon. If not it's either a cause for concern or it's something massive. Pixelopus should be due for something if they're actually still around.

As for footage for existing games, I'm sure we'll see Days Gone, God Of War, GT Sport and Detroit. Not to mention release dates as well.

I reckon we'll see a bit of the same old 3rd part stuff: Battlefront, Destiny and COD. Expect this time the COD hype is real!

Maybe footage and news for quiet games like: Wild, Dreams and Matterfall.

I wouldn't bet my life on it but Bloodborne 2 is plausible. It's been almost 2 years since the first game, and there most recent game came out over a year ago which is a long time by FromSoftware standards. It's likely they'll have something to announce soon even if it isn't BB2. However given the popularity and success of the first, I think many will agree a sequel is likely.

I can dream for PSASBR 2 and Ape Escape 4 announcements, or anything new from Japan Studio. Apparently they're meant to have something big in the works, possibly a big JRPG.

Finally if it's at the conference (which I reckon it will be), they'll finish with TLOU2.

ThroughTheIris56

thatguyEZ

Bloodborne 2. From has said they're working on a brand new IP, Armored Core, and one that fans will be quite familiar with and one of them is 'dark fantasy.' I read somewhere that one is with Sony, but I only saw that once so I'd take that with a large chunk of salt. I suppose they could pull a Demon Soul's and create something that's Bloodborne in everything but name. But I really don't think Sony is going to let this little bird get away as it seems they learned their lesson when Dark Souls blew up. I honestly expect to see it, with gameplay, possibly in the middle or ending the conference, and a release date for later this year or at latest March of 2018. I really can't see them not doing this and its likely what Japan Studio is doing as well. Though if they don't announce it I'll be a sad bear.

I also expect to see Sucker Punch start it, I think there's little doubt of that. I really expect it to be totally different than Infamous kinda like Guerrilla with Horizon.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some Last of Us Part 2. I think they might show it at PSX and E3 until it comes out, as I think Sony will be trying to shout this from the rooftops.

I think Spiderman is going to be there with some gameplay and possibly a 2018 release.

Third party stuff will be there, but I just pray it doesn't take too long. I'm really not a fan of showing off 3rd party stuff on Sony/Xbox stages. As long as peeps know it'll be available on the system that's fine. I think Activision will be trying to knock Destiny 2 out of the park given how much of a joke Destiny became.

Crash may be there, or an announcement that PSOne classics will be available on PS4 would be fantastic.

Days Gone will likely be there as well. I need to see more of that before I make a judgement on it. Hopefully it'll surprise me.

Hopefully Kojima isn't there. I love the guy, MGS is one of my favorite series, but we all know that game won't be out until 2019-2020. It'd be great to see it before then, but I don't see it happening.

A Vita 2 would be awesome

I think that's it though. Hopefully they'll have some good VR content, as I'm a bit worried they're cool on the VR thing. I don't expect any hardware stuff, other than maybe a price drop on the Pro to try and steal MS's thunder. A PS5 announcement for 2018 would be pretty funny though.

Honestly all I really care about is Bloodborne 2. If they have that, then it'll be a fantastic showing as far as I'm concerned.

thatguyEZ

PSN: NanoNekomata | Twitter:

AdamNovice

@thatguyEZ Take this with a huge pinch of salt but Marvel's main gaming guy who's done the deals with Sony for Spiderman and Avengers with Square Enix etc recently was asked about VR and he said they have got VR stuff in the pipeline that they are excited about and hope to announce soon. Dare I say that Spiderman PS4 may have VR content or if we can dream, the whole game in VR? It sounds implausible but Insomniac themselves recently did a 3rd person VR game for Occulus Rift so who knows.

AdamNovice

Twitter:

Nei

I really don't know what to expect from Sony this year - it's a nice feeling and I hope there will be surprises.
I just have a gut feeling that Square will announce a big, maybe stand-alone-ish expansion for FFXV. Something like "Episode Ardyn". They must have TONS of unused assets from that game. I just hope they do it sensibly. Don't want any XIII-2 nonsense (not criticising the game, just the story/logic)

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.