Forums

Topic: What PS3 game(s) are you currently playing?

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 1,698

Jaz007

@RogerRoger Yes, my two year absence started right after I beat Mass Effect 2, so I’m excited to finally finish the story.

Jaz007

RogerRoger

@Jaz007 Excellent; not because of your absence from gaming, but because you're playing it with the Extended Cut content integrated and the controversy of the original ending far, far behind you. When I played it for the first time, long after the dust had settled from all that, I thought it was absolutely incredible. I hope you do, too. Enjoy!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

i'm currently playing FINAL FANTASY XIII on my PS3, that game gets far too much hate for being "linear" when all the others were too, they just gave the ILLUSION of being open, take FFVII in Midgar you have to follow a set path then as soon as you leave you HAVE to go to Kalm, the you HAVE to go to the Chocobo ranch, the you have to go to Junon, the you HAVE to go to the Costa del Sol etc, etc it's not until right at the end you even get to explore and they all do that FF1 though 10, 12, and even 15 although that one does the opposite by giving you the open world first then going linear to focus the story

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

AdamantiumClaws

About to boot up Folklore. Bought it a long time ago but never played it.

Even the rocks do not recall.

Th3solution

@AdamantiumClaws Ah, Folkore ... a good game that I never finished. Let us know how you like it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

AdamantiumClaws

Th3solution wrote:

@AdamantiumClaws Ah, Folkore ... a good game that I never finished. Let us know how you like it.

Movement feels clunky, also not a fan of lack of voice-acted cutscenes, and the fixed camera at most points. But the concept for the story and the art direction are breath-taking. We shall see if I finish the game. Feels like it could use a director's cut, or be made into a movie. It would be a fantastic movie.

Edited on by AdamantiumClaws

RogerRoger

I'm all over the place at the moment, so just spent a good few hours playing chunks of PS3 Bond games, specifically the Severnaya chapter of GoldenEye 007 Reloaded, the Goldfinger missions from 007 Legends and then the Bangkok levels in Blood Stone 007.

It always amazes me how Eurocom managed to drop the ball so very, very far with 007 Legends, and I'm convinced it's because of schedule and budget pressures from Activision because their previous Bond games (the Nintendo64 version of The World is Not Enough, James Bond 007: NightFire and the aforementioned GoldenEye 007 Reloaded) were really quite excellent. Going from Reloaded (which is CoD in a tuxedo, but at least it's a smooth and playable CoD in a tuxedo) to Legends is jarring, and it's why I had to end with a little bit of Blood Stone before shutting down for the evening, just to redress the balance.

At least they've all got awesome music to listen to. I think perhaps only Sonic games are as reliable when it comes to always having brilliant musical scores.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD I did actually venture online, more with Legends than with Reloaded, back when they were relatively new and the servers were still full. Got a handful of multiplayer trophies for Legends, simply because it was the only place where I could play as Gustav Graves and run around shocking everybody with the Icarus gauntlet. When I went online in Reloaded, I was Hugo Drax (since I'd gotten a pre-order code for his Moonraker laser pistol) but I was nowhere near good enough to match wits with the other players.

I spent a heck of a lot of my youth playing the multiplayer component of NightFire solo, against AI bots of all my favourite Bond villains, and would love it if these games had a similar capability. It was refreshing to focus on combat after I'd played the scripted story sequences to the point where I had the entire game memorised. I'm not good enough to fight fellow humans!

Since I never owned a Nintendo64 and have therefore never owned the original GoldenEye 007 (played it at friends, but never properly played it), I didn't mind the update to Craig's likeness. The game's script was written by the same guy who wrote the film's script, so it feels "authentic" enough, and the changes were sympathetic to how Bond had evolved over the fifteen years; you can't really compare a mid-90s commentary on the end of the Cold War to a 2010 game about the banking crisis. I'll always prefer Brosnan's Bond, hands down, and if we didn't have Everything or Nothing as the quintessential Brosnan Bond game I'd probably feel differently, but the update makes Craig's more visceral Bond a good fit.

Not only that, but the rest of the updated characters are so incredibly bland when compared to their cinematic counterparts (again, a fitting change for modern spy thrillers, I guess) so it's nice to have a halfway-decent actor in the lead role. Judi Dench is also awesome, as always. I love that she did a majority of the Bond games from her tenure as M. Nobody does "exposition laced with disapproving snark" quite like her.

Making It So Since 1987

AdamantiumClaws

Guys I need some advice, and this may be a weird question to ask here. But I was looking for games to get for my Wii U as I recently got one, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut was one of them. I initially thought it was exclusively for Wii U until the other day when I realized it's for PS3 as well. So my question is, should I get it for PS3 or Wii U? I'm not really a big fan of the gamepad, and I know the graphics will be worse, but some people say that that the use of gamepad really makes things easier. I don't know what to think.

Kidfried

@AdamantiumClaws I heard the Wii U version is superior to the PS3 in every respect, the technical department as well.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

AdamantiumClaws

Kidfried wrote:

@AdamantiumClaws I heard the Wii U version is superior to the PS3 in every respect, the technical department as well.

Damn, really?? If that ain't a first for a Wii U game...

Jaz007

@AdamantiumClaws The Wii U is a bit more powerful than the 360/PS3, not a huge meant, but it is non-the less.

Jaz007

AdamantiumClaws

Jaz007 wrote:

@AdamantiumClaws The Wii U is a bit more powerful than the 360/PS3, not a huge meant, but it is non-the less.

Wait sorry, do you mean the console in general or the just this game?

Tasuki

Ok guys not sure how What PS3 game are you playing thread became a Wii U thread but let's continue this discussion in the Chit Chat thread.

Thanks for understanding.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RogerRoger

This morning I started Dragon Age: Origins on PS3.

I was kinda dreading it. I usually hate fantasy settings and had been warned about the clunky gameplay and distinctly brown colour palette, but it's actually managed to draw me in. Maybe because it's so different to what I usually play (last night's sessions on Star Wars: Battlefront II felt a little "going through the motions" by the end) or maybe it's because BioWare have written characters who deliberately avoid falling into the "verily, forsooth, from yonder mountain cometh darkness" fantasy cliché and actually speak like proper people. Alastair is an instant hit, a cheeky, witty chap who I actually wanna go on an adventure with (and then what do we immediately do? Go and meet Claudia Black and Kate Mulgrew. Could this get any better?!) and things are moving at a pretty quick pace thusfar.

Is the gameplay basic? Yes. Is the combat a little dull? Again, yes. Are the tactics menus a whole bunch of meaningless, overly-complicated nonsense? You bet. But I'm playing an old RPG so that's fine, and none of it seems essential or outstays its welcome before moving events along. The PS3 version runs far, far better than I expected it to (since my main comparison was Mass Effect, the first game of which is pretty appalling on Sony's last console) and the music is fantastic.

So, my foot is firmly in the door. That's the next week's gaming sorted, then!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger That’s interesting about your early experience with Dragon Age Origins. I am actually quite a fan of high fantasy and yet I didn’t really like DAO for the reasons you outlined above. The gameplay just seemed wonky and the combat so imprecise. I didn’t last long with it before quitting. As a result, I skipped over Dragon Age 2, but then came back to the franchise to play Dragon Age Inquisition. DAI was a pleasant surprise and I was very much enjoying it, but I got bogged down with the endless side activities and large world that I just never finished the game, despite pouring probably 50 hours into it. I still regret that I didn’t see it through to completion. I always told myself I’d go back, but I’m not sure I could at this point, it having been a few years passage.

Edit: I promise that I do actually finish many of the games I start. It seems like I’ve been going on about a lot of games I don’t complete lately. 😂

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Hey, we've all gotta just play what we wanna play, right?

It certainly feels like Dragon Age: Origins is pitching itself as "accessible fantasy RPG for the masses" with all the heavy, stat-checking tactical systems hidden away in menus you never really have to look at. Most of the game, for me, is wandering about towns and chatting to my squad, and laughing at their snarky replies. From that perspective, I can see how somebody who was itching for a "full and pure" fantasy experience would be disappointed; in parts, it feels almost to the overall genre what Uncharted is to Indiana Jones, a faster-paced, quippy, light piece of fluff that anybody can play (wonky, idiot-proof combat and all, although I say this as somebody with only a passing knowledge of other fantasy games like Skyrim and The Witcher).

I've played a huge chunk again today, experiencing a very brief romance and completing two large quests within the Redcliffe location. It's starting to get a teensy bit challenging at times now, too, so I'm going to tread lightly and maybe take a second look at what everybody's wearing and carrying. If I'm in that menu for more than ten minutes, though, I'll just press on regardless. Otherwise I'll hate it.

Making It So Since 1987

Strathnaver1

I still have a lot of love for my PS3 and still play it regularly, especially the Mass Effect Trilogy which I still think is awesome even after all these years - big fan of the Dragon Age games too (yup, even Dragon Age 2 despite its obvious shortcomings).

Despite its ageing graphics and general clunkiness, Dragon Age Origins still holds up pretty well today - I remember my first playthrough as a mage was pretty tough especially towards the end as I always felt underpowered, but I played it again last year as a warrior and I enjoyed it much more, even managed to complete all the DLC too.

If EA/Bioware ever remastered or remade these games I'd be all over them like a rash!

Strathnaver1

RogerRoger

@Strathnaver1 Funny you should mention the difficulty in Dragon Age: Origins, as yesterday I was halfway through a certain quest and after dying and restarting for the sixth time, I simply had to lower the difficulty level to Casual. I'm oddly pleased that there's such a huge difference between that and Normal, although now it feels a little too easy in places; not that I'm complaining, I'm here for the story and characters and little else (which are brilliant and most definitely holding up).

But yeah, I do feel it'd benefit from a remaster, same with Mass Effect.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic