Forums

Topic: The PSVR Recommendation Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 162

ralphdibny

@zupertramp @nessisonett I get all those symptoms minus the headache. I'd liken it more to a fever you'd get with the flu or an infection or something. Or just travel sickness which I get really bad on boats and in planes (im fine with cars and trains though for some reason šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø). My hangovers are just headaches and vom really. Absolutely awful at my age - hangover vom hurts way more when you are not a teenager so I avoid it all costs. But yeah I don't get that with VR thankfully but it's still rough. I actually normally get my hang over before I go to sleep weirdly. Maybe because on the rare occasions I do drink, I normally start around midday so I start getting a headache between 8pm and midnight.

You know Doom 3 actually supported 3D TVs in its BFG release on PS3? I wonder if that's why they decided to go VR with it. At least some of the stereoscopic processing must have been done for that prior release.

Definitely going to try out that swivel chair tip. I picked up a cheap (but good looking quality) one off eBay and I've got enough coccyx pillows on it now to make it comfortable. Might even give me enough waggle room to play something like iron man VR

See ya!

PSVR_lover

Yes, VR Worlds is a must buy, Oceans Decent is simply stunning.

ā€œYou know Doom 3 actually supported 3D TVs in its BFG release on PS3? ā€œ

I actually have this. I also have a Sony 3D HMD that works great with this game. Loved it in the day.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

zupertramp

@ralphdibny I'm still quite confused as to what a 3d tv even does but that's interesting to know. Seems like they were selling this recent release with talk of new textures and sound fx and things. And I think you fight Lil Nas X now instead of the Cyberdemon. j/k. In any case I do wonder how much work went into this for it being $20.

Good thing about the swivel chair method is you can slowly ween yourself off of it. Or sometimes I'll start something new in a chair just to get a feel for it and switch to standing when I feel I've acclimated myself.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simpleā€”not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

zupertramp

@Wavey84 ah I see. I was never real sure about PSVR Worlds. If it was worth the time anyway.

And Resident Evil 7 was definitely scary... at least, when it was scary. But when I was fighting jack for a second time, or more accurately, running in tiny circles to avoid him while also trying to somehow hit him AGAIN, I kinda lost interest. I did clear that part (I remember quitting at this place where these stupid bugs were flying at me) but on the whole I was just kind of over it all.

No denying that it was, at times, incredibly creepy. And it did look impressive. Just the menu portion where you're in the trailer is just too cool.

Say, anyone know if TWD Onslaught is any good? It's on sale so just wondering.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simpleā€”not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

ralphdibny

@zupertramp lol really? It's just 3D like in the cinema. It uses glasses to filter out one of 2 images displayed per eye. Because your eyes are seeing two different images, it gives you the perception of depth. Normally films use 3d to add depth that goes into the screen (like a window or diorama) rather than the silly effects that come out of the screen. It looks a bit stupid when something comes out of the screen and the top and bottom of it get cut off because it's larger than the frame (sometimes they mitigate this by using a thinner wide-screen ratio and the effect will escape the frame into the black bars at the top and bottom - though there is still a limit to it). Horror films do still use that screen popping effect but it was largely absent from all of the other 3D films that came out when it was popular.

I think the Lil Nas X boss fight is exclusive to the Xbox Series X version šŸ˜…. I don't have enough space for standing VR unfortunately! I normally use it from the bed but will definitely try the chair thing next time

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

zupertramp

@ralphdibny hmmm ... I guess I just mean I recall there being the occasional movie here and there (Coraline pops to mind) where 3d glasses would be provided for some sections of the movie that are in 3D. I even recall there being a couple television events from childhood where they'd sell the glasses in stores because some tv program was going to prompt you to wear them for certain bits.

So basically as far back as I remember, there have been TVs capable of 3D with the glasses so like, how is the specific 3DTV different than that?

ralphdibny

@zupertramp I think Coraline was 3D in its entirety actually. Not entirely sure though.

In (I believe) the 50s, they used 3D in films and I am pretty sure it was kind of that red/blue glasses 3D. It was mainly used in horror films and I believe that films like Dial M for Murder and Creature from the Black Lagoon were released theatrically in this format. Interest in it waned and it became less of a thing but I am guessing they occasionally rolled out the red/blue glasses as a gimmick for sporadic releases after that, normally for kids film. I think the last film I remember that used red/blue glasses was Spy Kids 3D: Game Over (the third film in the series). This film prompted the viewer, like you say, to put on the glasses for specific bits!

Then Avatar became a thing and it used the new type of 3D glasses that had these polarised lenses. I'm not positive on how these work but they look a bit like sunglasses and have no UV protection. I think the film projector (possibly 2 projectors?) would project two images on the screen (either two shots from slightly different angles or a digitally altered second shot) and each lens of the glasses would filter out one of the projected images. So you only see one image in each eye but they are subtly different and give the illusion of depth. Interestingly, Avatar wasn't the first film released with this technology in cinemas, I believe the first film that came out (that I saw at least) was My Bloody Valentine 3D. After this, almost every tentpole release was either filmed in 3D (two cameras like Transformers: Dark of the Moon and possibly The Amazing Spider-Man) or more likely was converted into 3D (digitally altered like every MCU movie from Thor onwards).

3D was then adapted for the consumer market, with two technologies - passive 3D which I think was what they use in the cinema and active 3d which is slightly different and used battery powered glasses. TVs with these technologies were prevalent for the better part of a decade but pretty much died out a few years ago when 4K became the next big thing. It basically meant that you could watch all of those 3D films in the cinemas on your TV at home if you had a 3D Blu Ray player like the PlayStation 3 and the 3D Blu Rays themselves which were more expensive than the standard blu ray release.

The TVs weren't around as much when Avatar came out on blu ray so it took a number of years before a home 3D release of that film was issued. A lot of other less pioneering films came out on 3D Blu Ray before Avatar got one itself. Interestingly, My Bloody Valentine 3D circumvented this problem by being altered to work with the red/blue 3D glasses which came with the DVD release though I believe it's been released again since with the more modern 3D technology implemented. Even more interestingly (to me at least!), film studios went back and took some of these old red/blue 3D movies from the 50s and converted them to the modern technology and released them on 3D Blu ray!

But yeah the new technology meant that you didn't have to watch 3D movies in red and blue any more. There are downsides to the new technology, like the image appearing darker than the 2D release. Usually this was because the glasses filtered out additional light so the film/digital projector bulbs would have to be turned up bright which shortened the lifespan of the bulb - something that cinemas weren't keen on because they had to shell out for new bulbs more frequently. There was another problem too, in chain cinemas mainly, where they don't have a projectionist supervising the screening. I guess they'd just hire kids to come in and flip a switch and walk out again. I've been to a number of screenings where the first 10-20 minutes or so have had an incorrectly calibrated image that would be blurry or just look like 2 images. Someone from the audience then has to go out and find an usher (some other kid) to go and sort it out. It really annoyed me when this happened, I only ever had one cinema offer to rewind the film for us.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

zupertramp

@Wavey84 totally agree about Tetris. It really got rave reviews for some reason but I don't see it. I just play it 2D. Nice soundtrack, decent visuals, and it's Tetris so not a complete bust.

zupertramp

@ralphdibny the difference being in the glasses makes a 3dtv purchase even more confusing.

Yeah I have Coraline and, checking the box, you're right about it being entirely in 3D. Don't think I've ever watched it that way so couldn't remember. I should try it. Been awhile since I've seen it anyway.

ralphdibny

@zupertramp I am curious about Coraline because I think it came out around the beginning of the 3D boom so I wonder whether the original blu ray shipped with the modern formatting or if there was a reissue.

But yeah it is confusing. Anecdotally, I've heard that "Active 3D" is better but it requires batteries and in my experience, the glasses aren't as comfortable as the cinema glasses. Also the active glasses are TV specific and in some cases brand specific. I can't speak for the home version of "passive 3D" but I would take either if I could find a 3dtv in decent condition for a reasonable price. They normally go for about Ā£100 secondhand over here which is a lot of money for something you can't test extensively before you buy. But yeah, can't buy any 3DTVs new any more because they dropped the technology. I think some of the really high end sets (>Ā£1000) may include it still but I am a long way off from buying one of those!

@Wavey84 watching 3D movies on PSVR isn't awful. Still not as good as an actual TV but it's better than nothing to be honest. Most movies, especially converted-in-post movies, don't go mental with the 3D anyway so I'd struggle to see the difference in depth. The resolution does seem like it takes a bit of a hit though. I think a standard 3DTV drops the resolution of each displayed image from 1080p down to something like 720 anyway. Not sure how the PSVR splits it's resolution for display - I assume it uses the side by side style of 3d that works with the goggle type glasses anyway rather than the overlapping images of a 3DTV

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

zupertramp

@ralphdibny i think it'd help if maybe I wore glasses already but I just can't sit there with something on my face for 2 hours. so that's probably why I've never had much interest in the tech. Even with VR, which is admittedly way worse than a pair of glasses (but with a greater payoff) I'm only able to put up with it for an hour tops. Usually far less.

So I'm pretty excited to see how much, if any, they were able to lower the profile of the new headset. That's probably my biggest priority.

ralphdibny

@zupertramp haha I wear glasses and I have to double up for 3D! 3d specs over my normal specs! šŸ¤“

I've got new glasses with much bigger frames since the last time I used the 3d TV at home though (family TV so doesn't get a lot of use in 3D). I doubt those extra slim active specs will fit over my new glasses! The extra large style used at the cinema is totally fine though

See ya!

LieutenantFatman

Finished Moss, cool little game, took about 5 hours or so. I wonder if they'll make another one for next gen PSVR. Nice to have a short and sweet game for it, it did leave me wanting more at the end.

LieutenantFatman

PSVR_lover

@zupertramp ā€œFarpoint got me the closest to that feeling. Probably because it was the first full-movement title I played. Weak legs, splitting headache, floaty light-headedness, nausea... and I'm too old for hangovers so it's no fun. Luckily it wears off quickly for me. Not so much for others.ā€

I love this game. My favorite FPS on PSVR. I never had a problem with it,.

PSVR_lover

PSVR_lover wrote:

@zupertramp ā€œFarpoint got me the closest to that feeling. Probably because it was the first full-movement title I played. Weak legs, splitting headache, floaty light-headedness, nausea... and I'm too old for hangovers so it's no fun. Luckily it wears off quickly for me. Not so much for others.ā€

I love this game. My favorite FPS on PSVR. I never had a problem with it,.

Same here, a great game, I also have never had a problem with it.

ralphdibny

Anyone bought any games in the big VR sale??

I just picked up Accounting+, Floorplan and a ghostbusters bundle in the sale. I also just bought a physical copy of Trover Saves the Universe because it was available on Amazon.

Not sure what else there is for me in that sale, I've got tons of VR games downloaded/on disc already

See ya!

ralphdibny

Vader Immortal now has a physical retail release over here in the UK. This sort of thing makes me want to stop buying digital games altogether or just skip generations like I used to do. I can't sell my digital copy so I will inevitably end up double dipping. Doesn't seem fair really

See ya!

PSVR_lover

ralphdibny wrote:

Vader Immortal now has a physical retail release over here in the UK. This sort of thing makes me want to stop buying digital games altogether or just skip generations like I used to do. I can't sell my digital copy so I will inevitably end up double dipping. Doesn't seem fair really

I only buy digital releases of games Iā€™m 100% certain are not coming out as a physical release. I bought Focus on You digital, Iā€™d be pissed if a physical release came out now.

ralphdibny

@PSVR_lover same normally, unless I just don't care about getting it physical or there is a significant price disparity.

Just never know these days with games getting physical releases years after its digital release

See ya!

PSVR_lover

I bought Focus on You digitally and I just love that game, Iā€™ve played it so many times, great game to use the move controllers with.
Sometimes you have to buy digitally.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic