Nightdive Studios has officially confirmed System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition for PS5, having previously only teased the title would come to "next-generation consoles". Along with the news, we got a fresh gameplay trailer to glom onto, making the waiting that much harder.
Not to be confused with the System Shock remake, which Nightdive released this year on PC and is still supposed to come to PS5 and PS4 in 2023, System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition is a remaster of the 1999 classic, regarded by some as one of the greatest games of all time. Rebuilt for modern platforms using Nightdive's proprietary KEX Engine, the aim here is to provide the definitive iteration of the classic game.
A list of key features, as listed by Nightdive, are as follows:
- Unknowable Horrors, In High Definition – Completely remastered visuals, extending to cutscenes and character and weapons models, with up to 4K resolution at 120 frames per second support on Windows PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S.
- Might As Well Make Your Death Comfortable – The game includes settings for an adjustable field-of-view, post-processing effects, and widescreen support.
- Misery Loves Company – Drag your friends into the hell that is the Von Braun starship in cooperative multiplayer.
- Interface This – Play from the comfort of your couch with gamepad support, then celebrate with an ice-cold medical stim when you unlock new Trophies and Achievements.
- If You Want Something Done Right – Full mod support on PC and the ability to implement community-made missions at launch.