Dead Cells released for PS4 back in 2018, and it's just received what is arguably its most significant update yet. The rogue-lite action title's awaited accessibility patch — nicknamed 'Breaking Barriers' — is out now, bringing a wealth of options that make the game much more approachable. It also includes difficulty sliders, as well as balance adjustments.
If you're unfamiliar with the game, Dead Cells can be a challenging experience — a 'tough but fair' 2D adventure that demands quick reactions and skilful play. With this update, developer Motion Twin wants to make sure that everyone can have a go at Dead Cells and enjoy it.
Oh, and it's worth mentioning that Dead Cells is currently available through PS Plus Extra, meaning that subscribers can download and play the game — complete with this new update — at no extra cost. You can find a full list of All PS Plus Games in our comprehensive guide.
Dead Cells Accessibility Update Patch Notes
Added a new Assist Mode to the options menu:
- Continue mode – each time you die you can resurrect from the beginning of the biome. (this effectively already existed by quitting the game when you die, now it's just 'official')
- Auto-hit mode – automatically target nearby enemies with your primary melee weapon.
- Adjustable trap damage, enemy damage and enemy health in % increments.
- Option for slower parry window and trap speed
New Gameplay Options:
- Hold to jump.
- Hold to roll.
- Shield toggle option, instead of long press.
New Input Options:
- Customisable Long Interact input.
- Customisable Dive Attack input.
- Customisable functions for the Left Stick, Right Stick and D-Pad.
New Video Options:
- Customisable HUD transparency and size.
- New font option : Arial.
- Customisable Brutality / Tactic / Survival colors.
- Display stats icons in addition to their color.
- Display critical strike feedback on the HUD.
- Display effect icons in item descriptions. If two effects synergize with each other, the icons glow.
- Outlines for the Beheaded, Enemies, Skills, Projectiles and Secrets.
- Disable blood.
- Reduce the number of particles.
New Sound Options:
- Customize categories of sound effects individually (active, enemies, environment, etc.)
- Added a customizable sound priority system, to limit the number of sounds at once.
- Barnacle: new crit condition on bleeding or poisoned targets to make it less awkward (and bad).
- Tentacle: lots of bug fixes. It should be way more reliable now.
- Crowbar: new crit condition on stunned enemies to make it less awkward too.
- Magnetic Grenade: full rework, it doesn't send enemies flying around (often in your head) but instead pulls them towards the explosion.
- Biters pets: now way more resistant to attacks and effects that don't specifically target them.
- Corrupted Power: now in % instead of a flat bonus. No other difference functionally speaking.
- Wings of the Crow: lots of bug fixes.
- Decoy: can be manually detonated after a few moments (it's not a grenade, but you don't have to awkwardly wait for it to explode if you don't want to)
- The cost of most of the beginner items has been drastically cut, to make the early game less tedious for new players and to make new items a viable unlock option while trying to get your flask, gold and other useful upgrades.
- Reverted the changes on Crowbar.
- Barnacle no longer crits on bleeding enemies,
- Machete & pistol: The third hit now ignores side shields.
- HOTK should now have an easier time hitting the player when they're airborne.
Graphics & UI
- Added an option to change the text size of Item Names, Item Item Descriptions and Dialogues.
- Added an option to increase the size of the Attack Announces.
- Added a new font to choose from: "Adys".
- Added an an option to add a colored filter between the background and foreground. The color and opacity of the filter can be freely customized.
- Reorganized the entirety of the Options menu and added a new "Accessibility" section.
- Texts in the Stat Selection Menu no longer use "Red", "Purple" and "Green", but "Brutality", "Tactic" and "Survival".
- The Crown and The Lighthouse now have different doors that lead to their biomes.
Quality of Life
- Reworked all the player animations to correctly display the head behind the body, when needed.
- Added a new Update Pop-up that displays all the information about our latest update, when you launch the game for the first time.
- Thunder Shield is no longer considered to be a ranged weapon.
- Fixed Face Flask's "Volley of Arrows" affix not dealing any damage.
- Fixed a bug where scrolling in the options felt "bumpy".
- Fixed Golden Bat Kamikaze appearing in the ground in the Training Room.
- Fixed some softlocks with Pollo Power.
- Fixed some overlap visual bugs on the World Map.
Will you be going back to Dead Cells with this update? Or perhaps you'll be playing for the first time? Time your parries in the comments section below.
[source dead-cells.com, via nintendolife.com]
This is all fantastic. I do think it should have been available from day one though. Or at least stop trophies being obtained when used. It messes up the completion percentages something terrible! (I know this is a niche concern, but hopefully something that won’t be a concern in future now they are learning these things and can implement them from day one).
The best PS4 roguelike just keeps getting better. If only they’d do a native PS5 patch.
Crazy how much support this game still gets, if I bought the game again I'd have so much content to play, especially with all the DLC that's been made!
Do these new difficulty and accessibility options affect the Trophies in any way? Can you still unlock them if making use of them?
The game is still brutal and never really enjoyed it, these accessibility options are too little too late I will never play this game again, no thanks lol
@helbertpina Absolutely no mention of this new stuff impacting Trophies, so I would assume nothing's changed.
@helbertpina and there is one guy who wants trophies to be disabled, that has NEVER happned with any game that has these options, these settings are there for a reason to make the game easier, not punish the player who wants to make the game more enjoyable for themselves
I have a love/hate relationship with rogue games. I hate when death is part of the progression of the game/character and the grind that comes with it so I hate most rogue games BUT Returnal and Deathloop are my two favorite games of 2021 so it really depends. I’ll give the game another chance this summer.
I love hard games so its all good. I enjoy this game a lot.word up son
@thefourfoldroot1 why should this stop trophies being earned? First people said this at hades, then sifu now this.
@The_Pixel_King Honestly it's a pixel art game that runs at a locked 60fps on PS5 and load times are fast. What good would a native PS5 version really bring? Am I missing something.
This makes me keen to return. I did a few runs beating the final boss but got bored of repeating the same levels over and over again, especially if I died. Great additions.
For the same reason there are often trophies for completing harder difficulty settings I guess. It’s not that I’m too bothered. I tried but don’t like this game (nor most rogue-likes). Just that I read their reasons for turning off leaderboards when using these accessibility options, but not turning off the trophies, and it didn’t make sense to me. Except the trophy system is, unfortunately, not respected so much as leaderboards, which add nothing except bragging rights to a game.
@themightyant Oh you’re absolutely right, brother. I just like seeing the little white PS5 logo next to the game icons on my homescreen. Lol. Other than that, maybe 120fps or even faster loading?
All this is great stuff. Easily one of my favourite games and the support has been incredible.
@huyi - Furi introduced an invincibility mode so people who found the game too difficult could complete the story. That disables trophies.
This is amazing for me. I’ve been a gamer since the early 80’s and since then I’ve had some injuries that affect how long I can play games that are more physically demanding.
Years ago I bought Dead Cells and absolutely loved it, but after an hour my wrists were hurting badly. They hurt for days afterward and I sadly deleted the game at that point. Today I was able to download it again. I’m so thankful that I can now play this masterpiece.
Tap here to load 17 comments
Leave A Comment
Hold on there, you need to login to post a comment...