Could this be the start of a run for PlayStation 5 exclusive Returnal? Despite it only being the end of October, the Develop:Star awards were hosted in Brighton last night, with Housemarque’s roguelike taking home a total of two gongs: Best Visual Art and that all-important Game of the Year. It was a big night for Sony, with Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales also grabbing Best Audio.
Obviously the timing of these awards mean that nominees spanned both 2020 and 2021 releases, but the winners are decided by a “closed industry vote”, so this is still a huge achievement for the Finnish firm. Sumo Digital, the team behind Sackboy: A Big Adventure among numerous others, won the award for Best Studio.
We’ve listed all of the victors below:
- Best Visual Art: Returnal
- Best Narrative: Röki
- Best Game Design: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
- Best Audio: Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Best Innovation: Lost Words: Beyond the Page
- Best QA & Localisation Provider: Keywords Studios
- Recruitment Star: Amiqus Recruitment
- Best Creative Provider: Atomhawk
- Best Original IP (Sponsored by Hiro Capital): Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
- Diversity Star (Sponsored by PTW): Anisa Sanusi
- Tomorrow's Star (Sponsored by Amiqus): Reema Ishaque
- Best Technology Provider: Unreal Engine
- Publishing Star: No More Robots
- Best Mobile Game: Little Orpheus
- Game of the Year: Returnal
- Best Micro Studio (Sponsored by Talenthouse): Polygon Treehouse
- Best Studio (Sponsored by Epic Games): Sumo Digital
- The Develop Star Award: Debbie Bestwick - Team17
Do you think Returnal will win many more Game of the Year awards? Where does it rank among your personal favourites right now? Suspend the cycle in the comments section below.