How do you use headphones and earbuds with the PS5 and PS4 controller? If you’re a late night gamer but don’t have access to a nifty headset, there’s a way to output all PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 audio through traditional headphones and earbuds using the DualSense and DualShock 4. All you need is a pair of earphones with a 3.5mm jack, and you’re pretty much good to go. As part of our PS5 guide, we're going to explain how to use headphones with PS5 and PS4 controller.
How to Use Headphones and Earbuds with PS5 and PS4 Controller
To use headphones and earbuds with the PS5 and PS4 controller, simply follow the steps below:
Attach the Headphones or Earbuds
Connect any pair of headphones with a 3.5mm adapter into the slot on the bottom of the DualSense and DualShock 4 controller, located between the underside of the analogue sticks.
Setup Audio Output
If you don't hear any sound immediately, then take the following actions:
- Press the PlayStation button once to bring up the Control Centre.
- Select Sound > Output Device > Headset (Controller).
- This should output all audio through your headphones or earbuds. However, you may want to play a game to ensure it worked correctly.
- Hold the PlayStation button until the Quick Menu appears.
- Select Sound/Devices > Output to Headphones > All Audio.
- This should output all audio through your headphones or earbuds. However you may want to test it by playing a game.
Adjust the Volume
To adjust the volume of your headphones and earbuds, navigate to the same menu on either the PS5 or PS4 by following the steps above. You'll see an option for Volume, allowing you to turn the sound up and down as required.
Do you use headphones and earbuds with the PS5 or PS4 controller? Turn up the sound in the comments section below, and check out our PS5 guide for more information.