How do you use headphones and earbuds with the PS5 and PS4 controller? If you play games at night but don’t have access to a fancy headset, there’s a way to output all PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 audio through traditional headphones and earbuds using the DualSense and DualShock 4. All you need is a pair of earphones with a 3.5mm jack, and you’re pretty much good to go. As part of our PS5 guide, we're going to explain how to use headphones with your PS5 and PS4 controllers.
How to Use Headphones and Earbuds with PS5 and PS4 Controller
To use headphones and earbuds with the PS5 and PS4 controller, simply follow the below steps:
Attach the Headphones or Earbuds
Connect any pair of headphones with a 3.5mm adapter into the slot on the bottom of the DualSense or DualShock 4 controller, located between the underside of the analogue sticks.
Setup Audio Output
If you don't hear any sound immediately, then take the following actions:
- Press the PlayStation button once to bring up the Control Centre.
- Select Sound > Output Device > Headset (Controller).
- This should output all audio through your headphones or earbuds. In order to check it's all working correctly, fire up a game and listen for sound coming through your headphones or earbuds.
- Hold the PlayStation button until the Quick Menu appears.
- Select Sound/Devices > Output to Headphones > All Audio.
- This should output all audio through your headphones or earbuds. However, you may want to test it by playing a game.
Adjust the Volume
To adjust the volume of your headphones and earbuds, navigate to the same menu on either the PS5 or PS4 by following the steps above. You'll see an option for Volume, allowing you to turn the sound up and down as required.
Do you use headphones and earbuds with the PS5 or PS4 controller? Turn up the sound in the comments section below, and check out our PS5 guide for more information.