Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 7,441 to 7,460 of 7,479

RR529

Finished Super Mario RPG over the weekend. Definitely still a solid game, and it's been updated nicely, but even as someone who has nostalgia for it, I'd say it's age is starting to show.

The humor definitely holds up & has a few LOL moments, but all the other elements that seemed innovative/revelatory back in the day are either standard fare for JRPGs today (no random battles, a linear structure with no overworld similar to something like FFX, more active player input in battles) or are actively kind of clunky (the platforming elements). Still a solid game, but probably a 7 or 8 at most if you have no previous attachment to it.

Also don't get the hype for Geno. Has a cool background I suppose, but after he's introduced he just sits quietly in the background for the next 95% of the game. Most of the humor either comes from the Mario/Bowser/Peach trio or stand out side characters like Booster, Johnny, & the like. Even Mallow seems more involved, with how he's integrated into the opening hours of the game, and an arc heavily revolving around him near the end of the game. I'd almost go as far as to say Geno is probably about the most boring OG character in the game.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

Super Mario Wonder’s really quite brilliant isn’t it? Reminds me of Rayman Legends a lot in that every level is innovative in its own way. Better than basically any straight 2D platformer I’ve played in years.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

Yeesh, the Batman Arkham Trilogy on Switch is not looking good.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@Bentleyma If there was an award for worst port of the year, that will be right up there in the running. Mortal Kombat 1 might have something to say about that though. And there have been a few dodgy releases on PC this year, but the names escapes me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LtSarge

My copy of Super Mario Bros. Wonder arrived today and I've been playing it for a while now. It's a really fun game! It's been a long time since I played a 2D Mario game and this one feels really refreshing. Very much looking forward to playing more of it.

LtSarge

LtSarge

Playing Super Mario Bros. Wonder has made me realise how much Nintendo has changed. Not only is this the most creative 2D platformer they've put out, you can tell how much care and thought went into every level. Not to mention the level structure. After completing the first world, you arrive to the beach/underwater world but you only need to play a few levels before moving on to the next world. The fact that you don't need to go through the same themed levels a lot of times before moving on to the next world shows how flexible the devs were in designing the level structure. On top of this, there are so many shorter levels in between the longer ones that are a nice change of pace.

Also, can I just say how nice it is to play a 2D Mario game without a time limit? It's such a great feeling that I can just take my time with the levels. Moreover, I absolutely adore that each level is graded in terms of difficulty and that there are numerous challenging levels even early on. I remember back in the day when people would make fun of Nintendo for constantly making easy games. Now it feels like Nintendo has finally learned to treat the player with respect. Thanks to the level of freedom, you can choose to challenge yourself or keep the challenge to a bare minimum. It's simply amazing, I love it.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

LtSarge

So I've been playing Paper Mario on Switch Online and I beat chapter 2 yesterday, which is the point in the game I never got past back when I played it as a kid. It's understandable though, the desert area has so many screens so it's easy to get lost there. But I was really happy when I finished it, which means everything henceforth will be completely new for me. Very excited to keep playing, it's such a good game.

Speaking of Switch Online, it's pretty cool that the first two Golden Sun games are releasing on the service. Granted, I bought them on the Wii U eShop before it shut down so it's not like I don't have the games. But after Paper Mario, I think I prefer to play everything on the Switch instead.

Switch Online actually has a fair amount of compelling games I haven't played yet. Earthbound, Yoshi's Island, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap and of course the Golden Sun titles. Might have to utilise it more in the future, as I've barely played anything on the service except for multiplayer games like Mario Party.

LtSarge

CJD87

@LtSarge I actually think Switch Online is pretty good value at the highest level… you get access to pretty much the majority of catalogues for the legacy franchises: Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Starfox etc + other classics like Goldeneye / Earthbound and the like.

NSO is still the cheapest (legal) way to play these games, and the online play options are pretty decent too.

CJD87

Kidfried

@LtSarge Ah, the desert is indeed the most tenuous part of the first Paper Mario title. After that it's relatively smooth sailing. Even though it never gets as compelling as Paper Mario 2. Really looking forward to that remaster!

Kidfried

LtSarge

@CJD87 Yeah it's great value and good for those who are new to Nintendo. I've already played most of the games though, which is why I haven't used the service that much except for playing multiplayer games online, which is easily the best aspect of this service. Before the Switch, I had never played a Mario Party game before because I didn't have people near me to play these games with. So being able to play them online is super useful for me.

@Kidfried I'm relieved to hear that! Looking forward to playing more of the game soon.

I really hope the remaster of TTYD sells well so that Nintendo realises that people actually want Paper Mario to return to its RPG roots. I'm definitely buying it on day one to support it, but also because I have never played it before and a second-hand copy on GameCube costs way too much.

LtSarge

Ralizah

I think my ideal Paper Mario game would have the level design and music of The Origami King and the dialogue and RPG trappings of TTYD.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Ralizah I think my ideal Paper Mario game would be Super Mario RPG.

Kidfried

RR529

Been playing Another Code: Recollection & just finished the first game.

Controls are kinda tanky & unrefined, but with all the backtracking through a mansion completing puzzles & solving a murder mystery or two, it kinda felt like a PG Fatal Frame (minus the ghost exorcising, adding some VN bits), so I enjoyed it.

On to the second part.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Bundersvessel

As always I am at the bleeding edge of popular culture and I'm partying like it is 2017. Just picked up a Switch OLED over the weekend and taking my first steps in Hyrule with Breath of the Wild, and it is a bit good. I've cleared the first four shrines and received the glider and now i'm exploring the rest of the plateau.

Going to take me a while to build a good library but I have Portal Collection, Quake and Night in the Woods already. Would love some recommendations of must play titles pretty please.

And some pals, feel free to add me 👍

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

LtSarge

@AgentCooper Breath of the Wild is a good first game to play on the Switch. Great choice!

My recommendation is to check out the first-party titles. If you're looking for a 3D platformer, Super Mario Odyssey is the obvious choice. On the other hand, if you want to play a 2D platformer, then Super Mario Bros. Wonder is excellent. Either way, both games are filled to the brim with creativity.

Can't go wrong either with Metroidvanias and in this case, there are two fantastic Metroid games on the Switch: Metroid Dread and Metroid Prime. The former is 2D while the latter is first-person.

If you're looking for JRPGs, then there's the most popular one: Pokémon. If you want a casual experience, there's Pokémon Let's Go. But if you instead want a more ambitious open-world experience, then there's Pokémon Scarlet/Violet. I can also mention the Xenoblade Chronicles games, which are more like series like Final Fantasy as there's a stronger emphasis on story, party members and so on.

As for multiplayer titles, you can't go wrong with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

LtSarge

KilloWertz

@AgentCooper You would need to give out your Friend Code in order for people to add you on the Switch. You should find it in your profile.

I would add you, but I boxed up my Switch months ago and don't use it anymore. I already have more than enough to play on my PS5, so in the end I probably should have passed on getting one even though there are some great games on it.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Bundersvessel

@LtSarge Thanks friend I appreciate the lengthy response. My eldest kid has almost all the Mario titles for Switch so looking forward to dipping in there when the feeling takes me. I loved Metroid Prime on GC so definitely will be picking those entries up. I’ve added your other suggestions to my rather large to buy list.

Where do sit on physical vs digital when it comes to Switch? I’m tempted to go all in with the latter due to the convenience and portability of the console but worry I’ll get stung. 🤔

@KilloWertz That’s a shame, although I can definitely empathise with you as I definitely have more than i can handle now 😂 I’m not in any particular rush as my kids are still very young and there will be plenty of time to get through this mammoth library I’m amassing in due course.

I added my switch code to my profile though it doesn’t seem to show at the bottom on Push Square?

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

Ralizah

@AgentCooper So many games I could recommend. I'm gonna comb through my library.

Any genres you're not a fan of? And what about recommendations of games you could get on other systems? Like, I pick up games on Switch that I could play on PS4 because I prefer the portability. Especially on SWOLED with its longer battery life and gorgeous screen.

In terms of physical vs digital... either way is good on Switch.

The good with physical is that games tend to retain their resale value. Especially first-party games, since Nintendo only drops prices in sales, and rarely past 50% off. Also, unlike the other platforms, Switch games don't need to install on the hard drive, so physical can be a good way of saving space.

With digital, you get a lot of good eshop deals, more golden coins for digital purchases (essentially, you get 5% back on on all purchased digital content that can be put toward other digital purchases), and eshop vouchers are going to be a more cost-effective method of purchasing first-party games that are new or don't go on sale very often.

You should buy a case, screen protector, and, at some point, if you're not a fan of the ergonomics of playing in handheld mode, a grip to attach to it when playing undocked.

If you're going to play much on the TV, you'll want a Pro Controller at some point.

And regardless, when there's a sale of memory online (happens fairly often on Amazon), buy the biggest MicroSD card you can stomach. You'll want the space if you're going to be buying digital games.

I'll go ahead and add you when I have my Switch in hand.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

LtSarge

@AgentCooper Physical for single-player games, digital for multiplayer games as I just can't be bothered constantly switching carts whenever I play with my friends as I always have something else that I'm playing in the game slot.

And just like @Ralizah mentioned, Switch games retain their resale value rather well. I've had my copy of Super Mario Odyssey since 2018. I could probably get €30-40 from it if I sold it now, which is pretty good for a popular game that's been out 5+ years. But it's also very convenient to have digital games on a portable system so you don't have to carry around all your games. Which is why it makes sense for me buy multiplayer titles digitally as you tend to go back to them often. It doesn't really make sense to carry around single-player games that you've finished.

LtSarge

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic