Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 841 to 860 of 4,400

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki i heard he's going to be there but i don't think they confirmed he is going to be Supes yet, unless i missed that announcement

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Tasuki

@FullbringIchigo From what I have heard the winters of the Arrowverse shows want to tie in every piece of DC material from comics to animated shows to movies with next seasons cross over pretty much each piece of material is another earth. Among Tom Wellington's cameo there is also rumors of them talking to Jason Mamosa to make some sort of cameo as Aquaman, Burt Ward as Robin and Terri Hatcher as Lois Lane. Not sure how much of that is true but it would be kinda of cool.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki that would be cool although i think it might be a bit to ambitious

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Glad you enjoyed, it really it one of the best tv shows in recent times.

Season 2 will be a whole new story though with a new family, called The Haunting of Bly Manor. Just by same creator, director and writer from the first, Mike Flanagan. So it is in good hands I actually really interested too see how what they will do in season 2.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Exactly my friend!

What did you make of the ending BTW? I was a liitle disappointed by how neat and tidy everything seemed to tie up.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy Gonna reply to you here, so as not to derail the screenshot topic.

The Clone Wars is pretty great; I'd highly recommend it to any Star Wars fan. The first season is a little kid-friendly, and that might be why a lot of people never gave it a chance, with plenty of action and scene-setting without much character. From the second season onwards, though, things really start to pick up, as does the quality of the animation (LucasFilm did it all themselves, from scratch, and so were all kinda self-taught; that explosion clip is from Season Five but there's equal beauty in a lot of their work from Season Three and beyond). It introduces new characters alongside the prequel cast, some of whom have exceeded expectations and become more popular than many folks from the films, whilst expanding backstory and motivations for Anakin, the Jedi Council and Palpatine.

It was halfway through production on Season Six, and had just won a couple Emmys, when Disney purchased LucasFilm and immediately cancelled the show because it was "far too dark, violent and mature" for them to broadcast on DisneyXD. Mercifully, after years of fan campaigns and backlash, they're finishing the last twelve episodes and releasing them on Disney's new streaming service in November (early next year for us Brits) to give it a proper conclusion.

Disney replaced it with Star Wars: Rebels which I avoided for years, hating what had happened to The Clone Wars and thinking it inferior... and true, it feels much more "DisneyXD" at times, again particularly in the beginning, but it's a really rewarding slice of Star Wars if you can stick with it.

Both shows were run by Dave Filoni, a name I hope to hear associated with Star Wars for many, many years to come. The chap knows what makes good Star Wars.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD That sounds horrifying already! I don't think we see it until next Autumn, hopefully around Halloween.

Started watching season 2 of Mindhunter on Netflix. It continues directly after the events of season 1. Episode 1 is based mostly at the bureau, but episode 2 is when they start investigating again. I find it fascinating hearing about the mentality behind being a serial killer. It can be quite uncomfortable viewing as they go into quite a bit of detail on some of the methods they use.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@JohnnyShoulder I was quite indifferent to S1 of the programme as it felt like it didn't really know what it wanted to be; was it a buddy cop shop? case of the week? pseudo-factual drama of setting up the team?

It just felt a bit disjointed to me but I seem to be in the minority of not loving it.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho I found it a bit slow to start off with, but once they started to interview the serial killers (or sequence killers as the term 'serial killers was not coined yet) I was hooked.

Thrillho

@JohnnyShoulder Have you watched the Ted Bundy Tapes on Netflix? He was only seen in passing in S1 of Mindhunters but it was interesting towards the end of that mini-series to see one of the guys Mindhunter is based on talking about meeting him and his work at the time.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho No but I saw the film about Ted Bundy from the same director starring Zak Effron. It was weird feeling a bit sympathetic towards a serial killer.

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger @themcnoisy
I started the second series of The Tick on Amazon, actual character called Edgelord

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON Cheers, I'll add it my list along with Preacher and The Boys. There is not a lot that floats my boat on Prime, hopefully by the time I start using it again I'll have a few things to watch.

KALofKRYPTON

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah. Glad I have it free.

The Boys is great, different from the comics, but adapted well. Other than Urban's accent 😂

I quite liked the John Krazinski Jack Ryan thing too. Pretty right and well paced.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON If he isn't wearing red and black, he's a faker.

Interesting that you praise Jack Ryan, by the way. My partner and I watched the first episode (or maybe even two episodes) after hearing positive buzz and were kinda bored. Personally I feel that Tom Clancy's material works in long books and short films, so this'll be the point where you say "but the third episode is where it got amazing" and I'll drag myself back to it someday.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger ha.

Jack Ryan doesn't dramatically change by episode three. 😂
In fact, one of things I liked and made me think of Clancy's writing, was that while the stakes are inevitably raised as the plot moves forward, the pacing remains relatively consistent and the show doesn't inject dramatic contrivances at every convenient juncture (here's looking at you, 24!).

Krazinski is largely believable in the role too which is a help.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Oh, I had no problem with the acting; I thought that the cast were solid, and they effectively tapped into the everyman DNA of the Jack Ryan character.

Maybe it's just how I read Tom Clancy books (or rather, what goes on in my head whilst I'm reading Tom Clancy books). If the show continues, and if my backlog of things to watch dries up, I'll give it another shot... perhaps whilst watching alone, as my partner isn't the biggest fan of espionage, action or drama to begin with anyway.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger It's worth a go.

It was also quite refreshing to have a significant amount of time devoted to the villain as opposed to just another 'darkie with a gun' scenario.
You never quite sympathise, but there's also a distinct lack of one-sided moralising. Again, I think rather inkeeping with the source; We're presented with characters, situations and reactions - with the moral weight of each side represented well.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic