Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 4,321 to 4,340 of 4,381

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets Not sure if you are aware or if it matters to you but Amazon will start to introduce adverts for all Prime video content from next month.

Personally it is a big turn off for me. I had started to watch stuff on there again, but held off when I heard the news. If it turns out not to be too bad, I maybe go back, but I doubt I'll pay anything extra to get rid of ads.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Tjuz

@JohnnyShoulder It's a shame. Amazon Prime actually has a bunch of good content, so it sucks if people miss out on it because they've decided to change their model after a good decade. I've been particularly fond of recent shows they put out like The Devil's Hour and Prisma. Eagerly awaiting their second seasons, so I hope those ads won't make their viewing experience significantly worse!

I've been so behind on TV I've been meaning to watch in general with moving and then starting my new job. I've had full seasons of shows like Fargo, For All Mankind and The Curse completely pass me by. Anyone been watching those and got a recommendation on which I should get to first?

Tjuz

LN78

@Tjuz The first season of "For All Mankind" was very entertaining - an alternate history of the space race that seemed to be evolving into a kind of proto "Star Trek" as it approached the end of the run. The first two seasons (the first of which has the most direct narrative lineage to the movie) of "Fargo" were excellent, too (a few wobbly performances aside). I've heard it started running out of steam in the third year (the one with Ewan McGregor) but apparently the current run (Season 5?) has got it back on the rails.

LN78

Tjuz

@LN78 Have you watched further than the first season of For All Mankind yet? I think the following two seasons are so inconsistent compared to the first, but the concept interests me so much I can't help but keep watching and stay entertained. I hope this new season is a bit of a return to form though. I've mostly heard good things!

With Fargo I'm actually one of seemingly few people who prefer the third season over the second, but you're right. So far at least the first season has been unbeatable, as is too often with these types of anthologies.

If I may, I would suggest to take a look at C'est comme ça que je t'aime (or possibly called Happily Married in whatever region you're in) if you're looking for more of the Fargo-style storytelling. It's a show from Quebec so it's in their specific dialect of French, but it's one of my favourite ongoing shows. So incredibly well-written with a really fun, dry ensemble. The Get Shorty TV show is another one to give a look that's in a similar vein. Equally incredible, though particularly the second season. It's a shame it was on a network as irrelevant as Epix and died a silent death.

Edited on by Tjuz

Tjuz

LN78

@Tjuz I haven't seen beyond Season 1 but it's on my list. I've got a massive backlog of stuff to watch (movies as well) but I'll add "Happily Married" to the pile. If memory serves, "Slow Horses" (supposedly the all timer anti-Smiley performance from Gary Oldman) is the thing I need to check off the next time I buy a month's TV sub. I love espionage thrillers so I'm looking forward to it. After that I really want to give the second two seasons of "True Detective" a watch. By all accounts the new run with Jodie Foster is something special.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

sorteddan

@Tjuz
I'm with you on Fargo, the first and third seasons are my favorites. I thought the second was a bit too out there are silly. I am currently up to the last episode on the latest (series 5) which I've really enjoyed as well and looking forward to seeing how it ends.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

BearsEatBeets

@JohnnyShoulder yeah I got the email a little while back. I am certainly not pleased about the introduction of ads but I'm hoping it won't be too intrusive. I watch quite a lot on Youtube so of course I'm used to it on there although the inconvenience varies depending on the frequency and length of ad. I've also occasionally watched stuff on Freevee with Prime so I've put up with ads there too. I'll prefer it if it's just at the start than randomly in the middle but will have to see.
I don't intend to pay extra though. I've always paid for my Prime yearly as it's cheaper that way so will have until November to decide about renewing if it's really bad. I've already dropped Disney and I have realised I don't use Netflix that often. I have a reasonable watchlist of stuff on there but find It's mostly stuff I rarely seem to be in the right mood to watch so some of it has been there for a long time.
I'd say Prime is the one I use the most often as I find it has there largest collection of stuff and it actually adds new stuff much more frequently. Plus it covers a large amount of tennis tournaments through the year which is a huge plus for me. That's all before the next day delivery for stuff too.
But yeah, not a great change to the service (and they're starting it on my birthday too).

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 I can recommend Slow Horses, if only for Gary Oldman's performance. Not that is the only good thing about the series, but I found it by far the best. And every scene he has with Kristen Scott Thomas is pure gold. I've only seen the first two series, and was slightly more engaged in the story from series 1.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

PegasusActual93

@BearsEatBeets
The biggest issue I have with ads on streaming services that support ads is not the ads necessarily themselves but where the ads play. They often play out mid scene, often mid sentence even and it just completely kills the mood. At least on cable tv ads are usually placed in a way that is less intrusive. I just don't like this new direction of paid services still having ads. It's fine if the service is free, but If I am already paying 15 bucks a month just to access your service and you put ads on top of that then you can f--k right off.

Edited on by PegasusActual93

Born too early to explore space and born too late to explore Earth, but born just in time to explore memes.

FuriousMachine

@Elodin I loved Loudermilk and miss the show dearly. It kind of died when AT&T's Audience network folded and S3 was in limbo, despite having been completed. Then Amazon acquired the streaming rights, which since has gone to Netflix in the US, as far as I can tell. Apparently, the producers have thoughts for a fourth season, but are still looking for a home for it (not sure how active they are in that regard, though).
I think it more than held up through the three seasons we got, though

Edited on by FuriousMachine

FuriousMachine

Tjuz

@Elodin @FuriousMachine If you both would like to follow up Loudermilk with a similar show, I'd highly recommend giving Brockmire a look. It has one of my favourite comedic leading performances thanks to Hank Azaria's incredible delivery and timings. The writing is hilarious and it perfectly fits within that total ---hat who still manages to be endearing that made Loudermilk such a fun watch. No knowledge or interest in baseball necessary. I am not at all interested in sports in general and thought it was fantastic.

Tjuz

FuriousMachine

@Tjuz Thanks, good tip! I meant to check it out back when it aired, as I love Azaria, but the baseball angle held me back and I prioritized other things... then it ended and I forgot all about it. Will see if I can track it down and give it a go. Great to hear that one doesn't have to be a baseball fan to enjoy it Also, Amanda Peet was in it, too, if memory serves? Love her

FuriousMachine

Tjuz

@FuriousMachine Peet is so good in it as well, especially in the final season! It's a great emsemble all around. From the regulars to great guest stars ranging from J.K. Simmons to Martha Plimpton.

Tjuz

BearsEatBeets

@PegasusActual93 Yeah it's not a trend I'm happy about. At least Netflix introduced ads an alternative cheaper version rather than adding them and expecting more to get rid of them.
I'm considering more and more to just subscribe to these things for just a month, once or twice a year when something good comes out.
I'm curious to see how the physical releases of stuff go for Disney as I would love for the others to follow suit.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Elodin

@FuriousMachine I somehow missed when Loudermilk came out. Hidden gem for sure.

@Tjuz thanks for the recommendation. Ill definitely add to my watch list.

Elodin

Th3solution

I have to agree that the presence of ads on paid streaming services is a real bummer. They have already been gradually raising the subscription fees and cut back on content, especially original programming for a lot of these services, and then to place advertisements also into the shows seems like overkill. It really should be one or the other, imho. I’m not privy to how the budget is looking for these companies, but as a consumer I’m probably out if this becomes mainstream for all the services. Prime is the only one that might get away with it because the service was always first about getting Prime Shipping benefits and the TV/movie access was added later.

Over here in the U.S. we had to deal with one of the biggest football games being isolated onto Peacock streaming service, along with an increasing amount of other sports programming which has been free to access on network TV up to this point. It a kick in the teeth for fans and is causing a lot of consternation, especially considering the amount of ads that you had to watch during the game, in addition to paying for a service to stream it.

Unfortunately, if we as consumers give an inch, they will take a mile, and I expect the rising generation to just pay for this content, as well as succumb to being advertised to, going forward and there’s no way to stop it.

I wonder how long it will be until video game streaming will be interrupted by having to watch a 30 second ad for every hour of gameplay.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

XandertheWise

been binge watching breezing through Virgin River Season 2 all day and all night today. finishing up on episode 10.

then going to binge through Smallville Season 2 that's on Hulu

Edited on by XandertheWise

XandertheWise

FuriousMachine

@Th3solution I fear that you are right. It is interesting that it is reported that so many streaming services are struggling with the budgets when you look at the annual revenue numbers that came out during the WGA strike. Sure, they are spending a lot of money producing content, but I must say that I feel that at least half, maybe two thirds, of what is being churned out is of mediocre quality, at best. Whether or not those mediocre shows and movies are getting the requisite amount of viewers is difficult to tell as the streamers guard their viewer data fiercely.
It seems, though, that the strategy is to avoid cutting the budget or accepting lower (or stagnant) profits and simply finding new ways to fleece and annoy their customers in service of neverending profit growth.

Back in my younger days, when I had more time than money (and only a handful of interesting shows were available in this country), I was a happy pirate. If the only way to watch a show legally in the future is paying money to watch ad-riddled content, I might consider digging out the old parrot and peg-leg and hit the high seas again. I hate that thought, but I absolutely refuse to pay premium money for the privilege of having my show or movie interrupted every ten minutes with obnoxious ads.

FuriousMachine

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic