Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 2,241 to 2,260 of 4,400

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula I remember watching the very badly dubbed version when I was a kid. Entertaining, but I never knew what on earth was going on! 🤣

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

Perhaps not a good sign that I’ve watched this week’s Mighty Ducks but haven’t got round to Falcon and Winter Soldier yet! Although the Mighty Ducks series is surprisingly good.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett The more I watch of Falcon & Winter Soldier, the more I'm convinced that my enjoyment would be doubled if I followed the source material more closely. That isn't to say it isn't good; in fact, I'd call it great, but I'll be interested to see what you make of it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

zupertramp

@RogerRoger It really feels half baked so far. And I'm not sure knowing the source material would elevate it any.

Really did not wanna be a downer about this show as I love the MCU Winter Soldier and Falcon grew on me over the course of several films, and I'm fully on board with him taking up the shield and becoming the new qualifier-free Captain America, but man, what am I watching?

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@zupertramp I watched the third episode tonight and I have to agree, pretty much nothing has happened. I’m glad to see certain characters back, especially Zemo but there’s definitely something missing. I’m not sure what.

zupertramp

Spoiler laced rant incoming... Proceed at your own risk:

Like what's with this "things were better during the blip nonsense"? There's just no way anyone's lives improve on the short term if half the population disappears. no chance. the socio-economic chaos that would ensue would be so destabilizing even countries like the UK and the US would have trouble keeping it all together, much less the already poorer and more conflict riddled countries. The Flag Smashers could easily have a kind of borderless-world goal without everyone making it seem like all the countries came together after the blip to sing a worldwide rendition of kumbayah. Because they wouldn't, ever. Or Hawkeye wouldn't need to turn to extra legal killings of cartel members around the world. Then there's the rehabilitation of Zemo which frankly is disgusting in light of the state of the world today. White extremist who blows up buildings gets to do a cutesy dance at the club and partner up with Sam and Bucky. Uhhh, okay. Oh and they pardoned everyone but Sharon. Makes perfect sense.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

zupertramp

@nessisonett yeah episode 3 really went a long way pushing me more towards disliking the show. And I should be clear I like Zemo... as a villain. And Daniel Bruhl is good at it. But like, why is the show trying to get me to hate fake-captain america more than the guy who killed innocent people in a terrorist attack?

Edited on by zupertramp

TheFrenchiestFry

@zupertramp That's kind of what they're going for with John Walker

He's basically if Captain America was a complete dick to everyone and wasn't completely pure of heart. You could argue he's way more of an anti-hero than a legit good guy

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

zupertramp

@TheFrenchiestFry oh no doubt I totally get it. i think of him as Jason sudekis from that weird Anne Hathaway movie (I'm blanking). The pretend nice guy. And I'm fine with that. Just not sure about the buddy cop sheen they are putting on Zemo .

Edit: Colossal. The film.

Edited on by zupertramp

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry I dunno though, USAgent in the comics evolved over the years and became a lot more interesting. They seem to just be lifting his original arc. The actual baddies are incredibly uninspired to be honest, mostly seems like an excuse to generate articles about antifa than anything.

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp Colossal is film you are thinking off. And your right, it was really weird.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett I don't know how to feel about the Flag-Smashers honestly

Like I get their whole thing is wanting to liberate children in low class countries I guess? But it feels like they're kind of an afterthought. It feels like they're intentionally in the background because Zemo's probably going to end up screwing with everyone by the end as a last minute antagonist once Falcon inevitably assumes the shield and mantle

I think Walker as of right now is kind of in the Super Patriot phase of his tenure, but by the end they might be setting up him officially becoming the USAgent since he isn't really an evil guy. He's just on shaky morals and is more brutal and upfront. The serues might end with him becoming a more honorable hero

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry The entire morals of the show are skewy. The ‘baddies’ are wanting to free kids from genuine internment camps while the ‘goodies’ are freeing terrorists to take them down.

RR529

Shows I've finished recently (going to drop the "Content Guide" bit as I should be able to adequately express such things in the write ups themselves).

the Mandalorian season 2 (Disney+) - After the events of last season the Mandalorian is tasked with returning the infant to it's people, but in order to get a lead he's going to have to track down his own, scattered across the galaxy after last season's big finale.

The show continues to be excellent, now with the inclusion of a few familiar faces from elsewhere in the franchise, and the same movie quality budget that brought the first season to life. Can't wait for the spin-off teased at the end of the season.

Triage X (HiDive via VRV) - Anime series (from the creator of High School of the Dead) that chronicles the exploits of "Black Label", a covert vigilante outfit consisting of employees of Mochizuki Hospital (and students of an affiliated high school, 'cause anime), that operates under the idea that organized crime is a "cancer" on society & they must surgically remove "cysts & tumors" (i.e. the crime bosses who are nearly untouchable by law enforcement due to government connections) as part of society's treatment regimen.

It's definitely OTT in terms of "mature content" (the female character design would fit right into Senran Kagura, with plenty of nudity to go along with it, and depictions of Yakuza groping female hostages. Also, while toned down in explicitness from the manga, of which I've read a few volumes, the violence levels are still quite high), but it's still a relatively competent action series that narratively rises above your typical "fanservice" show. While it follows the events of the manga pretty closely, some of the nuance is lost (each case they get involved with has some sort of deep personal connection to one of the members of "Black Label", but this is glossed over in the anime) & it ends without a definitive conclusion (with it's chances at a season 2 pretty much shot seeing as how it's several years old at this point). Still, depending on your tolerance for fanservice it's a solid watch.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

colonelkilgore

The Last Kingdom... very good historical drama detailing the conflict between Saxon and Vikings.

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore I liked the first two series and watched them on BBC when they aired but just haven’t gone back to it after it jumped to Netflix. Definitely one of the better shows about that time period!

RogerRoger

@zupertramp Well, whilst I'm glad it's not just me, I'm also sorry to hear that you're slightly underwhelmed by the show. Again, I stress that I'm still enjoying it, and I'm not bored watching it, but it lacks that extra 10% of magic that could make it a classic. I think it must be the writing, because it certainly isn't the cast (who are knocking it out of the park in every scene) nor the presentation (great music, superb effects, solid direction and plenty of budget thrown at the production).

@RR529 Glad you enjoyed the second season of Mando and yes, what a tease at the end!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder Thanks. I was a little worried I might be the only one to have seen it.

@RogerRoger yeah the quality of production is incredible. Makes the DC CW shows look like, well, low budget CW shows.

@nessisonett

nessisonett wrote:

The entire morals of the show are skewy. The ‘baddies’ are wanting to free kids from genuine internment camps while the ‘goodies’ are freeing terrorists to take them down.

This.

Edited on by zupertramp

nessisonett

I am absolutely living for this Powerpuff Girls live-action sequel series. It’s just insane. The set photos look suitably bonkers.

Edited on by nessisonett

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic