Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,601 to 1,620 of 1,730

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I really quite like the back half of season 2 but I think season 3 is widely considered the best one. I enjoy the darker stuff though, Buffy does have to grow up at some point even if people like Xander(grr) don’t. Yes, Oz is great and I love him!

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Black Lives Matter. Enough is enough.

Ralizah

@RogerRoger @nessisonett I've noticed everyone seems to really love the show's third season, but it sits firmly on the lower rung of seasons for me (although above seasons 1 and 7, obviously; it's probably better than season 6, but I enjoyed that season more for how audacious it was). Season 5 is probably my favorite season of the show overall, I think, in terms of having an interesting villain, and the best balance of funny episodes with heart-breaking ones. Also, the climactic episode of that season was never really topped, imo, which makes sense when you consider it was written in a way where it could have been a series climax.

I love season 2, though, in terms of how it takes the idea of "my boyfriend changed when we slept together" and turned it into an apocalyptic nightmare. Also, Angelus is crueler and sexier than most of the other villains in the show, and really flexes that male yandere vibe. And Spike enjoys some fantastic character development over the course of the series and Angel.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
N/A

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I've not seen it i years, but i do not think Buffy ever goes back to being a "campy, hopeful monster-of-the-week show" as you put it, apart from the odd episode maybe. Good luck with season 3, hopefully it resonates with you a bit more.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@nessisonett @Ralizah @JohnnyShoulder Don't get me wrong; it's still a quality show, and its historical context in terms of serialised storytelling and themes is obviously to be applauded. Most of its contemporaries never allowed their characters to evolve beyond their pilot pitches, so it was (and is) very forward-looking in that regard. I think I'm inadvertently a victim of censorship; the amount the BBC must've hacked out of this show is incredible, from individual scenes to entire episodes. I never would've called it "outright horror" before, so it's a bizarrely compelling case study, of sorts.

Doesn't help that I haven't been feeling well lately, so I've been reaching for safe, comfortable content which I thought Buffy would be. Had it caught me in a better place, I might've been pleasantly surprised by the unexpected differences, but they're just bumming me out right now.

Which is why I'm taking a break. I've started something animated, so that'll help, I reckon!

Regardless, I do think that, whilst the broad story ideas must've looked great on paper, their execution has been a little lacking. The whole Angel / Angelus thing works as a post-game summary ("Buffy's boyfriend turns evil after they sleep together, and it turns out she must kill him to save the world, but he turns good right at the last moment OMG!!") but I reckon David Boreanaz could sell brooding, tortured hero better than insane, torturing villain. It also created a bunch of false tension whenever he and Buffy would fight, because it wasn't the end of the season and so they'd just stop and walk away from one another, mumbling something about "it isn't time yet" because the network demanded more episodes.

This kinda stuff doesn't usually bother me in the slightest; I'm well-aware of the realities of television production, after all. Clearly I'm just being Colonel Grumpkin at the moment!

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind."

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Angel’s Irish accent is literally the worst thing I’ve ever heard as well. It crops up a few times and it sounds horrific every time. It’s somehow worse than Tom Cruise’s one in Far and Away, which is impressive.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

R1spam

@Th3solution I would agree that there are also huge positives to social media platforms and I thought they did a good job of alluding to that. It was very scary stuff though, not easy viewing but well worth it. Anyway I might try the highscore documentary for a bit more lighthearted watching!

R1spam

BearsEatBeets

Just noticed there is a Dragon's Dogma series on Netfix (anime). I never actually played the game but I might check it out.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Th3solution

@R1spam Good idea — I’ve had that one in my watchlist for a while and just haven’t taken the time. If you do watch it let me know if it’s worth it.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

nessisonett

That Wandavision trailer makes it look really quite odd but I’m loving the look of it. I respect that they’re doing something different as Marvel projects have somewhat merged into the one tone in recent years. I like the elements from the recent Vision run as well, that’s one of the best runs of the 2010s!

JohnnyShoulder

Well this is disappointing:

Tagging @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy as I know you enjoyed the show also.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

... Well f$#k you too Netflix

Cheers for tagging me @JohnnyShoulder. I think the only other person who'd watched it on here was Kal... Dunno why as it's probably one of the best shows I watched last year.

I hope it's picked up somewhere, the show was left on such a cliffhanger! 😅

"Well that was fun. Horrible, but fun!" Fargus The Jester - Pandemonium (After a summoning a monster that destroyed his home town)

"Words don't make changes. Wounds do." Agent Black - Iconoclasts

Anti-Matter

Happy watching if you still remember this Mr. Bean episode. 🤣

My Favorite Rhythm games
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Pop'n Music
5. Beatmania IIDX
6. MaiMai
7. Taiko no Tatsujin
8. Dance Evolution
9. Sound Voltex
10. Mambo-A-Gogo

PSN: DavidHartonoDDR

JohnnyShoulder

Yeah hopefully one of the other services pick it up @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy. I will keep my eyes peeled and ears close to the ground, and post any news here!

Ralizah

@nessisonett As an American, I can't really tell the difference between a good and a bad Irish accent, thankfully.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
N/A

PSN: Ralizah

Arugula

Finished Avatar The Last Airbender. It's good and uh, yeah, that's it. Korra next.

Edited on by Arugula

Arugula

nessisonett

My Arrow binge has very quickly become an Arrowverse binge. Finished Season 3 of Arrow and Season 1 of The Flash last night and tonight I started Supergirl’s 1st season alongside the next seasons of both other shows. And I’ve to start watching Legends of Tomorrow around about halfway through these seasons. This is getting rather hard to keep track of so at least I have a guide 😅

Arugula

Watching Korra intermittently and it's very good. I love how headstrong and purely flawed Korra is, she's a fantastically layered heroine. The supporting cast isn't quite as strong as Aang's but the series is a good watch, especially season 2 as it ties in to the original heavily and explains a lot of unanswered questions.

Arugula

zupertramp

Annnd Netflix just cancelled GLOW. I'm so done with Netflix. I mean I've only ever been an off and on subscriber anyway but they're doing absolutely everything they can to make me hate them.

Anyway, I normally stick to the movie thread but ugh, I'm so unhappy with this.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"And if your hands were metal, that would mean something."

Th3solution

@Arugula So forgive my ignorance, but is Korra some kinda of offshoot from Avatar The Last Airbender? Does it pick up at the end of the series or is it entirely side content in a shared universe?

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic