Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,541 to 1,560 of 4,463

belmont

Arrow is my favourite tv series of all time. TBH I only watch comic book or literature based TV series but I really dig the series so much that I rewatched all of it after it ended! I know that it has flows (power rangers level of cheesiness, some episodes have way more soap opera than they should, writing is lazy, some characters are bland caricatures, the ending is a disservice to the character) but, come one, super hero comics have those aspects too.

As far as "Arrow gets better later", it always felt more of the same just some villains are not that interesting appear occasionally.

belmont

JohnnyShoulder

@belmont Your right most comic book shows and films have that, but Arrow seem to rely on it way too much rather than just have a sprinkling of melodrama. I don't mind a bit of it, but Arrow was to OTT with it for me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

I’ve got right into Arrow now. It’s just so hokey, I love it. The acting... varies but I do like Oliver and Diggle is great.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett I loved arrow, it came to a suitable wacky end with this year's crossover. I mainly got through the early seasons because I knew they'd end up spinning it off and giving us a slightly better justice League than smallville did. I always thought it was the worse of the shows but I always missed it when I wasn't watching it. It just made me laugh a lot. I love barrowman in this show, though I think his character gets better the less he's in it. He's much better when he's put in the crazier situations later on in this and other series.

Diggle is my favourite character though, especially in the earlier seasons, the Ollie/John bromance is something to behold. The show does get a lot better when they add more characters later on. At least in my opinion. The writing gets marginally better, which isn't saying much but at least dialogue stops getting repeated every 12 minutes (after every advert break).

I think what I'm trying to say is, I see every flaw in this show but I still love it nonetheless.

One particular highlight I noticed in a recentish episode is a big fight scene in the police station. To make it more chaotic there's just paper flying everywhere. But there is no source to the paper. It looks like they just set up reams of paper in the ceiling of the set and let them pour down into the action.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

Buffy the Vampire Slayer nearly lost me as a viewer, when a schoolboy's textbook erupted with spiders. I was semi-braced for them, as I'd noticed that the opening credits were made up of various Season One shots and therefore guessed that they were due. Part of me is thinking "Phew! I can relax now, they won't be showing up again!" but I think I'll still be watching on-edge for a little while.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger 😂 Sorry about that.

Thankfully, I don't remember spiders being a huge part of the show, so it's probably not something you'll have to worry about seeing too much.

That's probably another reason the remake of Resident Evil would never be for you. There's a section with gigantic tarantulas crawling around everywhere. I don't have a spider phobia, and I even I feel kind of squicked out during that section.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I totally forgot about the spiders. I hate spiders too but not quite to your extent! @Ralizah is right, REmake made my skin crawl with the spiders.

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Oh, hey, it's a horror show, no matter how tame. I'm sure there'll be other moments, with fewer than eight legs, but there'll also be plenty of Giles sipping tea and making sarcastic, eye-rolling asides about youth culture and 90s trends, so the risk is totally worth it.

Helps that there's a big shiny "Skip Intro" button on Prime, though. I never have to see them again!

And yes, I'm starting to realise that there are many reasons why I'll never be going near Resident Evil again, remake or otherwise, but that'd certainly be one of the top ones!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger But if you skip the intro, you’ll miss the amazing theme song 😢

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I deactivated Prime's autoplay feature, so I get the end credits.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

Can not wait for this! The Haunting of Hill House was terrifyingly excellent!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Tjuz

@JohnnyShoulder I'm beyond excited! The Haunting of Hill House was my favourite show of 2018 with ease, and I'd also put it in my top 3 shows overall. It's just the perfect miniseries. I really did not have any complaints. A great story full of lovely twists, incredible cinematography/directing (episode 6!!!) and fantastic acting. I hope Bly Manor can come even anywhere close. I'm trying to keep my expectations down, but it's hard when you're coming off of Hill House. The loss of Mike Flanagan as the sole writer is a bit concerning, but I'm sure it'll still be a good show. The teaser was a great first taste, anyway, although the tone does look quite different!

Tjuz

Ralizah

I'm actually watching The Haunting of Hill House rn. It's pretty good, although some of the scares are kind of cheap. I actually like the family story more than whatever supernatural stuff is going on.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Col_McCafferty

Watching and loving The Boys. Rewatched the first season recently to help me get into the mood.

It's just a brilliant show, so cynical and bloody and full of venom. I love it!

I think I enjoy more the superhero shows that come from more obscure sources. Not just The Boys but also The Umbrella Academy and Legion. They're just much more interesting to me than the big Marvel and DC shows. Not saying these are bad (Daredevil was really good) but just my personal preference.

Col_McCafferty

BearsEatBeets

@Col_McCafferty I've only recently started watching The Boys. I added it to my watchlist ages ago and just never got around to watching it, but the recent adds for the second series prompted me to start it. I'm only 4 episodes in but think it's awesome so far. I love the corrupt heroes angle and Karl Urban is excellent. Also the way it played out the 'terrorists on the plane' scenario was a particular highlight. Hopefully I'll get a few more episodes in this weekend.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Col_McCafferty

@BearsEatBeets You're halfway through S1 now but glad you're enjoying it. S2 apparently is 10 episodes long but after the first three dropped last night the rest will be released weekly. That's fine by me!

Col_McCafferty

JohnnyShoulder

@Col_McCafferty Agree with you there pal, those are probably my 3 favourite super hero shows too! Legion is a proper head **** of a show!

@BearsEatBeets Glad you are also enjoying The Boys, just finished the first episode of Season 2 but it is a very bingable type of show. Not something I normally do, but found it hard to stop watching it.

Col_McCafferty

@JohnnyShoulder The first season of Legion was so very good. It was funny, unsettling, weird, charming and sexy esp Sydney.

😍

Col_McCafferty

Tjuz

@Col_McCafferty Pretty sure S2 of The Boys is eight episodes like S1, before you get your hopes up! I'm mostly excited to see Aya Cash from You're the Worst in this new season as Stormfront. She's an incredible actress, and so far she has not disappointed. Her stuff in episode 3 was great. I'm not that big of a fan of The Boys overall so, honestly, I treat the rest of the show as my waiting time for more Aya Cash, but that works for me! Glad to see you've also loved Legion though. That and Watchmen are probably my favourite superhero shows overall.

I also finished P-Valley from Starz and Upload from Amazon Prime yesterday. Anyone watched either of those? P-Valley is a drama about the lives of female strippers in America, and it's really, really good. It's got the coveted 100% positive on RottenTomatoes too, so you don't just have to take my word for it! Upload is a show about a digital afterlife where you can choose to go when you die. It's from Greg Daniels, the co-creator of shows like Parks and Rec, The Office and Space Force. It's solid, but I didn't love it.

Edited on by Tjuz

Tjuz

nessisonett

I finished Season 1 of Arrow and I’m onto Season 2 now. It’s just so silly but really fun. Didn’t see that ending coming either, they really don’t hold back on the wanton destruction.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic