Forums

Topic: The Push Square Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 841 to 860 of 2,383

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy So if Liverpool were to win the Champions League and Qualify for Champions League as holders, will there 2nd (or 1st by some miracle) place league finish then go to the 5th place or not? Arsenal or Chelsea could qualify via the Europa League too and if either do, will the top 3 who didn't win a European cup qualify. Assuming the League positions remain the same next Sunday, If Liverpool wins the European cup, would Man City, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea also qualify because Liverpool qualify as Holders? Would Arsenal (currently 5th) have to win the Europa Cup to qualify for CL next Season?

That was all I was saying. I know a max of 5 teams can qualify for Champions League but I wasn't sure if a 5th place finish in the league is 'good' enough as route into Champion's League football. If Arsenal, currently 5th, don't win the Europa for example, would they be cheering Liverpool on in the Final vs Ajax (I can see them cheering on LFC over Spurs regardless LOL) hoping for a 'backdoor' pass into CL. Liverpool could Qualify as Champions League Champions so that at least 2nd place league finish spot is not taken so does that pass down to 5th place finish or not?

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy I know that if Watford win the FA Cup they get the next auto spot for the Europa Cup, so no qualify stages straight to the group stages. That means Man United would have to start in the qualifying rounds in mid June.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy 5th in the prem is never good enough for a CL spot. Unless you are 5th and win either the CL or Europa.

Sorry BAM I glazed over your comment. I had the answer and didn't write it lol.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder haha that would be funny as. In the true words of Alan Shearer; Man Utd are f****d.

@ApostateMage The Warriors is a great film. Barcas theme tune. No where to run to baby, nowhere to hide.

Kidfried

I'm rooting for Ajax tonight (though I love the Spurs as well).

First of all, I admit to being biased right off thebat. I actually moved to Amsterdam a month ago. Still settling in and getting used to the life over here.

Aside from all that, I do think they're deserving too. They managed to get this far with only half of the budget of the Spurs and most other CL clubs, and they're playing style is so fresh.

The team and its players have grown so much over the last two years, so reaching the finals after 20-something years would be the cherry on top of that.

Anyway, I expect a great match tonight, that will end in... 2-1. I don't know for which team.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

Can't stop watching the goals from last night. That Trent corner! Great stuff.

@Kidfried Yeah Ajax deserve to go through with the teams they have beaten already. Spurs look spent the last few games and need to seriously up their game to stand any chance to go through.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Kidfried

Ouch. Spurs are even worse than last weeks... I had hoped for a bit more of an equal match!

Kidfried

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy So if Liverpool were to win the Champions League and Qualify as the holders, their place that they earned through their position in the league doesn't get passed down to 5th. Obviously if Arsenal or Chelsea win the Europa, then only 3 spots could be allocated from League position.

Regardless of the result on the 1st of June, Liverpool will qualify so its not affecting my team. I just wondered if their spot for qualifying in the top 4 could be passed on to 5th if Liverpool were to win the Trophy and qualify as holders.

The way the other Semi-Final is going, it looks like it will be Ajax vs Liverpool (Liverpool will be the 'away' team). I can't see Spurs winning this match. They need 3 goals in 45mins away from home to go through on Away goals...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Kidfried

This match just turned epic. Wow, great stuff.

Kidfried

BAMozzy

Well maybe I was wrong....

Spurs have scored 2 of the 3 inside the first 15mins of the 2nd half...

2-2 and 3-2 (to Ajax) on Aggregate so if Spurs get 1 more (3-3) they could go through - that too would be a fantastic comeback....

Gremio108

Harry Kane: "Can I borrow your t-shirt?"

Mo Salah: "Okay, but I need it back by Sunday"

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy You can't qualify for the CL in 5th position.

If say Liverpool win the CL the hole that leaves in the 4 prem allocations is then given to the 3rd place team in France as they are the 5th most powerful league. If I remember correctly, when Real Madrid won that has happened. They only have 2 births direct to the CL league stage. Equally if Chelsea win the Europa then the next hole left from our Prem allocation is given to the 9th or 10th league but they start in qualification mode. I would check but I am watching the champs league right now.

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy Would you have believed Spurs would reach the final after being 2-0 down away from home against a team that has beaten Juventus and Real Madrid...

I know in the past that if a team won a European cup and qualified for Champions League, their league spot would be passed down to 5th spot. It makes sense that other countries, like France, who only have a few spots to get the 'spare' place. Liverpool for example can't be 'two' spots so the 'spare' spot used to stay in the country but I can see why Fifa would give that spare spot to one of the 'weaker' leagues.

Anyway, what a week for football comebacks!!

JohnnyShoulder

@BAMozzy You really should know better to write a team off like that after last night's result...

Two great games, two great come backs by the English sides. The neutrals will probs want Spurs to win seeing as they've not won this competition before.

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy @JohnnyShoulder It was like Ali playing possum. Tottenham absolutely shocking for 3 half's of football then go boss mode.

The crowd at the stadium were fantastic too. Well played Ajax great club, great set up and great fans.

Thrillho

Football, bloody hell.

Thrillho

BAMozzy

@JohnnyShoulder True - but the difference between last night and this was that for 3 halves of a football match, they hadn't shown anything that looked like they would get through. Liverpool though had just not been clinical at Barca and out-played them.

At half-time tonight, Spurs looked they hadn't got an answer to Ajax and it looked more like Ajax would score next - however, Spurs decided to turn up in that last half and the first goal injected more belief and that propelled Spurs on. Had that shot that hit the post by Ajax gone in, I think that would have killed the game off but a game isn't over until the final Whistle. Fair play to Spurs and we will see you in Madrid!!

themcnoisy

@Kyroki well done mate. Made up for you.

Best book your tickets for Madrid pal.

ApostateMage

What another fantastic game. I really feel for those Ajax boys but Spurs were relentless in that second half. It's gonna be a tasty final.

ApostateMage

JohnnyShoulder

@BAMozzy Poch got his changes spot on tonight, something he got criticised last season against Juventus.

@Kyroki See you in the final, hopefully it will be a good match.

@themcnoisy If you got the bread, I hear it is at least a grand for a ticket.

Not sure if this is true but if Spurs win the CL and finish fifth but Arsenal finish fourth and don't win the EL, Arsenal don't qualify for the CL lol.

Champions League and Europa League: Who will qualify in various scenarios? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47806720

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic