Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 721 to 740 of 2,197

ralphdibny

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I'm not sure we have discussed Kyuss before. I might actually check them out at some point, I knew Homme had his fingers in lots of pies but I kind of forgot about Kyuss.

I was thinking in the car, when the vaccines roll out that I might treat myself to a gig. I don't really go to gigs that much because I'm old and my body hurts but I think I would make a post pandemic exception if QOTSA or Muse or someone else I like plays a gig in London

See ya!

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I haven’t listened to Late Junction yet cause it was on New Years!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@ralphdibny Yeah I reckon you should check one of those gigs out. Try Welcome to Sky Valley by Kyuss, it's the best one.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

ShaiHulud

Ah, end-of-year lists. Here's mine:

1. Winterfylleth – The Reckoning Dawn
2. Aeternam – Al Qassam
3. Paradise Lost – Obsidian
4. Anaal Nathrakh – Endarkenment
5. Havukruunu – Uinuos Syömein Sota
6. The Ocean – Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic / Cenozoic
7. Soliloquium – Things We Leave Behind
8. Ulcurate – Stare into Death and be Still
9. Ulver – Flowers of Evil
10. Counting Hours – The Will

All in all an excellent year music-wise, I could easily have made a top 20 this time.

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I second your Kyuss choice good sir, Sky Valley is definitely the highlight of their repertoire. Haven't listened to them in ages so time to give them another spin!

Sic semper tyrannis

Thrillho

I've not listened to all that much new stuff this year but here's a handful of albums I've enjoyed;

Daniel Avery - Love + Light

A mixed bag of electronic music from some proper choons through to more chilled out tracks. I had heard a few tracks by him on 6music and this is the first of his albums I have. He also released an album this year with Alessandro Cortini which was much more ambient/noise than this album which was quite good too.

Four Tet - Sixteen Oceans

This guy has been around for years and I love his stuff and this album is no different. It loses it's way a little towards the end but still has some excellent tracks on it. I love this video too. He also dropped another album just before new year on bandcamp which I quite liked on first listen.

Hot Mulligan - you'll be fine

This is just a great, fun album which I've only been listening to for a couple of weeks but already love. Proper old school emo pop punk.

Martha Hill - Summer Up North

This is the second EP from her and all five tracks are great. I first heard this track on 6music but this EP wasn't out so I had to make do with her first one which is also well worth a listen. She has a fantastic voice and uses it amazingly with each track being quite different to each other. This track sounds like some sort of mashup between Jamie T and Kings of Leon while my other favourite, Before I Go, being some beautiful tragic pop song. Highly recommended.

The Menzingers - From Exile

I was a bit sceptical of an acoustic reworking of a punk album, particularly as it was one of my least favourite albums by them. But I really love this and probably prefer it to the original (although I Can't Stop Drinking remains a very long, boring track). The vocals really shine through on the stripped back tracks and the infrequent use of strings etc really take it up a level too.

Rival Consoles - Articulation

His previous album Persona was absolutely fantastic and originally I didn't think this lived up to it but it has massively grown on me. It's a fairly stripped back electronic album but goes for it on some tracks and all weaves together beautifully with the final track being a BANGER.

Slotface - Sorry For the Late Reply

I hadn't listened to this for a while and had forgotten it was even a 2020 release until Hector mentioned it but it's a great pop punk album that isn't quite as good as their first album but still well worth a listen.

The Smith Street Band - Don't Waste Your Anger

This album is another great one from them. While I don't think it's their best, it's still well worth your time as they are so great lyrically and backed up by big angry guitars. The addition of some female backing vocals add to their sound but the simple acoustic track "It's OK" is still the standout track for me (but I've gone for one more representative of the album here).

Full playlist if you want that instead (sadly my 10+ year old laptop goes to ***** if I try and use spotify these days);

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

Black_Swordsman

I listened to three albums today. Brian Eno - Film Music 1976-2020 ,MGMT - MGMT & La Roux - Supervision, MGMT was the best of the lot @ShaiHulud is it mostly rock and metal you listen to or do you enjoy other genres as well? I'm not really a big metalhead any more. I think you mentioned enjoying jazz such as Sco elsewhere on this forum?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett In the mood for some heavy rock meets classical music? If so try J G Thirlwell and Simon Steensland's Oscillospira record and let me know what you think. @ShaiHulud you might enjoy this too, it's quite soundtrack-y but gets quite Meshuggah-y in places. The album features what are really very concise and organic, simple structures, but the melodies they utilise are often laden with just the right kind of sinister tropes and overtones so that heaviness wins out over all, very much a djent-iccal record. (If I just coined that term, I deserve full credit - it goes down here for posterity.)

Edit: @ShaiHulud You may also enjoy Divide And Dissolve.

nessisonett

Just casually gonna remove all traces of John Maus and Ariel Pink from my Spotify 👀

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett I know about Ariel Pink, but what's the deal with John Maus? Are his views mostly nonsense in addition to Pink's? What have you been listening to over the weekend?

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic They were both at the Capitol building rally. I just can’t really be arsed with either of them and their excuses anymore!

I’ve not really listened to much to be honest, I did listen to Mort Garson’s Plantasia which is a strange album made for plants to listen to and grow.

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore I know you don't really like music, and I am fast losing interest in it, but this guy still captivates me, as a fellow former musician and now non-musician I thought you might enjoy the work of a man who is a self-described "non-musician". He has worked in production, film and composed pieces of music for art installations, of which this is one, let me know what your thoughts are!

Jimmer-jammer

Great thread!
Music has been the constant pillar of my life that grounds almost all of my artistic interests. I was that kid back in the day who would fast forward a VHS all the way to the part with the cool music just to hear it again, or listen to a whole song I didn’t much care for just to hear the brilliant part that didn’t overstay it’s welcome.
I was in a high school band that released an album and still write a lot of music to this day, though I’m not nearly as prolific and mostly just do it for myself.
I’ve become quite eclectic in my tastes but my staples still paint a fairly clear picture of where my tastes generally lie.
Non-obscure albums I’ve been enjoying lately:
Ghost, Prequelle
He is Legend, Few
AWOLNATION, Here Come The Runts
Mastodon, Emperor of Sand
Royal Blood, How Did We Get So Dark?
Adele, 25
Anberlin, Vital
Billy Talent, Dead Silence

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

colonelkilgore

@Draco_V_Ecliptic

Very interesting stuff... playing it as I was doing a few bits and bobs around the house was like having an internal original-score to my life playing in my head... rather than the internal narrator that my neurosis usually provides 😉

**** DLC!

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore Excellent, do you think you will try more of his work? (Eno says his ambient records are designed to be background music, so you listened to it in the ideal way, anything from his ambient works should be up your street if you liked that).

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic