Forums

Topic: PUSH SQUARE GAME CLUB | April | Midnight Suns ☽ ☀︎ 🂡

Posts 681 to 700 of 717

JohnnyShoulder

@sorteddan Glad you and @Th3solution enjoyed Inscryption also. It really does subvert expectations and there are not too many games I've experienced quite like it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

sorteddan

@Bundersvessel
Oh no worries, it's not like I'm disheartened or anything. Thanks for your continued efforts.

@JohnnyShoulder
Yeah it's definitely something I won't soon forget.

Thinking about it whenever I moved in to a new section I kind of wanted to return to the safety of the previous one which I had gotten used to and was fairly comfortable with. But also wanted to keep pushing on to see how it ended up. A really difficult game to discuss on here as well as pretty much anything that happens after the first act, and even some parts in the first act, would definitely be spoilers for anyone who hadn't yet reached that part.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

CaptD

@sorteddan Great to hear you finished Inscryption and enjoyed it. As for club participation, it is tricky and I wonder whether it might be that people don't have PS Plus Extra but it might simply be time which is the case for me this month. However card games aren't for everyone plus if the genre was for them then they probably would have played it by now.

@Bundersvessel I do try although this months game escapes me. Keep up the good work as I do enjoy reading all the comments (the unredacted ones). I certainly think if the discussion was pinned at the top of the recent discussions list then that would help.

CaptD

Th3solution

@sorteddan Congrats on making it to the end! And I am glad you ended up enjoying it and I didn’t lead you astray by encouraging you. 😄

I was curious about the

Kaycee’s Mod which unlocks after completion. I looked it up and apparently it’s a DLC type of latter add-on which is essentially a rogue-like mode with the card game. It apparently has some added background about Kaycee (the former owner of the disc and employee of GameFuna, also appearing in Act 2 as the deceased who died from falling ice onto her head).

I haven’t played Kaycee’s Mod yet, but I might later on.

I’m not sure if you had time to go back and read some of my spoiler tagged posts, but I was wondering about the parts in the third act which appear to get into your hard drive and make cards with pictures of previous game files you have. What cards did P03 make for you? I wonder if it really looks at all old save files on your PS5 or if it looks at the trophy list or if it just has stock images for those cards and randomizes them. I also wonder if the part where you make a card that is supposedly then sent online into another person’s game actually happens or if it’s smoke-and-mirrors like a lot of the tricks of the game messing with your computer/console. What did you think about that and the other crazy occurrences of the ending? I thought the YouTubers murder was quite well done, for as low budget as those videos were. 😅

But it has been fun for me to read your experience, and even to see where our playthroughs may have been slightly different in a lot of ways.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Agreed. It’s a different style of game than anything I’ve ever played either, the card game mechanics notwithstanding.

It’s a good recommendation for anyone who feels like they’re in a gaming rut or in need of something truly unique and different from the standard fare.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

sorteddan

@Th3solution

Well I don't recall what pictures were on the cards it made for me sorry! I had a feeling I was getting to the end so just kind of head down went for it. As for accessing my hard drive, well that bit was clearly made up. I don't tend to keep many save files on the system except for what I'm currently playing. So it gave me the option to choose files from two drives including C:Windows - if I was playing on a PC I may have been worried it was actually my system but I'm fairly sure my PS5 doesn't have a Windows hard drive so I just picked the biggest files I could find on it.

I also didn't believe that it was actually sending the card I made to anyone like it says it is - but I may be wrong. I think it's more scripted trickery. Should be fairly easy to check as if it is real then some people must have failed and lost the battle as a result... Guessing the internet will know! Or you could see if you can do that bit while playing offline!?

Perhaps worth mentioning that I'm always this cynical - possibly why I picked up and used the bottle of goo despite the game telling me not to and that it had no purpose. To me that's the equivalent of the game having a big red button with a sign saying "Do not press" ... You know I'm gonna.

Yeah I might also have a play with Kaycees mod, I had a thought earlier that there may be some more video clips to unlock on that part, and if there is I wanna see them.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

HallowMoonshadow

Thanks for the page @Th3solution!

I'm so sorry everyone I've been absent on the only bloody month I was actually taking part!

To cut a long atory short I had a dental emergency and was in quite a lot of pain over the past 11 days.

I'll try my best to catch up now that I'm in a good enough headspace!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@HallowMoonshadow So sorry to hear about your predicament! Although I am wondering if you’re being sly about a “dental emergency” when speaking about Inscryption… it’s either morbidly ironic, or a clever meta-joke on your part! 😂

Either way, hope all is well for you and no worries about being a week or two late to the party. I finished the game within two weeks or less (and we all know how slow I tend to play games) and @sorteddan also made fairly quick progress. I’m not sure if @CaptD or @Mr_B021 ever were able to get any momentum with the game, but there’s plenty of others who played it in the past who are likely to chime in with discussion, should you get back into it.

If you haven’t seen, I ended up thoroughly enjoying the game and it was a real treat to try something new like this. It’s opened my mind to card games now, although I realize this is not a traditional card game. Either way, it was a creative and novel game and I’m curious how you get along with it. 😄

sorteddan

@Th3solution
So I've been dipping back in to the game for various trophies..

I paid a bit more attention on the Golly uberbot battle. At the part where they ask "Are these your friends?" I can confirm that the next cards they played had the names and profile pictures of the first two people alphabetically on my friends list, when I beat those two it went on with the next from the friends list. .. If I had let the battle last a few more rounds I would have got to vanquish Bundersvessel! So yeah it was definitely accessing my profile to do that.

Then when I had to send my created card to someone else it waited a while and said it couldn't find anyone so I got to keep it instead. So If that part is fake then it's got more than one outcome at least.

Th3solution

@sorteddan Woah! That’s really cool. I love that. Thanks for looking into it. It didn’t occur to me that the cards were actually from my friends list.

Are you playing any of Kaycee’s mod?

sorteddan

@Th3solution
Haven't yet. One trophy to go in act 3 then I think I'll have a go at it in the next day or two, if it just reverts back to an alternate modified version of act 1 like I think it does then I'll be able to get back into my one run a day groove so should suit me.

CaptD

@Th3solution Unfortunately I really haven't had a chance to try Inscryption, this month everything seems to have got away from me. F- "Try harder"

@sorteddan Great stuff. Gonna feel good to get that platinum I reckon.

@HallowMoonshadow Sorry to hear that and dental pain is the worst. Hope the pain is receding or the drugs still work.

CaptD

Mr_B021

@Th3solution the posts here kept me going for a few more runs, but in the end I had to conclude that this one is unfortunately not for me. I had the same with Slay the Spire. Deck builders are just not my thing. I loved to read all your thoughts. It sure looks like a very special game. Thanks to Game Club I at least tried a game I otherwise would never have played.

Mr_B021

PSN: Mr_B021

Th3solution

@CaptD @Mr_B021 No worries, friends. Definitely a game that isn’t necessarily for everyone, or at least requires being in the right mood.

HallowMoonshadow

Completely unintentional meta joke there @Th3solution! Though at one point I really would've been tempted to use some pliars

Thanks very much @CaptD. The pain's come and gone at the past week but nowhere near as bad as it was. Should get it sorted out properly soon!

As for Inscryption I unfortunately haven't had chance to play it the past thanks to trying to sort out some other things.

I'll be playing it this month though instead and hopefully see what all the hub-ub is about!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

CaptD

Dave the diver is joining Extra on April 16. I think a few people are looking forward to that one, I know I am so it might be a good game for mid April or May game of the month.

CaptD

Th3solution

So, I have another confession about my own ignorance. —
I didn’t know what an Ouroboros was.

In fact, I didn’t even realize at first when I heard the reference today. They were talking about something eating or destroying itself as an ‘Ouroboros’, I thought to myself, “Hmm… that’s what the card in Inscryption of the snake eating its own tail was called, the Ouroboros card…”. I just thought that was a random name they gave that card. And then I realized it’s apparently a well known cultural icon.

I’m not sure how I’ve never heard of a Stoat, nor an Ouroboros, but I really feel sheltered now. Like I grew up on another planet or something. I can relate to Eve from Stellar Blade looking quizzically at books in a library or rain falling from the sky for the first time. How was it that I’d never heard of the word Ouroboros?

And I totally dropped the ball too because I realized way too late that the Ouroboros card was way overpowered if you level it up early. I had the card sitting in my deck and I never played it until toward the end game when I was just messing around and then realized after the card was defeated from the board that it popped up in my hand again and all the stats had increased by one. Apparently you can use a trick to just grow your Ouroboros card into an OP wrecking machine.

Anyways, once again, Inscryption taught me something that I was probably supposed to have know years ago.

Bundersvessel

Alright gang, Are we all well? My internet was off for 5 days so apologies on the lateness of an update. Another very lean month on the vote side, only one game has more than one mention; that game being Midnight Suns

How are we all feeling about that?

#PSQGameClub

One love 👍

@Pizzamorg @Mr_B021 @QualityGeezer @KilloWertz @Th3solution @Ryne-Gaia @crimsontadpoles @RogerRoger @Hallowmoonshadow @R1spam @CaptD @Th3solution @ralphdibny @LobsterJohnson @SillyBoyJudas @kidfried @Fight_Teza_Fight

sorteddan

@Th3solution
I guess it's more common to have never heard of a mythical serpent representing repeating cycles that's been used by various cultures for thousands of years than to never have heard of a stoat. Really, who has never heard of a stoat - you should ask your school for a refund!

Re Kaycees Mod...
So I started playing this round about whenever my post was saying I would. I got beaten, beaten and beaten again. It was like banging my head against the wall. I think it made me realise how little I'd understood or mastered the mechanics during my initial playthrough. I think I just kinda stumbled my way through much of the game with favourable RNG, inspired guessing and dumb luck.

Anyhow with a bit of reading and practice I started making a bit more progress, consistently being able to get further and a couple of days back I completed challenge level 1. Whoop whoop. It took me 21 attempts to do so. Doing so unlocked a different starter deck which I've had a bit more luck with - have completed challenge levels 2, 3 and 4 with only one failed attempt. I awoke today thinking of synergies I could try out so it's fair to say it's now got it's hooks into me!

I think Kaycees mod is the game for the proper players, like a hardcore mode but when your deck and tactics come together it feels fantastic - I beat all three stages of Leshy yesterday without letting him attack once and have managed to do 40 scales damage in one turn! So each time you beat a new challenge level it gives you another journal entry to read detailing how Kaycee first noticed the game coming alive and her response to it. Just a couple of paragraphs each time but there is still some more lore there If you're interested.

Anyhow I'm loving it and would recommend you giving it a go if you feel you have unfinished business with the game or ever have the urge to return to it. Just be aware you may get your backside handed to you quite a bit.

@Bundersvessel
I started that yesterday and was pretty impressed with the opening cinematic set up and tutorial, so I may be able to contribute once again if that is settled on as game of the month. But also I've been wanting to play Dave the Diver, as the Captain suggests, since I first became aware of it so I'm prob gonna jump on that as soon as it's available as well.

Edited on by sorteddan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic