Forums

Topic: Push Square Forum Weekend Quiz MK-II

Posts 321 to 340 of 343

Th3solution

@Gremio108 Sir, you really need to write for a video game developer. Some of your stories are leagues better than the output of some of these studios. 😂
And is Uncharted: Drake’s Contraception the story of Nate and Elena trying to avoid pregnancy so Elena can continue her filming career or is it an alternate universe where Drake’s mom was on the pill and so he was never born? That would certainly affect how the series plays out 😂

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Gremio108

@Th3solution Drake's Contraception concerns Nathan's confusion when he and Elena somehow fall pregnant despite using protection. Thankfully, the mystery is solved when Nathan Jnr is born sporting a moustache and a hawaiian shirt

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

Right, that's quite enough contraception talk!

Thanks to everybody who gave this quiz the ol' college try. I'm pleased to see that my attempts at a broad diversity of questions paid off this time!

Before I reveal the results, here are the correct answers I was looking for.

Q1. I was talking about the Sly Cooper series, which stars a raccoon named Sly, a turtle called Bentley and a hippopotamus called Murray.

Q2. The correct option was d) The Super Nintony Entertainment Station Plus (SNES+). It's what I'd imagine some grotesque marketing department would come up with nowadays but, during the late 80s and early 90s, simplicity and common sense were still in abundance. The planned hybrid console was to be called the Super Famicom CD-ROM Adaptor in Japan, and the SNES CD-ROM System in western markets, coming together as the "Nintendo PlayStation" when sold as a complete unit.

Q3. This one was false, I'm afraid. A mistranslation during the English localisation of Street Fighter II arcade cabinets mangled one of Ryu's victory quotes from "If you cannot overcome my Rising Dragon Fist, you cannot win!" into the rather misleading "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!" which made people assume that there was indeed a final, hidden boss called Sheng Long. The myth was perpetuated by a few April Fools' jokes in official gaming magazines, despite subsequent console ports correcting the error. It stems from the fact that Ryu's signature move, the Shoryuken, means "Rising Dragon Fist" which, when fed through Chinese pinyin, comes out as "sheng long".

Q4. Identity Parade, v.2
According to Google, the following fine folks are...

Untitled

Character A = Sphinx from 2003 platformer Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy.
Character B = Old King Allant from Demon's Souls (specifically the recent PS5 remake).
Character C = Jörmungandr (a.k.a. the World Serpent) from God of War (and yes, I've given points to anybody who just said "the World Serpent" or "the serpent" because there's no way in heck I'd expect perfect spelling from memory).
Character D = Kyoko Kirigiri from... well, I was just gonna say that she's from Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, but then @Ralizah rather went and pwned this answer!

Q5. I was talking about Luigi, who hails from the Mushroom Kingdom, was originally designed as a multiplayer counterpart for Mario, and who gives the most savage (and meme-worthy) of death-stares to his opponents in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Q6. The correct option was b) Turian. Whilst I'll admit that including Romulans was a deliberate red herring (they're from Star Trek), Krogans and Batarians are also races from Mass Effect. Nevertheless, Garrus Vakarian is most assuredly one proud Turian.

Q7. This one was true (terrifyingly). Don't believe me?

Untitled

You have to backtrack a little and clip through a wall to find him but, as @nessisonett accurately remembers, this poor chap can be found hidden inside a burning skyscraper in Hong Kong and yes, from beneath his backside, you can retrieve the Golden Gun.

Q8. Movie Music, Maybe?
Thanks for once again indulging my passion for soundtrack music.

Track 1 = This was a movie-based game, specifically the track "Indy Action" from PS2 adventure Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb.
Track 2 = This was a game-based movie, specifically the track "Flower Pagoda Battle" from 2002 blockbuster Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life.
Track 3 = This was a movie-based game, specifically the track "Finiculi" from the pizza delivery missions in the PS2 adaptation of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2.
Track 4 = This was a game-based movie, specifically the track "Sonic the Hedgehog" from... oh, c'mon, do I have to spell it out...?!

Q9. I was talking about Grand Theft Auto IV, during which Niko is the primary protagonist. His cousin is called Roman, and Dimitri is one of the story's antagonists.

Q10. The correct option was b) "Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?!" Let's be honest, it's only a matter of time before Duke uses that line, but I deliberately threw it in alongside another Clint Eastwood quote ("Go ahead. Make my day.") which he's said before. He says "Book 'em, Danno!" whilst inside a wrecked police station, quoting Hawaii Five-0. I was equally surprised to learn that Duke has indeed referenced Yoda by saying "Do, or do not. There is no try." Was news to me!

Q11. This one was true, and an accidental bit of trivia I stumbled across the other day. The original UK releases of FIFA 2001 and Gran Turismo 2 did indeed ship with scratch n' sniff coatings on their discs. Obviously the concept didn't catch on, but what an age to be alive, eh?

Q12. Cover Me, I'm Going In!
Thanks for all the hearty belly-laughs you provided with some of your answers here! Please find below the original, unaltered cover art in all of its horrendous glory.

Cover A =
Untitled

Cover B =
Untitled

Cover C =
Untitled

Cover D =
Untitled

I've been quite generous with points here. Anybody correctly identifying Mary-Kate and Ashley, for example, scored either a point or a half-point (in the interests of neatness).

Which means, according to my calculations, the results (out of 21 points) are as follows.

Equal First: @mookysam and @nessisonett with 16 points!
Equal Second: @Ralizah and @Th3solution with 15 points!
Third: @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy with 13 points!
Equal Fourth: @crimsontadpoles and @ralphdibny with 11 points!
Fifth: @themcnoisy with 9 points!
Sixth: @Gremio108 with 7 points!

Congratulations to all the winners above, and huge thanks again for taking part!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Blooper987

I was going to play the quiz but decided against it after realizing I only knew two of the questions the Luigi one and Kyoko Kirigiri, best girl from DR1!

RogerRoger

@Blooper987 No worries! Thanks for giving it a look-see!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Given that my equal triumph depended on my knowledge of Mary Kate & Ashley and Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties... I’m not sure whether I should really be proud of myself 😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Gremio108

@nessisonett Genuinely thought Plumbers Don't Wear Ties was a joke answer. Well played

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

nessisonett

@Gremio108 That ‘game’ is honestly so insane it might as well be a joke answer.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

Huh... I honestly thought I did pretty poorly there @RogerRoger so I'm quite pleased to end up right in the middle of the results. Great quiz ... Though that Gilligan's Island box art still just looks incredibly wrong to me

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

themcnoisy

@Gremio108 I will sus it next week. I've said this for years but we should have a sticky thread with the technical stuffs.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I think we should all be aware of such nightmares. The only way to avoid repeating history's greatest mistakes is to educate yourself about them!

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy You were the only person to ace the identity parade!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Thanks for a great quiz! I’m proud of my second place finish! I don’t get too many of those. 😄

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution It was no trouble! Am grateful for everybody's kind words, thank you. And yes, a very impressive silver medal, sir!

I won't nominate the next quizmaster, as this topic seems to just get itself resurrected whenever anybody has a good idea for a set of questions. The door is always open, so if anybody's passing through and wants to challenge the community, have at it!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I am ever impressed with your skill in SHAREFactory and video editing. I wouldn’t have the first clue to put together those clips. I know you’ve said it’s not that hard, but it intimidates me and I don’t feel inclined to invest the time required. I bet you’d be a good Dreams creator — if nothing else than the ability to edit together content to be make artistic sense. 😄

RogerRoger

@Th3solution You're most kind, but I think we've just identified the precise reason why I'll never go anywhere near Dreams. I fear it'd consume me!

Having said that, I did stumble across a few old posts of mine the other day, in which I flat-out proclaimed that I would never, ever watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or play a Dragon Age game, so let's be honest: it's only a matter of time. D'oh!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Ah, and don’t forget Spider-Man. 😄 There was a time when your disdain for eight-legged creepy crawlies had you convinced to stay away from the web-slinging hero. Never say never, indeed.

But yeah, honestly the Dreams suite is an enormous time-sink on the creative side. I barely scratched the surface of the tutorials before getting anxious about the need to move on, so I guess all my great ideas will stay put in the back of my head.

I have deep respect for those who create content. I was even following your discussion with Ralizah over on the review thread about the writing process and came to the realization that I haven’t written a proper review in quite a long time. My patience appears to be dwindling lately for such endeavors. Or perhaps it’s good ol’ fashioned laziness. 😅 Either way, I do enjoy consuming content created by others.

Edited on by Th3solution

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger cheers for that! Fourth place ain't too shabby for me so I'll take that

See ya!

RogerRoger

@Th3solution How could I forget Spidey...?! D'oh! Yet more evidence that I should refrain from making blanket statements of absolute certainty!

Yeah, my problem is that I've had three or four ideas for what I'd do with Dreams already, and that scares me even more, because they're not exactly quick. And that's without browsing around other people's impressive creations, some of which would undoubtedly knock my confidence. The day they give it away free with PS Plus might be the day I disappear down the rabbit hole.

Approaches to such things can change over time; you never want your hobby to feel like a chore, and writing a formal review is just a slightly-more-elaborate way of saying "so I played a thing, and here's what I thought" which we all do plenty of, across the entire forum. Sometimes it simply takes being in the right mood to wanna expand your thoughts. You've certainly got the skills standing by for if and when the mood strikes you. Your "double feature" about Star Wars, Dead Cells and Metroidvania level design made for a memorable approach (and a really enjoyable read).

@ralphdibny My pleasure! Glad you had fun!

Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

@RogerRoger Hey, Rog. Sorry, been busy of late. Will give it a go when I have I the time just to see how bad I'll do. Looks difficult at first glance. haha

Huntin' monsters erryday.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.