Forums

Topic: Dex's Diner - The Star Wars Topic

Posts 541 to 560 of 810

LN78

@RogerRoger So Lars Mikkelsen already does the voice of Thrawn in the animated shows, I take it? I guess I'd have known that if I was a true "Star Wars" fan. 😉.

LN78

LN78

I definitely felt the pacing was a bit askew in this week's episode of "Andor". The writer seems to have taken one of the key criticisms (that the "men on a mission" weren't sufficiently fleshed out) of "Rogue One" to heart but I think that action and character building can be successfully intertwined so that the impression that a group of people are just camping, chatting and arguing in a field in the Lake District is lessened. I do really appreciate the sense of foreboding about the heist itself that is building (today's installment basically put a giant bullseye on one of the gang) and that something as (previously) innocuous as lone TIE fighter is now a terrifying harbinger of doom but for me it needed to kick up a gear with this episode and just didn't get there - I suspect I may have been spoiled by binge releases of premium content on other services but hey ho - it still had enough great performances, visuals (Coruscant continues to look superb) and music to carry me through.

LN78

RogerRoger

Yeah, this week's Andor was boring AF. The show's in real danger of whipping me up into a coma. Looks like that three-episode arc structure is established, though; next week needs to be wall-to-wall heist action to wake everybody up and make some actual progress.

I'm beyond annoyed at how they've handled the Mon Mothma stuff, as well. Such a letdown.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger What's wrong with the Mon Mothma aspect of the show? Am I missing something? Because I've liked all of her stuff so far.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Comments made in interviews with the writers and producers suggested that the show would be more of a two-hander, split almost evenly between Cass and Mon. Five episodes in and...

...we've spent a grand total of what, fifteen minutes with her? With only her introductory scene connected to everything else going on, albeit tenuously? Her entire involvement in today's episode felt completely disjointed and random, like it'd been hastily shoehorned in at the last minute. I was really looking forward to a Coruscant political thriller, with double-dealing senators trying to cover up treason and stab each other in the back, and thought it'd help get me through all the "nascent rebellion" crap, which I'm so freakin' sick of. I actively dislike every single member of Cass's Merry Men, and am looking forward to the inevitable moment overwhelming Imperial forces erase them from existence.

Phew, sorry. Obviously needed to vent. Guess that'll teach me to believe pre-release hype interviews.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger As you can probably guess,I hadn't read any of the pre-release stuff (because I could not have cared less) nor am I tired of "nascent rebellion" storylines because (movie content aside) I haven't been a party to any of them, so all of the show (slow pace and all) is coming as a very pleasant surprise. Sorry you don't like it - I think it's the best filmed "Star Wars" content since the OT. Like you said before though - it's a big old universe - more than enough room to accommodate a multitude of tastes - as my sister- in-law pointed out the other day, the target audience for the original movie (assuming they saw it in '77) is deep into their Fifties at this point. Nothing wrong with something a little less frenetic and a touch more thoughtful to appeal.to that crowd, too.

LN78

NedStarksGhost

@RogerRoger I'm hoping we see way more Mon Mothma stuff. Perhaps as more of her life unravels we will get more?

I liked this week's episode, but I think it's because I'm expecting it all to build up to a pay off with the heist episode next week. They really should have release these episodes as chunks of 3 every two weeks to give people time to watch them all.

I honestly think by the end we will look back on the slow episodes better. This will be a series that's better binged than weekly.

It's a shame because the acting and writing is very good. Loved some of the lines from tonight.

But I do agree with you, the last two episodes have really been a slow burn. I do think we are in for a treat of an episode next week though!

NedStarksGhost

LN78

@NedStarksGhost Some of the dialogue is absolutely sparkling ("You wouldn't like it - it's charitable") and I'm really enjoying the cadence of the performances, too. It's as if they're actual people talking to one other and not stagey characters taking it in turns to say lines of dialogue - something an awful lot of "Star Wars" content has been guilty of, right back to the OT.

LN78

NedStarksGhost

@LN78 oh yeah agree completely, and I love that about Andor. Everything just feels real, mature. Even though it's slow, they are pushing the plot forward through clever dialogue. I hope we got more content like this; where hey really explore the characters more.

What I will say about the episode is I feel the steaks of the heist are much higher now because I have a better connection with the characters.

NedStarksGhost

LN78

@NedStarksGhost Absolutely - like I said to Rog it felt like that was a deliberate attempt by the writer to address one of the biggest criticisms of "Rogue One". I'm all for it - as you said, I'm much more invested in the characters now and so that ramps the tension (something else the show is good at) up even higher. Great stuff.

LN78

NedStarksGhost

@LN78 I don't mind a slow burner, because the pay off ends up being great. I do think this series will be amazing to binge watch.

Similar to how The Walking Dead Season 2 was a (very) slow burner, but binge watching it is great as there's a ton of character development.

NedStarksGhost

LN78

@NedStarksGhost That's a good point because I do think the release schedule is killing the show's momentum to a certain degree. Some shows are fine to watch episodically from week to week, I just don't think that "Andor" is one of them - that seems to be the most common refrain (along with complimenting the excellent acting) in the reviews that I've seen and read.

LN78

NedStarksGhost

@LN78 it really is. Like @RogerRoger and I discussed the other day; releasing the episodes in chunks of three would be better.

They probably do them weekly to keep your subscription for longer.

NedStarksGhost

LN78

@NedStarksGhost Oh that's definitely why - no question about it! I massively resent paying for Disney+ as well (I'd reconsider if there was a physical release on the horizon but I'm told that's unlikely) but I hate piracy even more so it's a bit of a lose/lose situation for me. I really do want to see what happens next, though!!!

LN78

Th3solution

@LN78 @NedStarksGhost @RogerRoger I’m have a little FOMO with all the Andor buzz, but am glad to see it’s a pretty universal feeling that bingeing the show will be the optimal approach, because I won’t get to it for a while. Looking forward though.

I’ve made the mistake (if that’s the right word. Maybe “tactical misjudgment” is more correct) of watching Rings of Power one a week-by-week basis as they come out and I’m suffering a little from what y’all are describing with Andor. Excellent acting, interesting premise, wonderful deep-dive into the established universe, but it’s frustrating how week-to-week episodes only push the plot forward a tiny bit and I have to wait all week for the next one. Regardless, as you can see with the updating of my profile pic with Arondir the Silvan Elf, I’m ‘all-in’ on the show. Plus I love how he draws his bow in that unique inside approach, which I’ve not seen before. I think it might be an ancient Asian style of archery. With all the bow and arrow gameplay I’ve experienced (HZD, Tomb Raider, Kena, Dark Souls, The Last of Us, etc, etc… sheesh there’s a lot of B&A gameplay…) and shows I’ve watched, I can’t remember that technique before.

Anyways… 😅 back on topic —

Do you think Andor would be a good show to either introduce a newcomer to Star Wars or at least bring someone back in who’s not held much interest in the series before? I’m looking to see if it will be good to recommend or watch with someone who doesn’t particularly like or pay attention to Star Wars. They’d probably need to have at least seen Rogue One and A New Hope, I guess?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 I'm sure I saw somewhere that Disney confirmed that none of the shows that have premiered on the service won't be getting a physical release. If I can find the source I will share it on here.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

@Th3solution Oh I'm the poster boy for the returning ex "Star Wars" fan. I've recommended "Andor'" to a few of my friends (who, funnily enough, have just stopped watching "Rings of Power" out of sheer boredom) that aren't even vaguely interested in the franchise just on the basis that it's a really solid show. I'll let you know how they get on.
@JohnnyShoulder They've confirmed that they won't be getting physical releases?

Edited on by LN78

LN78

NedStarksGhost

@Th3solution I'm glad to hear Rings of Power will be better on a binge watch, as I've left it.

To answer your question; in my opinion Andor would be a poor place to introduce someone. I don't think it lends itself well to casual viewing, it's very good if you have an idea of the universe.

I think Mandalorian is the perfect place to introduce someone back to the franchise. It's episodic, has great characters and each episode comes with action. Plus you have The Child! It's excellent for casual viewing.

Edit: just noticed LN's opinion, interesting we differ!

I'll adjust my view a little; it might be a good place to start once the show is out and it can be binged, as opposed to weekly watch.

And in some ways it might be a cool thing to introduce someone to Cassian before they've seen Rogue One!

Edited on by NedStarksGhost

NedStarksGhost

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Yep, that's right. None of them have so far I believe.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LN78

@JohnnyShoulder I thought that's what you meant. There's a bit of a double negative going on in your earlier post!

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic