Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 961 to 976 of 976

Elodin

Rereading Areonaughts Windlass in preparation for book 2. It has been so long. I had to reread it. I forgot how good it was. Really interesting ideas from talking cats with clans as important as people to societies living in spires above dangerous mists. Jim Butcher really knows how to pull me into his worlds.

Elodin

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

Finished the titular second story in Vathek and Other Stories by William Beckford. Fascinating stuff, it left an indelible impression on me and I'll have to read more of his stuff after I finish this book. One of the best short stories I have ever read, perhaps the best, but I'll have to let it sink in, in order to make my decision properly. Comparable only to Thomas Mann's short stories, definitely.

"I cherish my thoughts and hold 'em exclusive, Confucius." - Ransom

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

FuriousMachine

Closed out Peter May's "China Thrillers" series today.
Chinese Whispers (Goodreads page), the final full length novel, was probably the best of the lot, in my opinion. There were two instances where the main characters behaved quite stupidly, but I got over it quite fast. Well, the first precipitated some serious fallout in the latter half and that grated a bit, but the story was overall good enough to warrant five stars in my Goodreads review.

The short story The Ghost Marriage (Goodreads page), written six years after the final novel, suffered from being just that: a short story. It was very hard not wanting more, but it was a four star read nonetheless.

Now I'll be starting the next entry in my "return to King & Koontz" project, which is The Door to December (Goodreads page) by Richard Paige, which is, of course, a pseudonym for Dean Koontz.
My previous forays into Koontz' earlier work has been a great success, so looking forward to this one

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

@FuriousMachine I'm only on chapter 3 of the fourth Sacrifice, but I really enjoy Margaret and Li as characters. Looking forward to getting through all the books!

Haven't read any Koontz before might have to add his bibliography to the list. Damn you 😉.

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 LOL Don't worry, he's only written some 90 odd novels or so... give or take I used to read him and King a lot in my teens, so I decided to revisit them both a little while back. I'd say Koontz' novels are more thrillers with a supernatural bent (though not always) compared to King's horror novels and some of his novels move quite fast and has had me on the edge of my seat at times.
I've only read five novels in recent times: "Whispers", "Twilight Eyes", "Phantoms", "Darkfall" and "Servants of Twilight" (as Leigh Nichols); all four stars from me, except the last one, which was a very solid five starrer. From my youth I remember "Lightning" and "Watchers" as favourites, so I'm looking forward to see if they hold up as well. There's plenty to choose from!

And I agree, Margaret and Li are great characters! There are some recurring ancillary characters I enjoyed quite a bit as well, in particular the gum chewing Wu and, of course, Mei Yuan.
Speaking of Peter May, I just discovered that he's releasing a follow-up to the excellent Lewis Trilogy in September, so I'm really looking forward to that!

FuriousMachine

BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN

Finished most of William Beckford's Vathek and Other Stories I just left some of his travel writing unread, as it all seemed to end up being much of a muchness, but the titular story and extract from Azemia were very good. Now onto Moscow Stations by Yerofeev, it's quite amusing so far.

[Edited by BlAcK_SwOrDsMaN]

"I cherish my thoughts and hold 'em exclusive, Confucius." - Ransom

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Yousef-

I’m now reminded I have to finish The Disaster Artist, I keep restarting it.

“One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.”
-Max Payne

58 days until Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster.

Donut Drake did nothing wrong.

FuriousMachine

Just finished The Door to December (Goodreads page) by Dean Koontz (under pen-name Richard Paige) as a part of my "return to King & Koontz" project. This one served as a rare disappointment, as my earlier forays into Koontz early work has been very enjoyable; this one felt just a bit too "samey" for me. By no means bad, it still garnered three and a half stars in my Goodreads review.

I've also started in on reading a physical book for the first time in a long, long while, and I intend to set aside a few hours every weekend to get through some of the physical tomes that have been gathering dust on my shelf, along with some comics TPBs I want to get to as well.
The first attempt ended literally in tears, as the book is extremely upsetting.
Terroristen fra Bærum - radikaliseringen av Philip Manshaus (The Terrorist from Bærum - the radicalization of Philip Manshaus) (Goodreads page) is a Norwegian non-fiction book from respected journalist Anders Hammer about a Norwegian 21 year old who killed his adopted younger sister and then attempted to shoot up a mosque, wanting to emulate the horrific Christchurch shootings and instigate a race war. Thankfully he failed and was apprehended before he could harm anyone else. I'm only a few chapters in, but they have been a harrowing description of his actions and the gut wrenching account of how the family slowly comes to realize that not only is it their son who's been apprehended for an attempted terrorist attack, but also that their daughter has been killed by the same disturbed young man.

On the digital front I'll be reading far lighter fare, as it is once again time to check in with detective Harry Bosch in Michael Connelly's The Black Box (Goodreads page)

[Edited by FuriousMachine]

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

I finished Butter, I enjoyed it quite a bit and want to look more into the Konkatsu killer that it was based on!

I have picked Wurthering Heights as my next read.

MightyDemon82

LN78

I'm reading "They All Love Jack:Busting The Ripper" - a mammoth tome (at 850 pages) concerning the definitely,100% for real this time identification of Victorian England's most notorious serial killer. I've read more than one or two of these spurious "Ripperology" books in the past (and this candidate for Jack is certainly one of the most outlandish that I've come across) but then the author here is none other than Bruce Robinson (writer/director of that all time classic of British cinema "Withnail & I") and the text is full to the brim with his eloquently profane,frequently hilarious musings - particularly when he becomes exasperated at the ineptitudes of the Victorian police force and the inequities of the 19th Century class system - which is pretty often. What's more is that he believes that he's cracked the case beyond a reasonable doubt in a conspiracy so convoluted that it would make Oliver Stone blush. Completely barmy and unexpectedly brilliant.

[Edited by LN78]

LN78

FuriousMachine

Just finished The Black Box (Goodreads page), a Harry Bosch novel from Michael Connelly. A good read with an interesting case, though it was far from the most interesting Bosch adventure I've read. I felt it was worth 3.5 stars in my Goodreads review.

Now I'm going to deep my toes into The Deep (Goodreads page), a horror novel from Nick Cutter that has been described as "The Shining" meets "The Abyss". Intriguing!

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

I finished Wurthering Heights, A lot different to what I thought it would be. Next up The Once and Future King by T.H. White. Always loved the King Arthur legends!

MightyDemon82

Kraven

I just started The Angel of Indian Lake, the third book in the horror novel trilogy by Stephen Graham Jones. It’s pretty good so far!

Kraven

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 I'm interested to hear what you think about "The Once and Future King" when you're done. I've always been fascinated by the Arthurian legends myself, but I've never found any good books on it. I wouldn't mind something akin to Neil Gaiman's "Norse Mythology", where he retells the old Norse legends for a modern audience. The books by White looks to be much the same for King Arthur & co, so hopefully they're good

FuriousMachine

MightyDemon82

@FuriousMachine I'll let you know my thoughts when I'm done with it. I need to read more Gaiman. I own the Sandman omnibuses and American Gods. other than that I've only seen the adaptations like Coraline!

MightyDemon82

FuriousMachine

@MightyDemon82 I'm not that versed in Gaiman's works myself. I have read the Sandman TPBs up to and including "Dream Country", which is, coincidentally, pretty much where season 1 of the fantastic Netflix show left off. So, I'm going to try to get and catch up on the rest before season 2 comes out.
Additionally, I've read "Norse Mythology" and "American Gods", both of which I really enjoyed, but it's been a while since I read AG, so I may consider a re-read on that. "Good Omens", which he wrote with Terry Pratchett, is one of my all time favourite books and is absolutely brilliant. Read it three or four times and will probably read it again
And that's pretty much it. Haven't read or seen "Coraline", which I really should, I think.

FuriousMachine

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic