Forums

Topic: Books You're Currently Reading?

Posts 101 to 120 of 893

Dichotomy

@Hego I read the first one ages ago, the second one is in my 'to read' pile which is only slightly smaller than my 'to play' pile. Currently I'm about a third of the way through the last book in the Iron Age trilogy by Angus Watson which has been a good read and a decent look into the Roman's through foreign eyes (while it is a fantasy book, a lot of the content about the Romans and Caesar is based on fact).

Dichotomy

Tasuki

@PLEXTOR08 If you are looking into fantasy I highly suggest the following

The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman
The Shanara Series by Terry Brooks (Start with First King of Shannara)

If you like Dracula I also highly suggest Covenant with the Vampire by Jeanne Kalogridis. It's basically a series that continues the story of Dracula and goes into more detail about his family.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Hego

Have to say this is one of my favourite threads on PS, great recommendations being thrown around!

Hego

PSN: Duke-of-Styria

clubber_lang78

Just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman which was terrific. Started A Congregation of Jackals by S. Craig Zahler. Same guy that wrote and directed the very good film, Bone Tomahawk. Highly recommend that or the last book by him I read, Wraiths of the Broken Land.

clubber_lang78

ApostateMage

I'm currently reading the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. It's set 5 years after Return Of The Jedi. Very good read.

ApostateMage

PLEXTOR08

@Tasuki
The Death gate cycle sounds like its right up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation.
Actually all of these series sound pretty great. Thanks guys

PLEXTOR08

Grey_Area

Dead Mans Steel (The Grim Company book 3) by Luke Scull.
just finished The Faithful and The Fallen Series by John Gwynne

Grey_Area

PSN: InterestingTimes

mookysam

@Rudy_Manchego I read Anno Dracula last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a little hard to get into at first but once I did I couldn't stop reading. I liked how it was an "alternate sequel" to Dracula and blended in real-life historical figures and events. I thought the characters were well fleshed out, especially Genevieve. I'm looking forward to reading the sequels. I fully recommend it!

I'm currently reading "The Concrete Blonde", which is the third book in the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. Currently on chapter 3. I loved the first and second books (and crime fiction in general), so want to get up to date with the series and eventually watch the Amazon programme. One thing I find with these types of book is that I often work out whodunnit before the perpetrators are revealed. In any case, the writing here is compelling with a great protagonist. The writer paints a grim picture of L.A's dark underbelly. One criticism is that there is some jargon and acronyms and I do find myself having to look up their meaning now and then. I also find romantic plots a little trite but there hasn't been any of that in this book... yet.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Rudy_Manchego

@mookysam Yeah I agree, it took me some time to get into it but as I got into the world, the characters began to take better shape and I liked the way it took rather one dimensional characters from Dracula and made them something more interesting.

Oddly enough, I have also read the Concrete Blonde and was my favourite Harry Bosch book (not read them all but I remember particularly enjoying that one). I have heard good things about the Amazon series.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

VRex7

I recently picked up Biocentrism: How Life and Consciousness are the Keys to Understanding the True Nature of the Universe. So far it has been really great and thought provoking. But, if I was going to recommend a book to read check out The Art of Happiness.

VRex7

WasabiPeanut

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. Just started so a bit early to comment but would recommend his other book Clockwork Bird Chronicles.

WasabiPeanut

Diymhoshei

I can't recommend the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson (and Ian C Esslemont) enough! My favourite series of books, they can be heavy going and his style of writing is not to everybody's taste but in my opinion these books are brilliant!

I'm currently reading Skull Throne, which is the 4th in his Demon Cycle series, by Peter V Brett and the 5th in the Monarchies of the Gods series by Paul Kearney. Both are very good but so far Skull Throne hasn't lived up to the quality of his previous books.

Edited on by Diymhoshei

Diymhoshei

PSN: Diymhoshei

Dichotomy

I've started reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series. On the first book and it seems a bit slow at the moment, but I'd heard that was the case and it picks up a lot after this - that's not to say it's bad, it just feels like an introduction rather than a book that can stand on its own. Anyone else read it, and if so how did you find it?

Dichotomy

Quintumply

I'm currently reading Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology and really enjoying it. The stories I've read so far are all pretty short but that has suited me quite well. I bought the book just before heading off on holiday, and the bite sized nature of the stories and legends was perfect for travelling. It also serves as a great way to increase my knowledge prior to Kratos' next adventure. I'm only around a fifth of the way through the book, but I can already tell the next God of War has an enormous amount of material to work with, and we should be in for some truly awesome moments.

Quintumply

PSN: Quintumply | Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

@Dichotomy I'm a big Dark Tower fan (warts and all) and have read all 8 books several times over the last ten years. I'd agree that part 1 is the hardest to get through in terms of writing. It was written when Stephen King was 19 and, though revised, the writing is a little stilted. Things pick up in the second volume onwards. There is a lot of weirdness to the books but the characters are pretty memorable. Plus if you like the books and want to read nothing but Stephen King books forever, you can read Insomnia, Salems Lot, Eyes of the Dragon, The STand, Hearts in Atlantis, BlackHouse and Everything's Eventual as they all relate to The Dark Tower books in some way.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

Dichotomy

@Rudy_Manchego I've read a chunk of King's other work and even from the first book I can tell it is his work as it has a lot of the theme and feel of his other works. Generally I stuck with his horror work, but after reading his Mr Mercedes trilogy (the first book in that trilogy is by far the best imo) I was willing to give something a little less based in his main style of horror a go. I have the first 3 books so I'll at least give it that long to truly grab me.

Dichotomy

Rudy_Manchego

@Dichotomy Cool - I like his horror books mainly - I read Mr. Mercedes but havent got to the second two books in the trilogy. I think the Dark Tower hits its stride with Book 3 so hopefully you'll be onboard by then.

ChasinTheTrane

I have the attention span of a goldfish on some days, so I'm switching between a few different books:

• Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday
  • Moby Dick by Herman Melville
  • At The Existentialist Cafe by Sarah Bakewell

I like them all so far. The only reason I'm able to even get through Moby Dick is with an edition with a tons of footnotes.

ChasinTheTrane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic