Forums

Topic: YUV 4:2:2 HDR

Posts 1 to 12 of 12

Mega-Gazz

I noticed that whenever I run a game that supports 120fps, it immediately loses HDR, despite the video output page in the settings saying the tv supports “120 Hz (YUV422)”. I also noticed that if I set the transfer rate to -1 (which is 4:2:2), the HDR also immediately goes off.

Is this a limitation of YUV422, or a ps5 limitation? Does anyone know?

Bottom line, 120fps seems to mean no HDR, which makes me sad.

Mega-Gazz

Mega-Gazz

@God_of_Nowt don’t mean to lean on you so much but any chance you can shed light on this one? I was really hyped about 120fps games, but if it means no HDR, that may change my mind

Mega-Gazz

SJBUK

What TV and HDMI cable are you using? I might be wrong but I think you need HDMI 2.1 TV and cables to support 4K HDR @ 120Hz.

SJBUK

Mega-Gazz

@SJBUK Have an HDMI 2.1 cable connected directly from my PS5 to input 4 of my Samsung Q80T.

Mega-Gazz

SJBUK

Hmm, I don't have a Q80T so don't know. A quick Google seems to indicate you need to use HDMI 4 and maybe Game mode?

SJBUK

Mega-Gazz

@SJBUK yea, I did lots of googling . I’m using game mode (and tried PC) and HDMI 4. I don’t think its the TV or the cable.

Mega-Gazz

Mega-Gazz

SJBUK wrote:

Oh, don't know if you've seen this, might help? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4sQph15pi8 (PS5 4K 120hz Settings and Calibration for Samsung QLED TV Q90T, Q80T, Q800T, Q850T, Q900T)

You can see at the end of the video he’s got 120hz but HDR is off - both the TV info and the PS5 are not reporting HDR, and you can see that it is really off in the picture, even the system menu its obvious.

Mega-Gazz

Mega-Gazz

It has to be a ps5 bug, since at -2 transfer rate (420 chroma) the HDR turns back on. At -1 it is off. Just on the menus I mean, even in HDTVTests’ videos.

Still, for now 120fps means no HDR I guess. Hopefully an OS patch will fix it.

Mega-Gazz

Mega-Gazz

Yea I read this. I think it’s actually ps5 that has the issue not Samsung - iirc Sony TVs have the same issue.

Mega-Gazz

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.