Forums

Topic: Demon Souls Remastered. Is it, isn't it?

Posts 621 to 640 of 793

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution to add to that, I think it comes down to the ability of the player to manually aim the bow as opposed to spells, which I believe have to be locked-on.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Yeah, the only way to consistently land the spells appears to be through lock on. I’ve been able to hit enemies, usually pretty close up, without lock on but otherwise it is a hinderance. So depending on the enemy’s aggro radius, I sometimes have to get in close enough to initiate an attack from them before I can cast. The one scenario I’ve had where I can just point and shoot in the general direction without lock on has been at the hanging bodies in 3-1 when they hold a pick-up that you need to shoot them down to collect.

I do think I might try to carry and use a bow now, just for the option. The problem is that I think I’ll have to waste a couple points into dexterity and strength, so I’m not sure I want to do that. I’ll have to look at the different bows I’ve picked up.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution from memory, the Sticky White Bow and Lava Bow were the best… the former for a dex build and the latter for a strength.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@EclipseZero @colonelkilgore Is there a bow that’s best for just a minimalist approach where I have low strength and low dexterity? I want to keep my magic build going, but want the option to peck away at something far off in the distance if I can.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@EclipseZero Thanks for the link. I’ve been using Fextralife, but this is another good resource.
It looks like I’m out of luck with the lava bow though — I’ve already used my Hard Demon’s Soul to learn Fire Spray spell. It appears it’s one of the few Demon Souls that has an either/or option where it can only be used for either a weapon or for magic. Ah well, it’s okay, since Fire Spray made short work of Leechmonger.

Another question — is there any penalty for breaking up the armor sets and wearing a mixture of pieces? Or better said, is there a bonus to wearing a full “set” of all the same armor? I’ve been mixing things up to maximize the stats I think I need and to keep my equip weight down. I assume it’s okay to do that.

Th3solution

@EclipseZero I took a peek at some build recommendations on Wiki dot and there is a lot there. I’m still early enough that it’s not a huge deal, but I need to look into some of those to compare to the build I am following from Fextralife.

And thanks for the armor recs. I’m definitely trying to keep the dodge roll quick rather than the slow roll with over 50% equip burden. I have the Warding Spell now, which is nice as a substitute for armor, but it is quite “expensive” MP-wise, and only lasts for a minute or so. Still, it’s amazing how many more hits I can take when I have it cast.

kyleforrester87

Huh I thought anything below 70% equip burden was fine. Maybe it gets even faster below 50%? (or is it 30%?)

Do people actually play with equip burden over 70% though?

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

kyleforrester87

So is it 30 or 50? Perhaps it’s different on different games? I’m playing DS2 at the mo, I’ll give it a go tonight. It did seem quicker naked to be fair when I tried a while ago.

Still I have no idea who is playing at over 70% 🙈

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

I often play video games with just my pants on. When it starts getting colder I put some socks on.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Gremio108

Right I've only got the fifth archstone to do now, along with the final section of the first archstone, which I'm saving til last (I tried it a while back and got slaughtered).

I haven't even stepped into the final archstone yet and I don't remember it at all so that will be like playing a new Souls game, although I'm sure bells will start ringing once I'm in there.

The dex build is finally paying off and I'm carving through everything in my path. Except those skeletons along that cliffside path. I kept falling off.

@JohnnyShoulder I remove an item of clothing for every boss I defeat

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 If you equip the Thief Ring that section is much easier as the Manta Ray things won't spam you and you can dictate when the skeletons, if you can hit them at range.

Interesting approach, if you beat a few bosses after each other your equip load will be really low.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@Gremio108 Nice work, fellow soulsnatcher. I ran into some delays this week and even this weekend has been rough finding time. So I’m at 2-2 is all, but hopefully at least dust it off today and move onto 2-3. Still enjoying the game a lot but this level is pretty complex with all the tunnels and caves.

Are you thinking about NG+ and the platinum yet? It seems like quite an undertaking with all the world tendency mumbo-jumbo that has to be done.

Gremio108

@Th3solution Good work. I was doing world 3 the other night and was having a tricky time with it. Got through it eventually.

I'm thinking the platinum is on. I had a look at a trophy guide and it would seem I've missed a few things, but I can hopefully get them in NG+. I think the world tendency stuff is manageable. There are only a couple of things you need for the platinum from the pure white worlds, so just make sure you're never in body form in a particular world until you've got what you need, and play offline when you're wandering around in the pure white version of the world, because being killed by an invader cocks your world tendency right up.

Pure black can pretty much be achieved whenever you need it, by popping a few stones of ephemeral eyes and throwing yourself to your doom a few times. Again, you don't actually need to get every world to pure black for the platinum.

Character tendency is the one I'm not sure about, but I'm guessing you can get pure black tendency by just offing a few friendly NPCs. Not sure about white.

The other thing to keep track of for the plat is the whole thing about using the boss souls for certain weapons and/or spells. I've not spent any boss souls yet, so I'll grab some at the end of the game and hopefully pick up the rest in NG+.

@JohnnyShoulder Oh I was talking about taking clothes off in real life (although I was only joking of course. Until the warmer weather anyway)

Also I'll remember the Thief's Ring tip for NG+. Wish I'd known that one....

Edited on by Gremio108

Th3solution

So I really struggled with Flamelurcher. He was just too quick and my magic spells were a little slow to execute before he’d be on top of me. And with my thin build defensively, it was hard to take more than a couple hits.

In the end, I did a little cheesing with the poison cloud spell. I reckon if the game uses every tricky tactic against me, I’ll use all at my disposal against it. It was still satisfying outsmarting the AI and it still took skill getting the positioning right.

Edited on by Th3solution

render

@Th3solution That was one of my favourite bosses of the game even though I did die a few times trying to defeat it. It felt like it gave you a fair chance to read its attacks and it was just about being perfect with the dodges. I'd got the Crescent Falchion by the time I took on Flamelurcher which I think worked well as it had high magic damage.

I'm going to have to get back to playing this again soon while I still remember how

render

Gremio108

@Th3solution Flamelurker is a d***, and there's only one language people like that understand. Fighting dirty.

Because of my Dex build I had to get up close and personal with him. He's the boss I'm fearing most in NG+

Th3solution

@velio84 I can definitely see how if a person is good at the core Souls-like gameplay skills that they could handle Flamelurker without too much trouble, but it’s just I’m not that skilled. There is plenty of room in the arena to dodge, just so that you’re aware of your surroundings, and he does telegraph his moves to an extent.

I tried him straight up for a few times, and I could get him down to about 1/4 health, but I was burning through grass and spice, and toward the end he gets really aggressive. I’m sure if I kept going another 10 tries then I maybe could have done it without cheesing, but like you said, I also died a few times on that crazy drop down shortcut. Missed a few ledges and fell to my doom more times that I would have liked. So I saw a video where you can trap his AI with a little trickery and so I figured ‘what the heck, I’ll try this’ and it wasn’t easy to lure him but once I did he was paralyzed and just poisoned him until he was soft enough to finish him off with a few standard attacks.

Edit: and like I say, my justification is that the game will often take advantage of quirks in the scenery to its advantage by being cheap against the player (the drop down shortcut being an example) so ‘all’s fair in love and war’ as far as I’m concerned.
I remember there was one boss in Bloodborne that I beat by utilizing the glitch where you can hit through a piece of the scenery, and since the enemies was hitting me behind cover, I figured I should be able to do it to them 😅

Edited on by Th3solution

Th3solution

@velio84 Sometimes I think they patch out a cheese method, and I’ve seen videos of things that don’t work when I try them. And it’s definitely true that you can’t expect to cheese the entire game.

In a way, Returnal is similar, in that some of the settings I just had to take advantage of cover or some nuance that I know the game didn’t intend for me to be using. Yet, the majority of my playthrough came down to knowing and using basic fundamentals of the combat.

But you’re right — sometimes a cheese method is actually harder to deploy than just taking down the enemy straight-up. So I only go for the cheese when it makes sense. 😄

Th3solution

Finally took down Dragon God.

One of the easiest bosses if you know what to do, but really frustrating when your don’t!

Died like 10 times since he can one hit kill me with my paper thin armor set.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic