PS5 First-Party 1

Sony has confirmed in a Business Segment Meeting that PlayStation Studios is now planning on releasing "two or more major" PS5 titles every year from now on. These games will come from a mixture of established franchises and new IP, and they'll be a mixture of single player experiences as well as live service efforts. Sony wants to cover "every major genre", but it highlights shooters, racing games, RPGs, platformers, action titles, and sports in particular.

In addition, the company plans to further expand onto other platforms to "grow audiences", with recent examples being its initiatives on PC and smartphones. In the presentation, Sony highlights the two platforms alongside music, books, its PlayStation Productions pipeline, and even theme parks. Most recently, Nintendo is seeing success with its Super Nintendo World park areas in Japan and the USA, and now an Uncharted rollercoaster is opening at PortAventura World in Spain. For Sony, this is all about "driving audience growth and diversity" and "leveraging Sony synergy to unlock new audience growth".

PlayStation Studios lead Hermen Hulst confirmed Sony has 12 live-service titles in the works as part of the presentation, and in fiscal year 2025, the model will make up 60 per cent of the PS5 business model. The remaining 40 per cent will be made up of Sony's "traditional" single player experiences. Guerrilla Games, Haven Studio, and Firewalk Studios are highlighted as developers working on a Game as a Service.

Depending on whether Sony counts Horizon Call of the Mountain as one of its two big PS5 exclusives for 2023, then it may have another significant title to complement Marvel's Spider-Man 2 this year — if it can follow up on this promise. Previous years during the PS5 generation have proven it can; last year saw Horizon Forbidden West, The Last of Us: Part I, and God of War Ragnarok all hit. Before that in 2021 was Returnal and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

With Death Stranding 2 and Marvel's Wolverine the only other two PS5 exclusives announced alongside Peter Parker's second outing, today's PlayStation Showcase is expected to reveal a lot more of what Sony has planned for the coming years.