Developer Techland has announced Dying Light 2's Update 1.4.0 will be just the first part of a planned five years worth of free content for players, which means the title will be supported into the incredibly futuristic-sounding year 2027.
Update 1.4.0 is now live, and it brings with it many quality-of-life changes, bug fixes, and technical enhancements. The big-ticket items, however, are as follows:
- Chapter Agent — meet Harper, a former Nightrunner that acts as your link to the new features. Find him at the Fish Eye Canteen and assist him in taking down the Infected.
- New Rank System — discover a system that strengthens the bond between you and the agent by carrying out his tasks.
- Daily and Weekly Bounties — face the Infected head-on in a series of daily and weekly night activities that will earn you reputation points upon completion.
- Unlockables — with enough reputation points, you can rank up to unlock access to high-end weapons, outfits, and consumables.
- 2 New Currencies — to purchase these new items, you will first need to collect mutation samples off of the corpses of the Special Infected and acquire unique Harper’s Tokens with each new rank.
- New Enemies — meet the deadly and fierce Mutated Infected, the Volatile Tyrant, and the Volatile Hive.
- Chapter Mission — in this mission, you will have to endure time trials that will test your stealth, parkour, and combat skills to the limit.
Dying Light 2 has sold quite well since its launch, and we thought it was a good sequel that was ultimately hurt by expectations. The first piece of major paid DLC for the game has been delayed until September, so it's cool that Techland is providing such meaty free updates in the meantime.
Did Dying Light 2 live up to your expectations? Are you planning on checking back in with the game after this latest patch? Stay human in the comments section below.