The latest PlayStation 5 firmware update, which has been available for beta testers for quite some time now, will be available for everyone to download from tomorrow. The system patch includes support for the M.2 SSD storage slot, meaning you'll now be able to download and play more PS5 games and run them off an internal SSD. Other highlights include updates and tweaks to the PS5 UI, new Accolade types, a Trophy tracker, and 3D Audio support for built-in speakers.
As per the PlayStation Blog, here are all the patch notes for the new PS5 firmware update:
PS5 UX Enhancements
- Control Center customization. Players can now customize their Control Center more freely by rearranging or choosing which controls to hide or unhide at the bottom of the screen.
- Enhanced Game Base. Players can now easily view and write messages to friends and Parties directly from Game Base in the Control Center.
- Game Library and Home Screen updates. If you have PS4 and PS5 versions of the same game installed, they’ll now appear separately in the “Installed” tab of the Game Library and on the Home screen. Each game’s tile now also clearly indicates its platform.
- Screen Reader controls. Players can now pause or resume Screen Reader (Press “PS + Triangle buttons”) and have it repeat anything it reads (Press “PS + R1 buttons”).
New Gaming and Social Experience Customizations
- PlayStation Now resolution selector and connection test tool. PlayStation Now subscribers can choose between 720p or 1080p (depending on individual game) to accommodate their preferred video resolution for game streaming. A streaming connection test also helps them identify and troubleshoot any problems with their connection.
- New Accolade Type: “Leader.” Following an online match, players can award others with a fourth accolade type, “Leader,” which is visible on players’ profiles.
- Automatic capture of “personal best” videos. When players compete in challenges for a better time or a higher score and set a new personal best, a video clip of the action will automatically be recorded. Players can also share clips of their personal bests directly from the challenge card in the Control Center, or from their Media Gallery. Players have direct control over this functionality via their Captures and Broadcast settings.
- New Trophy tracker. We’ve added a new Trophy Tracker that lets players quickly access up to five trophies per game through the Control Center.
As for pumping 3D Audio through your TV speakers, "this feature transforms standard two-channel TV speaker audio into three-dimensional sound, heightening the sense of gameplay immersion. Players can measure the acoustics of their room using the microphone on their DualSense wireless controller to apply the 3D audio setting that’s optimized for their room."
If you need help learning How to Install an Internal SSD and Expand Your Storage, click through the link. Alternatively, here are the Best PS5 SSD: Compatible M.2 SSD Storage Expansion for PS5. We'll issue a new article once the update is actually live tomorrow.