Bandai Namco hinted that it would be adjusting the core mechanics of Dragon Ball FighterZ with the game's first season 2 update, and that's exactly what the patch notes suggest. Alterations have been made across the board, in some cases changing how the anime-based brawler will be played at higher levels.
To start with, health recovery has been cut down, meaning that you're generally going to take more permanent damage from most attacks. This seems to be one way in which the developer is attempting to make matches shorter. Sparking! has also received several buffs, supposedly making it a more potent comeback tool than ever.
You can find the full patch notes below:
HEALTH RECOVERY UPON TAKING DAMAGE:
- Reduce the amount of recoverable health when damaged. (Excluding invincible moves)
- Decrease the amount of Ki Gauge gained when receiving damage from Super Attacks and Meteor Attacks, and increase the amount of Ki Gauge gained when receiving damage from other attacks.
- For a short period of time after using the Ki Gauge, the overall amount of Ki Gauge gained is now reduced.
MID-AIR SMASH ATTACK:
- When the condition for a camera change is met, the camera effect will occur regardless of the height of the character’s position now.
INVINCIBLE SPECIAL MOVES:
- Z Assist and Ultimate Z Change will now be unusable during Invincible Special Moves aside from when it hits.
POWERED-UP SPECIAL MOVE:
- Reduce the amount of Recoverable Health when receiving damage from Power-up Special Moves. (Excluding invincible moves)
- Reduce the amount of damage dealt when a move other than Ultimate Z Change connects after a Super Attack hits.
- It is now easier to successfully connect Ultimate Z Change after Super Attacks.
ALL METEOR ATTACKS:
- Increased the minimum damage of all Meteor Attacks.
- Sparking! can now be used while blocking. (Includes blocking in mid-air)
- While Sparking! is active, reduce the amount of recoverable health of the opponent when damage is dealt to them. (Excluding invincible moves)
- Increased the start up frames of Sparking! aside from when cancelled from an attack.
- Camera change is easier to occur when cancelled from an attack.
- You will be invincible to the opponent’s Sparking! activation after a successful Z-Reflect against an opponent’s attack.
ALL THROW MOVES, DRAGON RUSH:
- Specific throw moves and Dragon Rush cannot connect more than once within a combo.
- Decreased the amount of Ki gauge gained and damage dealt.
- After a Dragon Rush during mid-combo, camera change will not occur for subsequent hits.
MID-AIR DRAGON RUSH:
- The opponent will ground slide after a mid-air Dragon Rush during a combo.
GUARD CANCEL CHANGE:
- Invincible state will now last until coming into contact or in close vicinity with the opponent.
- Increased the recovery frames and landing recovery frames when blocked.
- Increase the distance travelled.
SHENRON (REVIVE ALLIES):
- Increased the health of the revived ally.
SHENRON (MAKE ME IMMORTAL):
- Increased the health recovery rate.
- Reduced the collision from mid-air opponent.
DELAYED GROUND RECOVERY:
- Until completely down, you will now be able to perform the different ground recovery options.
- Vanish Move will also trigger Dramatic Finish now.
The update is available to download now on PlayStation 4, but will you be practising your combos? Charge your ki in the comments section below.