Resident Evil 7's upgrade system is, quite frankly, genius. In order to maintain consistency with the grounded nature of the campaign, Capcom has done away with Australian accented merchants and complicated mission complete screens. Instead, it's incorporated Antique Coins: collectibles located around the Baker plantation which can be slotted into bird cages in order to unlock stat boosting items and bonus weapons.
How many Antique Coins are there to collect in Resident Evil 7?
There are 18 Antique Coins to collect on Easy and Normal difficulty and 33 Antique Coins to collect on Madhouse difficulty. This guide will focus on the initial 18 Antique Coins for now.
What does the Dirty Coin from Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour do?
As you've probably already guessed, the Dirty Coin unlocked by playing the Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour demo essentially functions as a bonus Antique Coin. If you do choose to carry your progress into the main game, then you'll start out with one extra Antique Coin.
Where can you spend Antique Coins in Resident Evil 7?
You'll find bird cages in two locations in Resident Evil 7 on Easy and Normal difficulty: in the trailer (shortly before the Old House) and in the safe house near to the Swamp. There are more bird cages to find on Madhouse difficulty.
What can you buy with Antique Coins in Resident Evil 7?
There are three items that you can purchase from bird cages on Easy and Normal difficulty. They are:
- 3 Coins: Steroids (increases maximum health)
- 5 Coins: Stabilizer (increases reload speed)
- 9 Coins: 44 MAG
Where to find all 18 Antique Coins in Resident Evil 7
These are the locations of all 18 Antique Coins in Resident Evil 7. Upon collecting all of these, you'll unlock the 'Pelicans in Your Pocket' Trophy. Beware, there may be some small location spoilers beyond.
- Guest House 1F, Kitchen: Arguably the coolest Antique Coin to collect in Resident Evil 7 is the very first one. Load up the Derelict House Footage VHS tape and as soon as you gain control take a few steps back and look down. You'll pick up a lockpick. Go into the kitchen on the first floor of guest house and unlock the drawer in the cabinet to your right. When you re-assume control of Ethan, you'll be able to open this drawer, and you'll find an Antique Coin inside.
- Main House 1F, Hatch: After you get the key to open the hatch, enter the crawlspace and you'll spot a red lawnmower off to the left. The Antique Coin is nestled upon it.
- Main House 1F, Main Hall: It's in the top drawer in the North East corner. Check the upper-left corner of your map – it's to the side of the sofa and the dog door.
- Main House 2F, Recreation Room: On the map, go to the upper-right corner of the Recreation Room. The Antique Coin is beyond the pool table, next to the locked door. There's also a Mr. Everywhere nearby, which you should be able to hear.
- Main House 2F, Bathroom: We dare you to look inside the toilet.
- Main House 1F, Briefing Room: This is in the room with the whiteboard on the table with the locked toolbox. You'll find the Antique Coin in the ashtray.
- Main House B1, Processing Room: You'll see a wooden palette leaning against the wall in this room. Look behind it to find an Antique Coin perched on the wall.
- Yard: Go right immediately after exiting the house and find an Antique Coin in the plant pot on the ground.
- Yard, Trailer: Pretty unmissable, this one. You'll find it on the table in the trailer just in front of the 44 MAG bird cage.
- Old House 1F, Cellar: Just beyond the cellar room, you'll find this Antique Coin on a wheeled serving trolley.
- Old House 1F, Outhouse: In the North Eastern outhouse where you find the Crow Key, you'll happen upon a toilet. The Antique Coin is perched upon the basin.
- Old House 2F, Altar: In the room where you need the lantern, you'll find a set of drawers. The Antique Coin is in the top one.
- Testing Area 1F: Clear out all of the tripmines and then enter the Western most room before the barn. You'll find this Antique Coin in the drawer of a green desk; be careful, though, because the room is booby trapped.
- Testing Area 2F: After the fight with the bloated molded, you'll take a lift to the Testing Area's second floor. Before you drop the stairs to get back down to the first floor, however, look on the shelves for an Antique Coin.
- Wrecked Ship 1F, Vent: After the flashback involving the workers, drop into the vent and take the first right. It's a dead end, but there's an Antique Coin nearby.
- Wrecked Ship 1F: Minutes later you'll reach a point where you drop into a pool of water and need to climb a ladder to get back to dry land. Look to the left of the ladder in the dirty water to find another Antique Coin.
- Wrecked Ship 3F, Control Room: The Antique Coin's in a locked red toolbox. You'll need a lockpick to open it, which you can find by examining and opening a box on the second floor after climbing a ladder near to the bunk rooms.
- Wrecked Ship S2: This Antique Coin is in a container on the wall between the two engine rooms. You'll need to use a corrosive to get it open.