Analyst Anita Frazier explained, "the bulk of the decline can be attributed to the shift of the annual Madden release from August to September".
Gaming hardware actually saw an increase from the month of July, thanks in part to the price-cut of the PS3. The top-selling game for the month was Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which was only on store shelves for five days as per the measure of the report. The group expects Square Enix's action RPG to be toppled by Madden next month.
Hit the jump for the full software top ten.
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360, PS3, PC)
- NCAA Football 12 (360, PS3)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)
- Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd (NDS, Wii, PS3)
- Cars 2 (NDS, Wii, 360, PS3, PC)
- Just Dance Summer Party (Wii)
- Just Dance 2 (Wii)
- Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC)
- The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
- Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3)