After all, would I prefer Grand Theft Auto IV DLC exclusivity for 12 months, or a whole new Wipeout game? The $50million Microsoft paid for that GTA DLC is probably in a similar ball-park to what would be spent on a mid-large PSN release (perhaps less) and thus, absolutely I'd take the latter. But when it comes to franchises such as Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy, I do wonder why Sony are letting Microsoft bully them.
Take Final Fantasy XIII for example. The game's getting a huge push on the XBOX 360 right now. An exclusive bundle, some avatar content, so on and so forth. Is Final Fantasy XIII on 360 going to outsell the PS3 version? Of course it's not, not in this world. But Microsoft are making people aware the game's coming to XBOX 360. They know what a draw the Final Fantasy franchise has been to the Playstation in the past, and I'd imagine their sole aim is to match that.
The same is apparent for Metal Gear Solid. The way Microsoft handled the announcement of Metal Gear Rising at last year's E3 was almost smug. "Now we finally have Metal Gear Solid coming to the XBOX 360." I'd imagine Microsoft will push the game on their platform in a similar fashion.
My question is: why are Sony letting them?
When it comes to Final Fantasy, GTA and Metal Gear Solid, the games were always due to go multiplatform. Honestly, for franchises as big as these, it doesn't make sense to focus on a single-platform. But this is where Sony should be using their connection, and historical affiliation with the franchises to bury the Microsoft version. The Japanese Final Fantasy XIII PS3 bundle should be coming to the West. Sony should have announced Metal Gear Rising, not Microsoft. Sure the press-release would list the XBOX 360 version, but Sony should be burying these connections. These are inherently historical Playstation titles, and yet Sony are letting Microsoft tell everyone about the XBOX versions. Why?
One can only imagine dollar signs are involved, but when it comes to the marketing of inherently Playstation products, I just can't understand why Sony aren't spending some of their money here. Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid and, to a lesser extent, Grand Theft Auto are historically Playstation-related franchises. Why not remind people of that?
Twiggy is an anonymous PushSquare columnist who has been spotted in three major cities across the globe. Its rumoured hes on the run from the British monarchy who accused him of treason.
Previous entries in the Twiggy range:
- The Mass Effect Franchise Has To Come To PS3 At Some Point Twiggy The PushSquare Opinionator
- MAG Is The Most Enjoyable Online Shooter Ive Played In A Long Time
- Playstation Motion Controller Delay: The Good & The Bad
- Is 3D The Future Of Playstation 3 Or A Nice Little Extra?
- Co-Op Is Definitely The Future Of Online Multiplayer
- Playstation Network Premium Could Be Amazing If
- Whats The Obsession With Cross-Platform Comparison?
- Guess What Playstation Games Im Playing This Christmas
- So, At What Point Do The Games Delayed From Q4 09 Get Pushed Out Of Q1 10?
- Valve Should Really Shut Their Mouth
- Why You Should Be Playing Siren: Blood Curse This Halloween
- Could Eye Pet Expand The Playstation 3s Audience?
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Puts A Number Of Hollywood Movies To Shame
- Why Is Everyone So Angry About The PSPgo?
- Playstation 3 Provides More Diversity Than Any Other System Available
- This Is How You Make The Playstation Motion Controller A Success
- The Playstation 3 Is Everywhere These Days, Somethings Changed
- Playing PSone Classics On The PSP Is The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread
- Sony Must Be Feeling Bullish After An Excellent GamesCom
- Ill Rue The Day The Singleplayer Dies
- Please Stop Extending Your Games With Annoying Treasure Hunts
- The Scope Of DLC Is Changing
- Why Do People Promote A Single System Future?
- The Digital Download vs. The Peripheral, Is The Video Game Industry Moving In Separate Directions?
- The Ideas Presented In Mirrors Edge & Red Faction Guerrilla Will End Up Everywhere
- The Importance Of Exposure Against An E3 Splash: Which Is More Important?
- Sonys Wand Technology Sent Out A Fierce Message To Competitors Hours After They Comfortably Assumed Victory
- Sonys First, Second & Third Party Alliances Will Ensure A Thrilling E3 2009 Showcase
- Playstation 3 Is Platformed Out With Bionic Commando & inFamous This Week, And It Reminds Me How Much I Love Super Mario 64
- In A Year Dominated By Blockbuster Sequels, Quantic Dreams Heavy Rain Vision Could Be The Diamond In The Rough
- Heres What Id Request In The PSP Go! If I Had A Job At Sony & A Say In Such Things
- Does The Playstation 3 Need Motion-Control & How Will Sony Apply It?
- Why Did Guerillas Killzone 2 Force Me To Kill The More Interesting Good Guys? I Hate The ISA!
- Sonys E3 2009 Press Conference Could Be The Biggest In History & A Turning Point In Software Perception
- A Playstation 3 Pricecut Could Cripple Sony So Stop Asking For It