Naturally this brought up a whole host of rumours that Bioware had a PS3 version of the game running somewhere, and it was only a matter of time before one of the year's highest rated games hit Sony's machine. Bioware were quick to dispell the myths, reiterating the game as "PC and XBOX 360 only." Does it really make sense for the franchise to stay that way though?
Whether or not Mass Effect or its sequel comes to the Playstation 3 at this point is irrelevent in my eyes. I still pertain that a blu-ray double-pack will launch for $60, featuring both iterations of the Mass Effect universe. But it's a debated point at the moment. Some people argue a Mass Effect "spin-off" title will come to the Playstation 3. I'm not sure I agree with that debate, but I do firmly believe that Mass Effect will come to the Playstation 3 in some form. And this year too.
If you look at the way EA marketed Mass Effect 2, their campaign oozed support for the franchise. Make no denial, EA want this franchise to be a mega-hit. Why would they deny a further million copies of their game going out to a new market in the interest of console exclusivity?
Sure, some people make the argument that Microsoft may have paid for exclusivity. After all, they published the first Mass Effect title. But EA own the IP, and thus, while I'm unaware of the specifics of the contract, I'd imagine EA are free to do with the franchise as they wish. EA accepting a back-hander to keep console exclusivity just doesn't make sense to me.
Perhaps Microsoft could match the potential profits generated from a PS3 version of the game to keep Sony from releasing it. But think of what comes with a game release: magazine covers, adverts, promotions, hype, speculation. All of these things Microsoft's money can't buy, and they'd all be generated by a PS3 release of the Mass Effect franchise. Not only that, Microsoft's money can't buy expanded awareness and a deeper fanbase. If one million people bought Mass Effect on the PS3, that's presumably another one million to hook into the fiction and to market Mass Effect 3 at. It makes Mass Effect a bigger franchise. More sales of the books, action figures, and paraphernalia. Why deny that?
And that's why I think the game absolutely has to come to the Playstation 3 at some point. At this point, we can speculate in what form until the cows call home. We're not going to hit the money until an announcement. But you know what, I bet you the Mass Effect franchise comes to Playstation 3 this year.
Set your bookmarks to this page if you want to prove me wrong, but you're not going to.
Twiggy is an anonymous PushSquare columnist who has been spotted in three major cities across the globe. Its rumoured hes on the run from the British monarchy who accused him of treason.
Previous entries in the Twiggy range:
- MAG Is The Most Enjoyable Online Shooter Ive Played In A Long Time
- Playstation Motion Controller Delay: The Good & The Bad
- Is 3D The Future Of Playstation 3 Or A Nice Little Extra?
- Co-Op Is Definitely The Future Of Online Multiplayer
- Playstation Network Premium Could Be Amazing If
- Whats The Obsession With Cross-Platform Comparison?
- Guess What Playstation Games Im Playing This Christmas
- So, At What Point Do The Games Delayed From Q4 09 Get Pushed Out Of Q1 10?
- Valve Should Really Shut Their Mouth
- Why You Should Be Playing Siren: Blood Curse This Halloween
- Could Eye Pet Expand The Playstation 3s Audience?
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Puts A Number Of Hollywood Movies To Shame
- Why Is Everyone So Angry About The PSPgo?
- Playstation 3 Provides More Diversity Than Any Other System Available
- This Is How You Make The Playstation Motion Controller A Success
- The Playstation 3 Is Everywhere These Days, Somethings Changed
- Playing PSone Classics On The PSP Is The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread
- Sony Must Be Feeling Bullish After An Excellent GamesCom
- Ill Rue The Day The Singleplayer Dies
- Please Stop Extending Your Games With Annoying Treasure Hunts
- The Scope Of DLC Is Changing
- Why Do People Promote A Single System Future?
- The Digital Download vs. The Peripheral, Is The Video Game Industry Moving In Separate Directions?
- The Ideas Presented In Mirrors Edge & Red Faction Guerrilla Will End Up Everywhere
- The Importance Of Exposure Against An E3 Splash: Which Is More Important?
- Sonys Wand Technology Sent Out A Fierce Message To Competitors Hours After They Comfortably Assumed Victory
- Sonys First, Second & Third Party Alliances Will Ensure A Thrilling E3 2009 Showcase
- Playstation 3 Is Platformed Out With Bionic Commando & inFamous This Week, And It Reminds Me How Much I Love Super Mario 64
- In A Year Dominated By Blockbuster Sequels, Quantic Dreams Heavy Rain Vision Could Be The Diamond In The Rough
- Heres What Id Request In The PSP Go! If I Had A Job At Sony & A Say In Such Things
- Does The Playstation 3 Need Motion-Control & How Will Sony Apply It?
- Why Did Guerillas Killzone 2 Force Me To Kill The More Interesting Good Guys? I Hate The ISA!
- Sonys E3 2009 Press Conference Could Be The Biggest In History & A Turning Point In Software Perception
- A Playstation 3 Pricecut Could Cripple Sony So Stop Asking For It