Now, I'm not a tech guy, so I don't really want to get bogged down with semantics and core-duo processing, but what I'd like to talk about in today's opinionator is the effect 3D may have on the Playstation 3s hardware. As PushSquare readers will know, Sony have vouched a firmware update applicable to Playstation 3 titles and blu-ray movies that will upgrade the experience into the third-dimension. But does anyone really care?
Playstation 3 already has a steady technology edge on its competition. With Motion Control on the cards, and superior graphics, blu-ray and built-in wi-fi; Sony has always touted the value-added approach with their system. And it seems that's unlikely to change with the implementation of 3D; another check on the back of the PS3s box that Sony's competitors don't have.
The question is; how much does it matter? Against other demanded firmware features such as cross-game chat and more detailed trophy tracking, do any particular Sony faithfuls find themselves longing for 3D functionality over all else?
Sony would argue the importance of 3D, but how much of the firmware implementation is to drive TV sales? With HDTV adoption rate only just steadily increasing, are we to accept a new line of technology this early, and is 3D essential?
The problem lies with the peripheral. Glasses. Suddenly a co-operative experience becomes very solitary. Playing video games is often an experience shared on the couch, with others hunched around, either playing along or watching the action unfold. With 3D, does that experience disappear? Sure, one can buy multiple sets of glasses but, what if a friend of a friend turns up? What if the glasses aren't charged? Suddenly, the technology sounds like a hassle - which is the last thing anyone wants from the entertainment devices. Complaints, complaints, and problems. 3D is clearly in its infancy and no-one truly knows the best way to approach marketing it. Yet, it's still headed to Playstation 3, and no-less, it's coming this year.
So is it an unnecessary addition? I'm torn. Despite my concerns with the tech, Sony are going to give it to me for free. They're going to stick it in my system and I never even have to touch it. To me, that's awesome. I might not buy a 3D compatible television for years, but knowing the technology is ready and waiting for me, alleviates many of my complaints in general. Maybe, one day, this tech will hit the mainstream and we'll all come around. It doesn't matter either way, because your Playstation 3 supports it.
And that's kinda how I feel about a lot of functionality on the PS3. There's Playstation Home. I don't use it but, hey, awesome. If I want to, I can. There's the photo gallery. There's the video store. Playstation 3 is rammed with neat little features that might just make you take your system beyond the games. It doesn't matter if they're not for everyone, it matters that the Playstation 3 can do the things you want it to. Sure 3D might be some way of mainstream acceptance, but hey, your Playstation 3's going to do it. Ignore it if you don't care. Buy into it if you're an early adopter and want to show off.
The feature's unlikely to shift PS3s. But it's sure as hell likely to please someone, no matter how niche.
Twiggy is an anonymous PushSquare columnist who has been spotted in three major cities across the globe. Its rumoured hes on the run from the British monarchy who accused him of treason.
Previous entries in the Twiggy range:
- Co-Op Is Definitely The Future Of Online Multiplayer Twiggy The PushSquare Opinionator
- Playstation Network Premium Could Be Amazing If Twiggy The PushSquare Opinionator
- Whats The Obsession With Cross-Platform Comparison?
- Guess What Playstation Games Im Playing This Christmas
- So, At What Point Do The Games Delayed From Q4 09 Get Pushed Out Of Q1 10?
- Valve Should Really Shut Their Mouth
- Why You Should Be Playing Siren: Blood Curse This Halloween
- Could Eye Pet Expand The Playstation 3s Audience?
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Puts A Number Of Hollywood Movies To Shame
- Why Is Everyone So Angry About The PSPgo?
- Playstation 3 Provides More Diversity Than Any Other System Available
- This Is How You Make The Playstation Motion Controller A Success
- The Playstation 3 Is Everywhere These Days, Somethings Changed
- Playing PSone Classics On The PSP Is The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread
- Sony Must Be Feeling Bullish After An Excellent GamesCom
- Ill Rue The Day The Singleplayer Dies
- Please Stop Extending Your Games With Annoying Treasure Hunts
- The Scope Of DLC Is Changing
- Why Do People Promote A Single System Future?
- The Digital Download vs. The Peripheral, Is The Video Game Industry Moving In Separate Directions?
- The Ideas Presented In Mirrors Edge & Red Faction Guerrilla Will End Up Everywhere
- The Importance Of Exposure Against An E3 Splash: Which Is More Important?
- Sonys Wand Technology Sent Out A Fierce Message To Competitors Hours After They Comfortably Assumed Victory
- Sonys First, Second & Third Party Alliances Will Ensure A Thrilling E3 2009 Showcase
- Playstation 3 Is Platformed Out With Bionic Commando & inFamous This Week, And It Reminds Me How Much I Love Super Mario 64
- In A Year Dominated By Blockbuster Sequels, Quantic Dreams Heavy Rain Vision Could Be The Diamond In The Rough
- Heres What Id Request In The PSP Go! If I Had A Job At Sony & A Say In Such Things
- Does The Playstation 3 Need Motion-Control & How Will Sony Apply It?
- Why Did Guerillas Killzone 2 Force Me To Kill The More Interesting Good Guys? I Hate The ISA!
- Sonys E3 2009 Press Conference Could Be The Biggest In History & A Turning Point In Software Perception
- A Playstation 3 Pricecut Could Cripple Sony So Stop Asking For It