Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 1,101 to 1,120 of 1,585

Ralizah

@TheOtherEden Previous steelbooks, afaik, weren't retailer-specific, so they were likely produced on a much larger scale.

What I can say is that the steelbook for Bloodstained, which was also a Best Buy "exclusive" for preordering, is a bit difficult to find now, and seems to fetch prices of $50+ online.

But, who knows? Maybe they'll be more plentiful.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

TheOtherEden

@Ralizah Yeah Honestly I’m conflicted. You have a good point. I’m trying to save a bit of money this time around and I don’t want to buy the game at full price because of fear of losing the steelbook but then, oh look it’s 6 months later and you can find the game with the steelbook for 30 bucks.

But at the same time if I don’t preorder it, like you said it could end up meaning that the steelbook becomes really expensive and hard to find. Man tough decision honestly.

Btw the way it says on Best Buy it kind of makes it sound like you get the regular case and the steelbook case too. I wonder if that’s actually the case honestly.

TheOtherEden

PSN: DiditAllByMySelf

RogerRoger

Whilst reading about the back-catalogues of certain developers, I stumbled across the welcome revelation that 2003 PS2 platformer Sphinx & the Cursed Mummy got a PC remaster in 2017, as well as a release on Switch in 2019. A copy of the original has been sitting on my retro shelf for ages, and I fully intended to start playing it very soon (as part of my "clear the decks" approach to this year) but I've just pulled the trigger on Steam instead. Bit of a one-eighty, but hey!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@TheOtherEden I'm pretty sure the steelbook ships as a separate item, so you should also get the normal case as well.

You could always preorder the game, keep the steelbook, and sell the game itself online for a little under MSRP to make your money back.

TheOtherEden

@Ralizah I think I’m gonna give in and preorder Persona 5 Strikers. I said I was gonna save money on games this year but honestly that steelbook is so tempting. 😭 I’m just worried that it might become hard to find. Plus this is one of those games I don’t really want to wait months to play. Aw man.

TheOtherEden

PSN: DiditAllByMySelf

Rudy_Manchego

I'm sat here waiting for my Collectors edition of Hyper Light Drifter for Switch. It was shipped last week from Spain but SOME PEOPLE seemed to think Brexit was a good idea and now it is taking longer for it to arrive. I rarely, if ever, get collectors edition but it was actually affordable and came with quite a lot of cool things so I went with it.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Pditty1980

@RogerRoger

I Remember them, i loved Duke Nukem 1 & 2 (they were the first 2 duke games, pre Duke Nukem 3D's huge jump in graphics, audio and almost adult content), Crystal Caves & the Commander Keen Games

its funny you'd find more power in a typical watch today than in any home PC's when these games came out originally!

Edited on by Pditty1980

Pditty1980

Ralizah

Jenny LeClue - Detectivu on the Switch eshop. $3, and the game seems to be highly regarded among the very few people who have played it.

@TheOtherEden Nice. I've thought about picking up a second copy of P5S on PS4 to complete my steelbook collection on that system, but I dunno. I'll probably just stick with my Switch copy for now and then keep an eye out for second-hand PS4 steelboxes down the line.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Pditty1980 Yeah, they have to launch via something called DOSBox on modern hardware, because technology has long since left them in the dust. A lot of the creature comforts I'd gotten used to, like instant screencapping with Windows 10's baked-in gaming features, don't work with them.

We live in an age where you can play DOOM on an office printer. It's bananas.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

So, I’d previously promised myself that I would never buy another PS3 game as I am intent on clearing ‘that’ backlog at the very least (current forecast for PS3 backlog completion is around April 2022)... but I just probably set that back a couple of weeks.

Just ordered Spec Ops: The Line after reading/over-hearing one too many comments about how innovative and special a game it was. I’m not really a first-person shooter kinda guy but from what I’ve been led to believe it is not your typical first person shooter either.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore It’s such a unique first person shooter that the game’s in third person 😛

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett no way, well it’s already more my thing! I don’t know why I was so sure it was first person. Have you played it?

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore Yeah, it’s a really great game despite the flaws that come with the time period it was made in. It actually tries to make a point which is good.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett well in that case, roll on April 2022 then. I’ve heard that the FUBAR play through is a legit plat-blocker... I’ve got quite a few of those on the horizon 🤔.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

mookysam

I've wanted Radiant Historia for a very long time; the original DS version was never released in Europe, and the 3DS port was produced in such limited quantities that it's now practically impossible to find at a reasonable price. I randomly decided to search on the Nintendo website and noticed that the eshop version was reduced to £6.74, so I'm pretty chuffed with that.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

Looks like I can add Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex (and its sequel Invisible War) and the original XIII to my ever-expanding PC backlog. So much for that New Year's Resolution.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. Dunno if I'll be getting to it right away, but, being a Nintendo game, there's zero reason to wait to buy it later if I know I'm going to play it at some point. It's not like they go down in price.

@RogerRoger Nice. Deus Ex. I have Human Revolution on my PC. Have been intending to boot it up sooner or later, since Cyberpunk turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. It's one series I've wanted to play for a long time.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@RogerRoger The original Deus Ex is still insanely impressive. The RPG mechanics and immersive world are honestly better than 99% of games even now. Haven’t played the reboot yet.

RogerRoger

@Ralizah @nessisonett Yeah, you're reinforcing all the good things I've always heard about Deus Ex, both the original standalone and the wider franchise.

I got the first game as a PS2 Classic on PS3 and wanted to love it, but it's such an awkwardly cumbersome port, so I abandoned it after an hour. I'm hoping that experiencing it in its natural habitat, so to speak, will help draw me in (not least because I went ahead and purchased some of the later games, expecting to blast through everything in sequence, and would quite like to get around to them).

Oh, and very much looking forward to seeing what you make of 3D World + Bowser's Fury whenever you get around to it, Ral. Watched a trailer the other day and thought it looked adorable, so it's already atop the "maybe" pile; a few good words could nudge it into a shopping basket.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger I can't speak to the Switch port (yet), but I had a lot of fun with it on the Wii U. It essentially takes the linear, 'obstacle course' design philosophy of the 2D Mario games and translates that to three-dimensions, much like its predecessor, Super Mario 3D Land. With that said, being developed for a home console allowed 3D World's environments to be more complex and creative, and the game almost constantly felt like it was throwing interesting new ideas at the player over the course of the game.

The other distinguishing characteristic of 3D World is how, like Super Mario Bros. 2, you're able to select between playing Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Peach. Peach is probably the easiest to play as, thanks to her insanely cool hovering ability carrying over from SMB2. There's also an unlockable character (Rosalina, of Mario Galaxy fame), and a decent amount of stuff to find and unlock. I dunno what they replaced them with in the Switch version (or if they replaced them at all), but one of the cooler features in the original was how you could find stamps portraying different images and characters, and could use those stamps to customize posts on Miiverse (Nintendo's brief foray into a sort of gaming-specific social media service).

I can't say it was the best platformer on the Wii U (IMO, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Woolly World, and Rayman Legends are some of the best platformers ever made, and while Legends was eventually delayed before release to launch as a multiplat, all three were at least initially planned as Wii U exclusives), but it's a game I'd recommend wholeheartedly if you want something simple, charming, and fun to play.

Oh, and it's also built to support both local and online multiplayer (with people on your friend list), although it's very competitive and chaotic multiplayer, so keep that in mind.

The Switch version's big changes are boosted resolution (1080p in TV mode, up from 720p on the Wii U) and small QoL changes that make the game snappier. And Bowser's Fury, of course, which is almost a complete mystery to me.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic