Forums

Topic: Gaming Resolutions for the New Year 2024

Posts 21 to 40 of 51

Th3solution

Tjuz wrote:

3) Be more active on PushSquare
I think this one in particular would help motivate me with my goals a lot. I thrive on discussion and am an endless chatterbox about anything I enjoy doing. If I make more of an effort to want to discuss games I've been meaning to try out, it might in turn give me all the more reason to actually do so

When I read this I made note that of my top 10 games I played this year, as listed over on the other thread, most of them were made more enjoyable by being able to have the discussions with others on here who’ve played or are also playing the game. It really does enhance the experience

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

Ralizah wrote:

It's good to hear the Uncharted platinum isn't too bad. Only a few of the trophies sounded annoying (how hard is crushing difficulty?). Still, I might ask for advice on a few.

Well, I'm famously averse to challenge, and I think I've completed all Uncharted games on Crushing before. It's definitely a "second playthrough" kinda difficulty, though, as foreknowledge of certain pinch-points and other crowded areas helps a great deal. For the other games, this might be a platinum deal-breaker, but The Lost Legacy is the shortest in the series; don't worry, it's still a "full" game with a cool story and compelling characters, but its expandalone status makes it much easier to blast through in a hurry.

And yeah, with regards Ace Attorney, my shameful abandonment of Chronicles is why I added "or re-start and play properly" as an aside. I regret starting it at the wrong time, because I loved what I played of it, but reckon I'll start over, so that I can properly enjoy the experience. Am really looking forward to playing the rest of the series someday, too (and seeing my beloved Gumshoe again)! Am glad to have contributed to its success on PlayStation, to help ensure those future ports.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Bundersvessel

Some excellent challenges await it seems, can’t wait to see how everyone gets on 👍

I’ve had a wee stab at some resolutions for 2024…

Play at least 3 exclusives per console.

I currently have PS5(+PS4), PS3 and XBSX. I’ve started Uncharted 4 and Horizon Forbidden West is in the post. More than likely play the Last of Us remakes/remasters this year which I think counts as I’ve played the originals and not the ‘new’ ones.
Xbox is tough; I want to play Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive but beyond that I’m stumped.

Play a Final Fantasy game

Self explanatory

At least a third of the games I play should be from non-western developers

Going to tackle a few Japanese titles this year so should be easy enough.

Play at least 1 new release.

I haven’t bought and played a game on release for ages and kind of miss being part of the discussion that comes with release window hype.

Make no platinum commitments

Spent a lot of time chasing those trinkets the last three years so want to take a step back and if they seem appealing I’ll go for if not, no big deal.

Edited on by Bundersvessel

colonelkilgore

I probably say this every year but I really wanna clear my PS3 backlog this year. I say clear… finish (& preferably platinum) the remaining games that are sat on the shelves and keeping me from unhooking the old fella. There is probably around 15 games that fit this description, so if I can squeeze in 1 per month, I’ll get pretty close at least.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@AgentCooper As a PlayStation only player, when I think about Xbox exclusives I wish I could try, in addition to Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive, I also think about the Fable series and also the Gears of War series. Of course Forza as well and now Starfield. Any of those sound enticing? I’m not much of a FPS fan to be fussed about Halo, but that’s one to consider.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore What are some of the highlights on that PS3 list, out of curiosity?

(By the way, love your new profile footer tagline. 😂 In the Push Square Civil War, consider me a recruit for the DLC Abolitionist faction.) 💪🏼

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution 🤣 aye I don’t think that I could be any more succinct tbh… and welcome aboard, we’re glad to have ya 😁.

So as far as the old George Forman Grill goes, i’ve got bits and pieces left to do on:

Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Rage

I am keen to get through the following:

Brutal Legend
Remember Me
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Spec Ops: The Line
The Saboteur
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Alpha Protocol
Deadly Premonition
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 3
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Asura’s Wrath
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Then I do have some stragglers left over that I’m probably willing to cull like:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
Sleeping Dogs (as I’ve already played the PS4 version)
Just Cause 2 (as I’ve already played it through a few times on an old profile)

… and I am torn on a few too I suppose 🤔:

The Tomb Raider HD Classics Collection
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Going through them I actually had a fair few more than I thought 😅… ahh well maybe I’ll manage to get them all done before the PS6… maybe 😉.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Bundersvessel

@Th3solution I love the Fable series, probably the one Microsoft ip I’m most familiar with. I played a small amount of the original Gears of War when it released but for some reason I haven’t found the impetus to go back and as for Halo, I’ve only ever played the first 3 so there might be something there though I didn’t have the best time revisiting Combat Evolved last year. I’m sure something will pop up, I'm classing the full Xbox history when searching for an exclusive to play.

Thrillho

@johncalmc The Y6 platinum is easy as you don't need to get 100% on the completion list and don't have to replay the whole game in legend mode; if you create a save before the final fight, you can reload that, bump the difficulty to legendary and just beat the final boss again.

@Ralizah The Maneater platinum is pretty easy, just a bit of a chore as the game is quite average.

@Tjuz Yes, you should post more on here especially now I find out you're a fellow Midnight Suns fan..

Thrillho

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Ooooh… some real gems in there. Special shout out to the two Force Unleashed, the two Castlevanias, Remember Me, and especially Enslaved. And I’d really love to play Spec Ops: The Line, The Saboteur, and the three Dead Spaces, but just never got to. At least I’ve got the PS5 Dead Space remake to do. And well, actually I could conceivably play any of these because my PS3 still works… I think.

@AgentCooper Yeah, Fable seems an ace idea, so I’d like to see how it plays. If they ever release the new one then maybe I could be convinced to pick up a box, but I’m drowning in PS4 and PS5 content as it is.

Ralizah

@Thrillho Have yet to play it, but off-hand, it sorta reminds me of a lot of the sort of low-budget games that used to pepper the library of systems like the PS2 and Wii. I'm expecting the video game equivalent of cheap fast food, so if it can live up to that standard, I'm satisfied. Sometimes you don't want something high quality.

@RogerRoger My best friend loves Gumshoe to death. To the point where he cosplayed as him at a con we went to lol

Yeah, def restart Chronicles when you have the time to commit to the games. It's the densest and most inter-connected set of games in the series, and the story builds up to some truly wonderful climatic moments in the second game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution oh you’ve done it now sol…I’d kinda assigned the Force Unleashed and Lords of Shadow sequels to the eternal-shelf of dust gathering as I’d heard that they weren’t up to snuff. Now your post is giving me second thoughts 🤔

**** DLC!

Tjuz

@Th3solution Definitely! I don't think I would've become as addicted to TV shows either had I not had a great friend to constantly discuss almost everything with. Hoping it might turn out to be the same for video games, though maybe a bit less of the addition part, haha.

Edited on by Tjuz

Tjuz

Ravix

@colonelkilgore Alpha Protocol just caught my eye. Possibly the first actual RPG experience I ever had, other than watching people play Final Fanatsy and not knowing wtf was going on 😁 and a spy game to boot.

It was kind of silly as s***, yet also really in depth and it's kind of annoying how no one else makes games like that. Maybe stuff like Deus Ex, but not a great deal of RPG spy type games out there. Certainly not for a long time.

Anyway, I popped back mostly to say, maybe my resolution can be to finish off some games I left in Limbo, as that is a habit I have, usually hit around the 75% mark and I get drawn into something else, mostly as it takes me too long the way I slow play games so other stuff appears that I want to play, and I don't have the ability to stick to it after a certain amount of weeks or months has passed. Or it gets to summer and I end up barely gaming in any way that makes it worth following an in depth story through.

Edited on by Ravix

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

colonelkilgore

@Ravix well you’ve definitely whetted-my-appetite for finally getting around to starting Alpha Protocol as I love RPG’s and I love espionage, so it’s good to know it hits hard on both fronts.

How about you, anything interesting on your limbo-shelf?

**** DLC!

Ravix

@colonelkilgore it's probably quite dated, but it definitely leant into being an RPG, from what I remember of it.

Kind of hoping to see Naughty Dog do a spy thriller one day, maybe more of a period one, that'd be cool in modern gaming. IO are doing that bond game, but I feel like we haven't seen or heard much of that. And I'm genuinely still sad Agent got binned by Rockstar all those years ago haha 😭

I had stuff like Judgement that got put on the back-burner, despite being well into the story, Immortals Fenyx Rising was kind of cool, Saints Row (but that's fair enough to give up on) I never fully finished TotK because FF16 and then BG3 took over. There's loads of things like that scattered throughout the years too, I don't know if I'll ever do the last few missions in Watch Dogs 2, for example. Some things are easy enough to go back to, even its its been a long time though, just have to treat it like a gap between tv seasons tbh.

I was surprised at how easily I got back into Cyberpunk 2077 after like 2 years away from it, but I've still not finished that playthrough because I bought Hogwarts Legacy a while ago, after finishing BG3 😅😅😅

Some people are pretty good at playing multiple games, concurrently. I, however, am not. So always end up with a backlog of games i've started, on top of ones I want to play but have yet to start 😭

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Well, maybe it’s rose-tinted spectacles, but I look back fondly on them, especially the Force Unleashed games. There was a time when Star Wars action games were a rare commodity, so maybe that, along with my rabid SW fandom at the time, could have elevated it in my eyes.

The Lords of Shadow games I feel less confident in my memory of them. I had the benefit of not having much of a history with the Castlevania series and so going into it I didn’t have preconceived notions of what it was supposed to be. I think the games probably aren’t very good ‘Castlevania’ games, but are underrated 3D action games, imo.

Probably a good idea to plan on doing the first game of each of these two series and see if either or both click before committing to the sequels.

RogerRoger

Ralizah wrote:

@RogerRoger My best friend loves Gumshoe to death. To the point where he cosplayed as him at a con we went to lol

Well, then your best friend has good taste (and not just because they're your best friend).

@colonelkilgore Just an unfortunate word of warning that Alpha Protocol runs like a PowerPoint presentation on PS3. It's still playable and very enjoyable (and it's the platform on which I fell in love with the game) but if you're planning on attempting its platinum, you'd better brace yourself.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@RogerRoger good to know buddy. Tbh I do find that I don’t judge the technical side too harshly when going back to ps3… but it’s good to be prepared 👍

**** DLC!

mookysam

Last year I didn't have any resolutions at all (gaming or otherwise), but this year have given it some thought and do actually have some goals.

Because I just bought Prince of Persia, I guess it's a "from here on out" (and we're still only in the third week of the year, so it still counts. Hey, it's my list, of course it counts!)

1) Limit game purchases
I typically don't buy a lot, but as I'm slow playing things and the backlog grows evermore, I'm conscious of the fact that I would very much like to prioritise playing what I've already got. I look at my gaming shelf and it makes me happy, which is good. I've also effectively run out of space, despite in recent months having a very good tidy up and decluttering shelves. This isn't one of those "don't buy anything" rules. There are a few games I would like and have preordered (at the moment, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and Prince of Persia). However, the year is not particularly stacked, so temptation is low.
This is largely a continuation of last year. I resisted getting Spider-Man and was okay with that, which must mean I wasn't really that amped about playing it. I'm a strange mix of impulsive, so will often be very focused and excited about one thing, only to become distracted and move on to the next. I'm also something of a procrastinator, often to the point of overthinking and not getting anything done. Gaming is my primary hobby, so I guess it's as good a place as any to start.

2) For games I do buy, prioritise digital
This will be a tricky one, as in the UK physical games are often still cheaper than digital ones. The reason I've rustled up this resolution is twofold. Firstly, I lack space, so digital is a good way of getting round that limitation. Secondly, it will force me to wait for sales. The exception to this will be for things I either specifically want as part of an existing collection, or where the game in question is a touch more special to me. As such, I have the special edition of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth on preorder and am looking forward to it.

3) If I do buy a game, aim to play it immediately or as soon as practicable
Be honest. If I don't see myself truly playing something reasonably close to purchase (no longer than a few weeks) then don't buy it. Those games that are cheap as chips on PSN may look like a good deal, or suddenly being into Dragon Ball is great at the time, but there's no point if it's not something I'm going to actually play. This will have the welcome effect of focusing me more on the present and on things I truly want to play.

4) If I don't like a game, ditch it
This is something I've been better at in recent years, but I will go further. The older I get, I've started to realise that I do not want to waste my time on crap anymore. Either in my hobbies or in my life. Last autumn I bought Starfield and played it for a solid fortnight. It wasn't gelling and as such I didn't feel like spending another second on it. I was pleased I made that decision. Perhaps I will return, perhaps I won't. Either way is fine.
In general I do have a habit of wanting to stick with something, perhaps because of the nagging notion that giving up will have meant I've wasted my time and money. This is the wrong way to look at it. Sticking with something I don't like is wasting my time.

5) Step out of my comfort zone a little by continuing to experience new genres
Primarily, this will mean at last dipping into the dark waters of the Souls-like genre. I received Elden Ring for Christmas and am both excited and nervous about playing it. Most excited, as it does look rather good.

6) Play at least ten Nintendo DS games (...and five Nintendo 3DS games)
I love the Nintendo handhelds of yore. It's an era that is now sadly over, but there's still much to delve into. Building my DS collection has been something that has brought me joy over the past few years and now is the time to actually play it. I have a mix of games and genres, so there's nice variety on offer. Although this can include replays of some old favourites, ideally at least half of this figure will be unplayed titles. By "play" I mean spending some quality time on it. If I don't like it, that is fine, but there will be no scraping by on a technicality.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic