Forums

Topic: Metal Gear Solid V OT

Posts 501 to 520 of 603

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Yeah, I've never rated him. He's barely tolerable in Batman Begins but otherwise, I tend to steer clear of his films. Still, I shouldn't let that hold me back; a film is more than one actor, after all.

And as somebody who barely listened to any of the tapes, it's little wonder I can still be surprised by nuggets of plot information I read about from MGSV. It's one thing when you've got a big RPG like Mass Effect and you're given a bunch of lore to read, but I always forgot to queue up a tape on my Walkman when wandering about the maps. I've caught up on a lot since (thank you, Metal Gear Wiki) but I much preferred listening to the soundtrack and focusing on taking out soldiers.

Sorry to hear you've likely lost your job, but I'm glad you've got stability for the next couple months, as I'm convinced we're not out of the woods yet. We're probably headed for a second lockdown (I used to work in emergency planning and response, and I've been astounded at some of the actions taken, but that's another long and boring conversation). Enjoy it whilst you can, my friend!

I've convinced myself to finish DOOM 3 before starting The Last Guardian, and got through a big chunk of it earlier today. I'm nearing the end, but there are DLC campaigns that'll sit there, making me think I haven't finished it properly, so that's probably the rest of my week now!

Hey, I have unfinished GBA games, as well as a handful of PSone and PS2 games, too!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger haha not in this case. It's more or less about a self absorbed person in a world of self absorbed people and it's told from a first person perspective so you will get a lot of Christian bale talking about his own character a lot.

Don't worry about my job, I haven't lost it, I am sure I can go back in months or a year because it's zero hour. It goes both ways, they can offer me as little or as much work as they want and I'm free to turn it down or take it as I please. I'm just not ready and I have little confidence in my company prioritising our health over the job considering it was bad enough before the coronavirus. Health and safety seems to be a box ticking exercise with little regard for common sense. What's the point of earning the dough if I'm not alive to spend it?

Honestly I was a bit surprised the UK even locked down at all and I'd be very surprised if it did again considering the national debt that we have apparently accrued. I don't agree with the prioritisation of money over health but I do get that one affects the other. Seeing as the UK is going that way though, I am going to stand fast in my spot as long as possible because I don't want me or my loved ones to die basically. It might seem silly or selfish but I guess it is what it is!

Yeah I kept forgetting the tapes when I played it years ago. I've made sure I've listened to every single one this time though!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Ah. Thanks for the warning, then!

And fair enough... in fact, more than that, I applaud your caution. If more people had your attitude, we'd have defeated this blasted virus by now. It isn't silly or selfish in the slightest; quite the opposite, it's selfish of the corporations and politicians to endanger people's lives because they've lost 10% of their millions on the stock market. The national economy is separate from that, and every other country is in the same situation, so the world's gonna look rather different once things settle back down. Like you, I'd quite like to see that day, so I'm playing it as safe as possible.

There's somebody on YouTube who collected together all the important tapes, and I listened to them one day whilst I was between games. It's such a shame Kojima wasn't given the budget to show some of it, but there are other crucial scenes I'm glad are left as audio-only, particularly the darker content. It's hideously bleak at times, and not at all comfortable to listen to!

@KratosMD Here's hoping you're able to enjoy your return and see it through this time, as it's one heck of an atmospheric game (thanks in no small part to the music).

I never played the online component, but its theme is one of my favourites from the entire franchise.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

I absolutely hate Metal Gear Solid V but for some reason every now and again I get an inkling to go back and have another bash at it to see if I'm over how much I hate it.

Edited on by johncalmc

johncalmc

Twitter:

ralphdibny

@KratosMD what happened to your save? I can't believe I'm just over here deleting my save to play it again 😂. I think this will be the last time though, I don't think I will play it again, I might carry on trying to get s ranks and developing everything I can. Storywise though, it is better to start again because of all the pretty important cutscenes you'd miss if you just played through all the missions again on a completed save. It's pretty crazy that without the option to start a new save you could literally complete the game and have no option to see all of the optional and mostly very cool cut scenes.

@johncalmc what didnt you like about it out of interest? I think for me, it is definitely a weird one. All the extra news about it at the time to do with the Kojima/konami conflict definitely affected my perception of it. It had a really strange pacing and that extra info from the news always just made me wonder if the game was complete or if there was substantial content missing from it. I think for a long time, even though I thought it was a great game, I always thought it was the worse out of all the MGS games. Additionally it was a bit out of left field, I hadn't played peace walker at the time but I genuinely didn't think there was much story left to tell after mgs4 but obviously I ended up playing and loving both peace walker and 5 even though they were massively different from the older games. I think my recent replaythrough, having known what I'm getting without the high expectations I had when I played it the first time has made me appreciate it a lot more. Also I think generally the older I've got and the more my own ego has shrunk has kind of made me realise that one man doesn't make a game. The non Kojima mgs games I've played have all been pretty/really good and while they have missed a bit of that cinematic flair, they are still awesome fun games with both interesting and silly stories.

@RogerRoger I'm glad we are on the same page on that at least! I didn't want to go too deep into it for fear of attracting the ire of the rest of the largely capitalist society we live in lol.

Yeah I couldn't believe I didn't pick up on some of that darker stuff the first time I played it. Chico being forced to have sex with Paz in Ground zeroes, Huey murdering Strangelove by locking her in the AI pod and those soldiers trying to rape Quiet toward the end of Phantom Pain. It really is mental thats in the game at all.

See ya!

johncalmc

ralphdibny wrote:

@johncalmc what didnt you like about it out of interest? I think for me, it is definitely a weird one. All the extra news about it at the time to do with the Kojima/konami conflict definitely affected my perception of it. It had a really strange pacing and that extra info from the news always just made me wonder if the game was complete or if there was substantial content missing from it. I think for a long time, even though I thought it was a great game, I always thought it was the worse out of all the MGS games. Additionally it was a bit out of left field, I hadn't played peace walker at the time but I genuinely didn't think there was much story left to tell after mgs4 but obviously I ended up playing and loving both peace walker and 5 even though they were massively different from the older games. I think my recent replaythrough, having known what I'm getting without the high expectations I had when I played it the first time has made me appreciate it a lot more. Also I think generally the older I've got and the more my own ego has shrunk has kind of made me realise that one man doesn't make a game. The non Kojima mgs games I've played have all been pretty/really good and while they have missed a bit of that cinematic flair, they are still awesome fun games with both interesting and silly stories.

I mainly loved the MGS games for their stories - flaws and all - and the story in Metal Gear Solid V is a catastrophic mess and blatantly unfinished. Gameplay wise it's pretty good, but once you've done one or two missions you've played the whole thing - unbelievably repetitive. No bueno.

johncalmc

Twitter:

LieutenantFatman

@johncalmc
I agree with you, MGS5 definitely had some neat ideas for its gameplay but the story was a big disappointment and clearly unfinished.

I loved MGS 1, 2, 3 and 4. Hence the Fatman part of my username, one of the many fun antagonists throughout the series.

LieutenantFatman

ralphdibny

@johncalmc @LieutenantFatman yep fair enough! It is a bit of a lowish point for the series story wise even if it is a highish point in others, a lot of the main missions (what they call the wet work) do seem to have very little to do with the story as a whole. I think a lot of the story is told within the tapes though, which after peace walker I was quite used to. At least you can play the tapes while actually playing the game this time around instead of staring at a picture of whoever's talking.

The lack of unique villains was a bit disappointing but one thing I found was that playing this straight after peace walker made this game make a whole lot more sense. It's a direct sequel to peace walker in so many ways and I think, especially as I hadn't listened to all the PW tapes the first time around, what little that happened in phantom pain just went straight over my head.

That being said I thought Skull Face was a bit of a throwaway villain the first time around too but I actually grew to love him this time with his domino mask and his Charlton Heston style voice!

See ya!

nessisonett

The best bit in MGSV is when you get the rocket hand and start sniping people with it.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny I don't think MGSV would get made / released today. Can you imagine that late-game scene with Quiet being accepted in this post-MeToo world?

@nessisonett The first time I took my brand new Rocket Arm out for a spin, its guidance controls caught me off-guard and I accidentally punched D-Horse right in the face. It knocked him unconscious and lowered our bond; as a result, I never, ever used the Rocket Arm again.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger thought I'd give you a shout to say I've finished all the 2d metal gear games that I'd never played before:

Metal Gear
Snakes revenge
Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake
Metal gear solid (ghost Babel) for game boy colour

I have to say they were all good but MG2:SS was definitely the best, it was basically a 2d version of metal gear solid for psx.

Snakes Revenge was a lot better than people say it is but it does have a frustrating difficulty so I was using game genie and guides to get through it lol. Having played it like that though I daresay I could actually get through it without the assist now.

The non canon games don't contradict a huge amount of the canon games, there is some mental gymnastics/head canon retconning you can do to make it make sense and I don't think it would be much more blasphemous than the official retconning that goes on in the series anyway.

I think playing metal gear games in 2d really made me realise how similar they are to Zelda games with the puzzles and the backtracking for items to use in different areas.

Anyway I'm back at metal gear solid again now 🤦‍♂️. Thought I'd give it another play for good measure haha, I don't think this play through will ever end. I will definitely stop at 4 this time if I get that far though I think I might actually get around to AC!D.

I'm just trying to get Metal gear solid mobile to work now on a Nokia N95, hitting a lot of brick walls with that one because all of the files, links and support are out of date. I gota get it working though, it's an interquel set between MGS1 and 2!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Thrillho

@ralphdibny Dedication to the cause!

I think I have such fond memories of games 1-3 because they were all relatively short and I completed them all so many times (e.g. getting the tuxedo in MGS1, getting EVERY dogtag in MGS2).

4&5 are such behemoths that I was almost pleased to finish them and the thought of doing it all again gives me shivers.

Peace Walker was a neat game for the PSP; I guess everyone who played it got Kojima to work in Mother Base, right? Ground Zero/MGS5 lean so heavily on the story though which must be pretty confusing to people who never played it.

Thrillho

ralphdibny

@Thrillho that's spot on about the peace walker/gz/5 connection, it's amazing that they did a numbered high profile sequel to peace walker which is a game that I feel like a lot of people skipped. I mean I only happened to play it before I played 5 just so I could play all the big boss games leading up to it but I had no idea it would lean so heavily on the narrative!

I think 5 and PW are definitely behemoths. I get what you mean about 4 but having played it again recently, I can tell you that the actual game play feels like it is comparatively short compared to even the earlier ones. The levels are quite short and there is little, if any, backtracking. There's definitely some challenging bits to it but I guess the length comes from all the cutscenes. I was a bit daunted by the prospect of replaying it because I remembered very little of it except the rex/ray fight, the microwave corridor, the final fight against ocelot and the various bosses but overall it didn't feel like a very long game, gameplay wise at least.

MGS1 I always remember getting a bit long because of the backtracking between buildings but especially because of that PAL card business!

When I think about what's long about 3, all I can think about is this bit where you climb up a mountain and there are snakes and flying dudes but I can't really remember what was long about that bit!

2 is still my least remembered/understood game, but hopefully I will replay it again soon and get a better grasp of it haha

I think Peace Walker is a brilliant game, even if fighting the mechs becomes a tedious chore. It just took everything great about portable ops and doubled down on it. It's highly addictive!

I've definitely played MGS1 many times, the current fresh save I'm using from back in the day has me in a tux suit with both stealth camo and bandana. I never managed to unlock the cyborg ninja suit for snake but the cyborg ninja himself is wearing a predominantly red outfit in this play through, I remember it being blue and I didn't realize that his suit changed too!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Thanks for the tagged thoughts! Really appreciate these!

I keep hearing that MG2: Solid Snake is the best of the bunch, so it's cool to see you reinforce that general opinion and point me in the right direction. The whole "canon" thing is something I quite like sorting out in my head anyway, so those moments probably wouldn't bother me, either. Sounds like you've enjoyed going back and experiencing these, yeah? So it's a worthwhile undertaking, at least.

Anything that adds context to MGS2 is worth a few headaches in my book, but I hope you don't have too many more, and can get MGS Mobile working soon!

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@RogerRoger @ralphdibny @Thrillho I think with the passing of time as more games use mechanics introduced in MGS, it made the series less of a must have game. Final Fantasy has suffered in this regard as well. Most games have a huge swathe of gameplay mechanics attached to the character like in MGS and levelling up systems as seen in FF. The PS1 and PS2 era games will forever shine brightest in both series as they were so much better at these factors more so than any other game at the time.

Even in a modern fps you have multiple trinkets to bash people with, back when MGS 2 released Unreal tournament had 10 guns.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy That's a very valid point, especially considering that I'm about to start the original Final Fantasy VII for the first time ever. I need to keep in mind the context of its release.

Quality speaks for itself, though. Good games are forever fun when viewed in a vacuum.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger yeah definitely was good for me at least. Each game is about 6 hours tops so it really didn't take that long to finish them, just takes a bit of time getting used to what the guards can and can't see.

I think MGS mobile might be a dead end for a while, I can't get the hacking guide to work on the phone I bought from eBay so my choices are to buy another phone off eBay and hope for the best or not sure what else really lol. I messaged a stranger on Reddit who had success with it (I'm not much of a Reddit user) and they've been a great help but I think I'm at a dead end now.

Oh yeah I noticed a weird line in the first MGS game when snake and Meryl reunite, she says she "was tortured and worse..." Or something like that. I never really gave it that much thought before but after what we were discussing about sexual violence later in the series, it really made me wonder what was implied by that. It certainly went over my head playing it as a 9 year old boy!

@themcnoisy I think that era is defo the best of it but overall I just love the sprawling story that takes place over the last 80 years or so and all the characters and retcons and lore and everything else with it. Konami/Kojima could probably give me a flipbook showing the death of master miller and I'd still love it just because it shows a bit more of the story. It's like comics or lord of the rings/silmarillion or a soap opera to me, more is always better!

I think most people would agree that the series could've ended at 4 but I am glad that I got to see what Big Boss and Miller got up to in Costa Rica/Nicaragua in the seventies and likewise what Venom et Al got up to in the 80s!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Aww, I'm sorry you can't get the phone working. It's frustrating when one comparatively-small piece of a massive puzzle is missing like that; if you do keep trying, I'll keep fingers crossed for you.

And wow, does Meryl really say that?! Blimey. It's been a while, so I can't recall the exact scene but, like you, I think it must've just passed me by whenever I played it last. In the context of the entire series, it's not exactly new for Mr. Kojima to include such a suggestion, but back in the day...?

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Superb stuff. I'm certain that, if Mr. Kojima could've gotten the rights, he'd have made this the game's intro cutscene. I love that they gave D.D. a credit, as well!

Making It So Since 1987

Sorry, this topic has been locked.