Horizon Forbidden West is out, and players sure are finding plenty of bugs. Thankfully, Guerrilla Games seems to be blasting them as quick as it possibly can with major game updates, and the latest of these is now live on PlayStation 5 and PS4. Version 1.06 is ready to roll, and it makes tonnes of fixes.
There are a lot of quest-specific fixes that avoid progression locks or other issues, as well as some problems with side activities such as Machine Strike. Most will probably be looking for fixes to the game's visual glitches, and there are plenty of those too. According to the official patch notes, those egregious pop-in problems should be eliminated (or at least vastly reduced), the jittery camera should now be straightened out, and that annoying Photo Mode problem where Aloy is partially blurry has been addressed.
One thing players seem to take issue with is the amount of chatter Aloy makes to herself throughout the game. This hasn't been "fixed", but Guerrilla has reduced the amount she'll mention her stash, which is a start.
Here are all the patch notes you need (potential spoilers):
- Fixed an issue in main quest ‘Reach for the Stars’ where Varl could become stuck swimming, which resulted in a missing prompt to [Examine the Machine Carcass] at the Glinthawk sighting site, thus blocking further progression.
- Fixed an issue in main quest ‘Reach for the Stars’ where Varl would visibly teleport after the Focus scanning tutorial.
- Fixed an issue in main quest ‘Reach for the Stars’ where Aloy could become stuck in a falling animation when she grabbed a collapsing climbing point and used the Pullcaster on a Grapple Point at the same time.
- Fixed an issue in main quest ‘Reach for the Stars’ where there was a sudden change in sunlight when Aloy was traversing a certain spot inside the shuttle tower.
- Fixed an issue in main quest ‘Death’s Door’ where reloading from a certain save would cause the Firegleam explosion to replay.
- Fixed an issue in main quest ‘The Dying Lands’ where Aloy and her companions would get snowed on while inside the cauldron.
- Fixed an issue in main quest ‘The Broken Sky’ where Kotallo could sometimes become distracted and stray from the task at hand, which could block further progression.
- Fixed an issue in main quest ‘The Broken Sky’ where Aloy would be placed in an unintended pose when reloading a certain save.
- Fixed an issue in main quest ‘The Kulrut’ where an objective marker was leading towards a blocked path.
- Fixed an issue in main quest ‘Seeds of the Past’ where Alva could sometimes not reach the console, blocking progression.
- Fixed an issue in main quest ‘Seeds of the Past’ where reloading the save after killing the machines outside of test station Elm would spawn Aloy stuck in the floor.
- Fixed an issue in main quest ‘Singularity’ where reloading a certain save would cause a certain line of dialogue to play again incorrectly.
- Fixed an issue in side quest ‘The Blood Choke’ where Atekka would not move into position when needed, thus blocking progression.
- Fixed an issue in side quest ‘The Promontory’ where reloading from a save after the ‘Investigate the bridge’ objective would place the player in Plainsong.
- Tempered the vigilance of machines in side quest “The Wound in the Sand”, so that they no longer enter a suspicious state immediately upon reloading from a certain save.
- Fixed an issue in side quest “A Tribe Apart” where reloading a save created after opening the metal flower at Riverwatch would cause the vines to respawn.
- Fixed an infinite black screen that would occur after stashing the Champion’s Spear and then starting any Tutorial or Challenge in Chainscrape Melee Pit, or a fixed loadout challenge in the Arena.
- Fixed an issue in Cauldron Mu where a platform at the end of the cauldron could stream in late, trapping the player underneath.
- Fixed an issue in salvage contract The Stillsands: Pristine Bellowback where the incorrect machine corpse was spawned when reloading from save after defeating the machine.
- Fixed an issue in Machine Strike where the player was no longer able to attack after selecting to repeat the instructions regarding unit combat power.
- Fixed an issue in Machine Strike where the compass would appear on screen after the player retried a match they lost.
- Fixed an issue where a wild loading screen could pop up while in the Arena menu, after returning from a challenge.
- Fixed an issue where scavenger machines would not appear after killing other types of machines in certain habitats.
- Fixed an issue with dome views where the icons would not display correctly after reloading a save.
- Fixed an issue in Salvage Contract: The Lost Supplies where the quest could not be turned in under certain circumstances.
- Fixed an issue with the track "The World on Her Shoulders" repeating if the player used fast-travel after climbing a Signal Tower. Please note that this is not fixed for players who already encountered this issue, we are investigating a separate fix for this.
- Removed haptic feedback when standing next to a campfire and when fast-traveling if the Vibration Intensity sliders are set to 0.
- Fixed an issue where a Vista image would appear in front of a Black Box collectible in the menu.
- Fixed multiple instances of objects in the world visibly popping between different levels of detail.
- Fixed an issue in Photo Mode where parts of Aloy’s outfit and body would become blurry in certain poses.
- Improved visual differentiation of the attack and move indicators in Machine Strike.
- Fixed a cosmetic issue with underwater cubemap.
- Fixed an issue where a blurry artefact was visible around the Heavy Crossbow when using it in combat.
- Fixed several instances of the camera jittering and behaving in an unintentional way.
- Several craftable quest items had the incorrect model in the workbench interface, those have now been replaced with the final assets.
- Fixed an issue with Parallax Mapped Foam by removing variable height scale in favor of a constant value; when original dynamic input value got too high it started separating the parallax layers. To fix the nasty separation of the layers at glancing angles the height scale is set by a bit of fresnel based logic.
- Fixed several instances of NPCs in settlements not displaying the correct level of detail when playing the PS4 version of the game.
- Fixed an issue in the Chainscrape tavern where moving the camera in a certain spot would cause sudden changes in lighting.
- Improved noise reduction on screen space ambient occlusion.
- Reduced the intensity of the vignette screen effect when activating Valor Surges, and when Aloy was at low health.
Performance and Stability
- Multiple crash fixes.
- Fixed multiple assets that would pop in or stream in visibly during cinematics.
- Fixed several unintentional loading screens/black screens that would trigger in specific points.
- Aloy will not mention her stash quite as often as before.
- Multiple localization fixes and text alignment corrections.
- Multiple visual and audio improvements to cinematics.
- Fixed an issue where Aloy would freeze in a specific pose when switching weapons during a charged heavy melee attack.
- Fixed an issue where remapping the controls for Primary Fire to R1 would prevent the player from throwing rocks.
- The spear impact when using ‘Strike From Above’ was missing a sound effect that has now been added.
- Fixed an issue where the player would lose control of Aloy if sprinting and sliding into the water at a specific spot in the ruins north of Landfall.
- Fixed an issue with the camera during the end credits.
- Fixed several instances of the mount behaving erratically in specific locations while riding on roads.
Patch 1.06 is just over 1GB in size, on PS5 at least, so it shouldn't take too long for you to get it installed. What do you think of this latest Horizon Forbidden West update? Tell us in the comments section below, and do take a look at our Horizon Forbidden West guide for comprehensive help with the game.
[source reddit.com, via twitter.com]
> Aloy will not mention her stash quite as often as before.
Was hoping for a fix for the firegleam icons though
@Voltan haha oh yes.
But still no major fix for the shimmering as it seems.
Terrific! Too bad I was way too eager to play the game. Finished and sold my copy last week. That’s the price you pay for playing games day-1, no quality of life updates, oh well.
@Roqka uff. Always impressed how quick people can finish such a game.
I can’t find the time beside work, friends and other hobbies. Until I will finish Horizon 2 Guerilla will have released further patches for sure.
I don't mind the stash speech, it's the stupidly rapid puzzle hint chatter that gets on my wick. As soon as you see something interesting that looks like you'll have to figure out how to get to, Aloy is all like, "Maybe if I shoot that ladder, grab that crate, do a backflip and grab it using the triangle button." Grrrrr. Shut it, Aloy!
Loving it otherwise, though.
I'm about 40 hours in now and have only had 2 minor issues which were easy enough fix.
And two that were persistent.
Aside from that I haven't had any of the pop in or shimmering issues others have reported thankfully.
That's some hefty patch notes. I still can't decide whether I should get it now or wait a few more months. I'd really like to play it but the amount of small bugs and problems is a little off-putting.
The Firegleam/tool icons stay after it's been used is very irritating.
I got stuck one time climbing. Needed to restart the game.
2 times a machine does not do annything, just stands there and takes hits...
A part from that, great game!
@PenguinL I'm almost 60 hours in and have hardly encountered any of these (other than the Firegleam icon thing which is now in the "known issues" section). Of course one's experience may differ but It's definitely not as bad is it might seem just judging by the numer of entries on the list. Pretty sure these are all minor and rather rare occurences.
Haven't experienced many bugs at all, nothing game-breaking anyway.
Maybe I haven't progressed far enough or maybe just lucky!
It is a great game, overall.
Do not let a few minor bugs put you off. (And those seem to be being repaired as soon as they are discovered).
If we all did that, we would probably never play anything.
@ApostateMage Haha I noticed this last night when I was playing…
“I think I should return to that Tallneck.”
“I should be able to fix that Tallneck now.”
“I have all the parts to repair the Tallneck.”
“I should check out that Tallneck.”
Bloody hell, give me chance! 🤪
I didn’t know if it’s because I’m playing on Easy (which is still fairly challenging in places).
@Reeneman Only went for the platinum though, not 100% completion. Spent somewhere around 50-60 hours with the game.
Protip: Don’t sleep. Jokes aside, I guess most people need more than my 6 hours a night. Never needed more than that to stay healthy and feel rested everyday.
"Fixed an issue in main quest ‘Seeds of the Past’ where Alva could sometimes not reach the console, blocking progression"
Lost 15-20 minutes last night because of this one ^_^
Since it's part of a tiny "puzzle", you tend to think it's something you're missing, and have to figure out...
After exhausting all the other possibilities, only reloading the last autosave got it fixed... she jumped towards the consoles, finally.
About the excessive chatter from Aloy: didn't bother me. It's good that she talks at least, as opposed to other games where the hero is quite the mute from start to finish...
The only other bug that I encountered are occasional random 1 second black screens. It's good they got it fixed, they were distracting.
Despite all of the above, it's a stellar game, above many in the genre. Good job Guerilla!
Wow Guerrilla are on the ball, although 40 hours in and yet no problems.
While this still does not fix my biggest issue with the game, which would be the horrible shimmering and such in Performance Mode, it is still nice to see another big update fixing a lot of issues less than 2 weeks in.
@Roqka haha ok yes, that’s a major advantage.
With less than 6-7 hrs I feel pretty bad. Already have just a relatively light sleep :/
Only professional and absolutely quiet Ninjas could break into my flat and steal something haha.
@PenguinL I think it’s fine to play it right now but if you can’t hold it never hurts to further wait, you will get an even more polished game then.
I took a break now as well from Horizon and played Cyberpunk during the last evenings.
The fix for the popups in the insanely beautiful cutscenes is one of the most important fixes for me. Hope they can improve the shimmering a bit as well.
Nevertheless an outstanding and beautiful game.
@BritneyfR_ee I don’t mind the prompts on what to do next, this is one of the first games in quite a while where I am not sitting with a phone in my lap, trying to google a walk through video of what to do next. Keeps me immersed. I feel like almost every time I am not sure of my next step, Aloy provides some guidance. I too am playing on the easy story mode, and its awesome, it’s challenging and tons of fun, but never confusing or frustrating.
It's not listed but I bet they fixed the photomode glitch where you can see her nipples lol
I see a lot of people talk about how they have encountered few or no bugs; but for me this has been one of the buggiest games I have played in recent memory.
Enemies constantly get stuck in alert mode and get stuck facing one direction (no matter what you do around them),
Aloy gets stuck in the world a lot.
I have had quests where some of the machines for "kill all machines" just didn't spawn in, taking multiple reloads and retries before the quest could be complete.
I have had push blocks get permanently stuck in the game world.
I have had NPCs that say "Follow me" and then proceed to run back and forth in a 10 foot line for about 30 seconds.
I get very regular visual glitches like enemies teleporting across the screen when killed,
There are a lot more; but those are off the top of my head (oddly except the Alva one, I haven't encountered any of the bugs listed here). With all that said I love the game and would still recommend it warts and all.
@ApostateMage Even with all of the bugs I have encountered this is the number one issue I have with the game. I include in this the incessant chatter that the NPC Allies repeat over and over. For example when trying to get Alva to that console and not realizing its bugged out, every few seconds hearing Alva tell you to take her to the console got so annoying that I had to mute the game for awhile.
One thing that I noticed was that sometimes the game looked a bit 'washed out', no matter how much I tinkered with the settings on game, console and 4K TV, nothing worked. Then I tried turning off the HDR setting on the PS5 and everything now looks crisp and colourful
All great news... just started this game and I remember now why I put in 110+ hours into the first one. Still in starting area probably 6+ hours in. Love this game. Totally taking my time with this and doing all the side quests. Also started the game on hard mode.
Were people really complaining about Aloy talking to herself? I don't know what to say.
@ApostateMage huge "Jill, here's a lockpick. It might come in handy if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you." energy.
I’m playing on Hard and Aloy does the same thing.
Only got two more missions in the story to go.
@ApostateMage Totally agree. I don’t need Aloy to hold my hand. Plus the chatter she makes when starting a new side mission for example, if I leave the immediate area Aloy will comment on leaving and then going back in she’ll comment about doing the mission. It’s quite annoying.
Lol I'm fine with Aloy's chatter when she's giving hints, the only problem is with instances like when she sees Erend at Barren Light and keeps repeating how drunk he is each and every time you go in and out of that settlement, that right there looks like a bug. Otherwise I'd prefer her being a talkative than a mute protag.
Still a whole host of issues for me. Not salty; definitely enjoying the game but fact is they've got a fair share of polish still needs applied.
@KilloWertz er don’t know yet. In one of their Tweets from today they clearly mentioning the shimmering again and that the team is looking for solutions.
Just loving this game. It's everything I could have asked for. The one think I hope is addressed is new game plus. This game needs it!
@OMG_Waffles will come for sure in a later patch. It was the same with the first game.
Having a few issues here. Loaded the game after the patch and it just crashes the ps5. Like every save I have. Literally none work anymore. Anyone else having this problem? Tried other games and they load fine.
Now reinstalling without the patch, hopefully it loads. As I will be crying if I lose my save.. haha
Performance mode, while still pretty poor picture quality, is definitely improved. Less pixel crawl and makes for a slightly clearer view.
@themightyant I had the humping one was hilarious to me 😂 & had one last night where an npc was supposed to zipline to me but instead of using the zipline they flew down like a ragdoll 😂
Maybe they should have had a “crunch time” just before release after all..
@Would_you_kindly to be honest I had the biggest bug I’ve had last night after patch 1.06. I was fighting a large machine, hit his weak point and when the part flew off the main bulk of the machine a turned invisible while leaving all the removable armour and parts moving on screen. As the battle took several minutes it really broke immersion. Again not a huge deal but definitely Noticeable.
Broadly though I’ve been happy with the performance, considering the huge scope of the game, despite all the noise
Only major issues I'm having is when In the arena sound effects aren't working properly and when killed all machines it keeps me in the arena as that they're still machines to kill very frustrating when trying to finish the arena hope gets fixed other than that very good game
I bounce off this quite quickly as I had really bad pop-in, some of the worst I've ever seen. So I gave it a bit more time in the oven. I'll come back when/if I've finished Elden Ring. That of cause could also do with more time, I'm playing on PC and this time I don't have the stutter as bad as others lucky. I seem to remember that BotW pulled me of the first game for a couple of months before I came back and finished it. I'm going to go back to waiting 3 months to buy games, better product of a lot less money.
@Palleon or just a couple of weeks delay to release? I'd rather play a game which hasn't done lasting damage to the team's mental and emotional health, their relationships, etc.
I'm a little disappointed with the state this released in, but only because my expectations were set so high by the previous game. I feel like this buggyness is the true cost of cross platform development. It's still vastly more stable than the average third party game on release.
The strange thing for me is, I only started getting glitches when they started doing the patches 🤪 I didn’t have any issues for the first 40-50 hours but I’ve had a few issues recently. Still nothing major though, just little blips here and there.
I had one glitch today where the sprint button stopped working and my Shieldwing glider floated up instead of down 🙃
The Shieldwing thing was pretty cool though. I could leap into the air and glide from one end of the map to the other (slowly gaining altitude along the way). But after about 30 minutes or so it stopped working and the sprint button came back too. I was a bit gutted tbh.
Also had a glitch where I jumped into some water and emerged inside a rock that I couldn’t get out of. A quick restart fixed it.
But other than that, the game is as finished as you would hope to expect. I just want my floating Shieldwing glider back 😫
Is anyone else experiencing an audio bug while exploring? Combat music is looping constantly. I’ve tried loading old saves and reloading the game but, no bueno. I love the game but drums banging constantly is tiresome.
Tap here to load 42 comments
Leave A Comment
Hold on there, you need to login to post a comment...