July proved to be another desperately disappointing month for physical video game sales in North America. Overall sales in the retail sector dropped by 20 percent year over year – bringing in just $548.4 million compared to $686.3 million the year prior.
Hardware sales dwindled by as much as 32 percent, with a 23 percent decrease in software also contributing to the overall decline. Accessories, however, managed to post improved numbers, partly due to the popularity of digital points cards and Activision’s ridiculously successful Skylanders series.
Unsurprisingly, NCAA Football ’13 was July’s most popular game. It was accompanied by superhero tie-ins LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes and The Amazing Spider-Man in the top five. Familiar favourites Call of Duty: Black Ops and Assassin’s Creed: Revelations fleshed out the rest of the chart, while Dead Island managed to stumble back into the tenth spot.
Feel free to peruse the full list of movers and shakers below.
1. NCAA Football 13 (360, PS3)
2. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC)
3. The Amazing Spider-Man (360, PS3, 3DS, NDS, Wii)
4. Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3)
5. Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, DS, Wii, PC)
7. Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC)
8. NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC)
9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
10. Dead Island (360, PS3, PC)