Hogwarts Legacy is a new open world title set in the Harry Potter universe. It launched for PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC on 7th February 2023, and then came to PS4 on 5th May 2023. In our Hogwarts Legacy PS5 review, we awarded the game an 8/10 and described it as "a special experience for Harry Potter fans, packed full of magic, wonder, and charm".
In this Hogwarts Legacy guide, we'll include a full walkthrough of the Main Quest and all Side Quests and Assignments, as well as reveal the locations of all Collectibles. In addition, our guide answers FAQs and offers some Help for a few of the more vague aspects and mechanics in the game. We'll also provide a selection of tips and tricks for beginners.
While we have tried to keep them to a minimum on this page, please note you may encounter Hogwarts Legacy spoilers below. Please browse with a degree of caution. In addition, this guide is based on the PS5 version. Since the game won't differ on other platforms, though, the information will apply across every edition. With the PS4 version available, those users can also use this guide also to find any help or information they need.
Hogwarts Legacy Guide: Walkthrough
For the first part of our Hogwarts Legacy guide, we'll share a walkthrough of the game's main campaign, covering where to go next, puzzle solutions, and combat strategies. We also touch upon all the Side Quests and Assignments, which do flesh out the open world with optional tasks and stories. There aren't any time restraints attached to quests, so feel free to complete them whenever you like.
Main Quests Walkthrough
- The Path to Hogwarts Walkthrough
- Welcome to Hogwarts Walkthrough
- Charms Class Walkthrough
- Defence Against the Dark Arts Class Walkthrough
- Weasley After Class Walkthrough
- Welcome to Hogsmeade Walkthrough
- The Locket's Secret Walkthrough
- Secrets of the Restricted Section Walkthrough
- Tomes of the Tribulations Walkthrough
- Herbology Class Walkthrough
- Potions Class Walkthrough
- The Girl from Uagadou Walkthrough
- Trials of Merlin Walkthrough
- The Hunt for the Missing Pages Walkthrough
- Jackdaw's Rest Walkthrough
- Flying Class Walkthrough
- The Room of Requirement Walkthrough
- In the Shadow of the Undercroft Walkthrough
- The Map Chamber Walkthrough
- Percival Rackham's Trial Walkthrough
- The Helm of Urtkot Walkthrough
- Beasts Class Walkthrough
- The Caretaker's Lunar Lament Walkthrough
- The Elf, the Nab-Sack, and the Loom Walkthrough
- In the Shadow of the Estate Walkthrough
- The High Keep Walkthrough
- Astronomy Class Walkthrough
- Back on the Path Walkthrough
- Charles Rookwood's Trial Walkthrough
- Fire and Vice Walkthrough
- Professor Weasley's Assignment Walkthrough
- It's All Gobbledegook Walkthrough
- In the Shadow of the Mine Walkthrough
- The Headmistress Speaks Walkthrough
- The Polyjuice Plot Walkthrough
- Niamh Fitzgerald's Trial Walkthrough
- In the Shadow of the Mountain Walkthrough
- Lodgok's Loyalty Walkthrough
- Wand Mastery Walkthrough
- The Final Repository Walkthrough
Side Quests Walkthrough
There are 57 Side Quests in the game. You can find a full list — complete with walkthroughs — in our All Quests guide.
There are 12 Assignments in the game, and they represent optional objectives you can complete for teachers in order to unlock new Spells. You can find a full list — complete with walkthroughs — in our All Quests guide.
Hogwarts Legacy Guide: Collectibles
For the next part of our Hogwarts Legacy guide, we are going to share a complete breakdown of all the Collectibles in the game. In addition to revealing their locations, we will provide walkthroughs to obtaining them if a puzzle or combat encounter is attached to their retrieval.
- All Ancient Magic Hotspots Locations
- All Astronomy Tables Locations
- All Balloons Locations
- All Collection Chests Locations
- All Demiguise Statues Locations
- All Field Guide Pages Locations
- All Merlin Trials Locations and How to Solve Them
- All Hogwarts Grounds Collectibles
- All Hogsmeade Collectibles
- All Clagmar Coast Collectibles
- All Coastal Cavern Collectibles
- All Cragcroftshire Collectibles
- All Feldcroft Region Collectibles
- All Forbidden Forest Collectibles
- All Hogsmeade Valley Collectibles
- All Hogwarts Valley Collectibles
- All Manor Cape Collectibles
- All Marunweem Lake Collectibles
- All North Ford Bog Collectibles
- All North Hogwarts Region Collectibles
- All Poidsear Coast Collectibles
- All South Hogwarts Region Collectibles
- All South Sea Bog Collectibles
Hogwarts Legacy Guide: FAQs and Help
In the third part of our Hogwarts Legacy guide, we are going to answer some FAQs and provide Help for understanding some of the more vague mechanics and puzzles in the game. This will help you to get a better grasp of the early game much quicker and know what to look out for.
- Best House: What House Should You Choose?
- Best Wand: What Type of Wand Should You Choose?
- How Long Does It Take to Beat?
- Is There Quidditch?
- How to Change Gear Appearance and Hide items
- How to Change Time of Day
- How to Get a Broomstick
- How to Increase Gear Capacity
- How to Open Eyeball Chests
- How to Open Animal Symbol Puzzle Doors
Hogwarts Legacy Guide: Trophies
For this part of our Hogwarts Legacy guide, we're going to focus on Trophies. We will provide a full Trophy guide and walkthroughs for individual Trophies, all in the name of unlocking the Platinum Trophy.
- Trophy Guide: All Trophies and How to Unlock the Platinum
- How to Brew Every Type of Potion
- How to Learn All Spells
Hogwarts Legacy Guide: Tips and Tricks for Beginners
For the final section of our Hogwarts Legacy guide, we'll share some tips and tricks for beginners, covering points we think are important to know as you play the game. Below you will find a selection of tips and recommendations to help you find your feet in the huge open world.
Use Revelio Everywhere
There are so many objects to interact with and Collectibles to pick up that you'd never spot everything on your own. This is where Revelio comes in, a Spell that highlights things in the environment in a different colour. Whenever you're some place new, use the Spell to find things to collect and add to your inventory.
The Game Takes Its Time to Open Up
Features like The Room of Requirement and riding a broomstick have featured quite heavily in footage shown prior to release, but it takes quite a lot of time before you actually gain access to them. It takes a long time for the game to give you everything, so don't worry about whether you've missed a vital mechanic. You'll get it all eventually.
Sell Unwanted Gear to Free Up Slots
At the start of the game, you only have 20 gear slots, which are shared across every type of armour piece. It's very, very limiting, to the point where you won't be able to pick up new items if your gear slots are at full capacity. You will unlock a way to increase your gear slots, but until that happens, always sell the stuff you don't want at shops in Hogsmeade.
Use Floo Flames to Quickly Get Around
The open world is a gigantic place, so if you wish to cut down on travel time, take advantage of the Floo Flame system. This allows you to fast travel to any Floo Flame you've found in the environment, which is done by simply walking up to it. You can then open the map up and fast travel to any Floo Flame on the map.
Complete the Optional Assignments
Alongside the Main Quest and side missions, you'll also be handed optional Assignments by teachers. These are worth doing because they unlock more Spells for you to add to your arsenal, and they also further your capabilities of interacting with the environment. For example, Wingardium Leviosa is an optional Spell to learn.
That concludes our Hogwarts Legacy guide, which we hope proved helpful for whatever piece of information you were looking for. If you have any further suggestions or need an extra bit of help, feel free to post in the comments below.