Forums

Topic: Push Square Readers Game Of The Year 2021

Posts 1 to 15 of 15

Kidfried

I vaguely remember there being a thread similar to this one, but I just couldn't find it.

Anyway, post your favorite games of the year here. Here's my Top 10:

10) Deathloop
9) Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart
8) It Takes Two
7) Death's Door
6) Radiohead's Kid A Mnesia Exhibition
5) A Short Hike
4) Returnal
3) Chicory
2) Hades
1) Disco Elysium

I'd say...
#1 to #3 is a 10/10,
#4 to #7 is a 9/10
#8 to #9 is an 8/10,
and #10 is a 7/10.

(No Switch and PC games here, because the once I played just weren't good enough)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Kidfried

A top 3 or top 20 or whatever is fine too of course.

Kidfried

LtSarge

1) Halo Infinite
2) Forza Horizon 5
3) Psychonauts 2
4) Metroid Dread
5) Pokémon Shining Pearl
6) The Medium
7) Mario Party Superstars
8) The Gunk
9) Lake
10) Twelve Minutes

Haven't played any new PlayStation games from this year since I don't have a PS5. It helps though to have Game Pass so that I got to experience Halo, Forza, Psychonauts, Medium, The Gunk, Lake, Twelve Minutes, basically the majority of the games on my list, lol. It's been a pretty good year for Nintendo as well! Wish that I had played more of the games that came out during summer, such as Bravely Default II, No More Heroes 3 and NEO: The World Ends With You. Not to mention Persona 5 Strikers from earlier this year. Probably would've added some of these on there instead if I'd played them.

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

I actually think that I’ve only played one game that released this year… so:

#1 Guardians of the Galaxy 😁

**** DLC!

nessisonett

I’m not very good at ranking things but my ‘top’ games definitely include:
Metroid Dread
Deathloop
Resi Village
The Pedestrian
Hitman 3

Then it gets complicated because I technically played Hades and Disco Elysium in 2019. But Disco’s PS5 Final Cut version is a big improvement and one of the best games ever made. So I don’t know how to rank stuff like that.

A tier below those games would be Returnal, Overboard, Super Monkey Ball and that kinda 7/10 vibe.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

Only really played two new releases this year (Returnal and R&C: Rift Apart) but played a few which were older games that had new PS5 ports releases this year (Control UE, FF7R Intergrade, and A Plague Tale). Tossing out those which were ports, I’d just have to say:

1. Returnal
2. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Both great games. And in the case of Returnal, probably it cracks an all-time top 30 list. Hard to say. I’d have to sit down and rank my all-time list again, but it’s going to be in the discussion.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Gamer83

1. Halo Infinite (can't believe this myself because 343's prior efforts were pretty disappointing but it really is the game I've had the best time playing this year and first non-Bungie Halo to live up to the series' legacy)
2. Metroid Dread
3. Resident Evil Village
4. Forza Horizon 5
5. Monster Hunter Rise
6. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
7. Guardians of the Galaxy
8. Lost Judgment
9. Tales of Arise
10. Returnal

Gamer83

Ralizah

Didn't really play any new Playstation games this year (newest was P5 Royal from 2020, lol).

Anyway, looking over the "new" games I played this year, I'd say:

1) Shin Megami Tensei V - Flawed, but a blast all the same. There's nothing out there like mainline SMT for me.
2) Monster Hunter Rise - A much more 'arcadey' MH game than I was expecting, but still fantastic. Never knew I wanted to fight monsters as medieval Japanese Spider-Man, but there you go.
3) The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles - Much older games, but they're newly released in the West, and I'm so happy they were, because they're some of the best games in the series to date. Really dig the new setting, cast, and unique atmosphere of this spinoff duology.
4) Gnosia - The fanfare for this fabulous Japanese indie was ridiculously low, and what little attention it got mostly saw it being compared to Among Us because of the social deduction gameplay. In reality, it's a mind-bending social deduction visual novel RPG with a vivid artstyle and great world-building.
5) Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin - A much more adult sequel to the cult original game. Even moreso than the original, it does a good job of feeling like a turn-based version of a Monster Hunter game, but with charming characters and a colorful anime aesthetic.

I played other new games this year, but these were comfortably my top five. All Switch titles, although Great Ace Attorney is also on PC and PS4.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Ryall

1) Ys 9 Monstrum Nox
2) Scarlett Nexus
3) Tales of Arise
4) Bowser‘s fury
5) Ratchet and Clank rift apart
6) Psychonauts 2
7) Demon Turf
8) Persona 5 Strikers
9) Death’s Door
10) Kena: Bridge of Spirits

I didn’t consider re-releases or remakes so no :
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles,
Project Zero Maiden of Black Water or
Wonder Boy Asha in Monster World

Edited on by Ryall

Ryall

Kidfried

@Ryall I am still interested in Bowser's Fury, but it feels weird to me paying full price for a piece of DLC for a game that I bought years ago. :/

Kidfried

Ryall

@Kidfried It took me nine hours to collect all 100 cat shines. It’s essentially a couple of Super Mario Odyssey levels worth of content. Scattered over a small sea with Super Mario 3-D world controls.

I had a very enjoyable weekend with it and preferred it to any of the levels in Super Mario 3-D world (played on WiiU a while ago).

It’s essentially a single player game. The is a companion that another player or AI can control. I instructed it to do nothing. Since I didn’t want it taking out the weak enemies before I could deal with them.

Ryall

crimsontadpoles

There's various 2021 releases that got put on my wishlist that I will get eventually, but very few that I actually played. The two notable ones are Hitman 3 and Monster Hunter Rise. They're both wonderful games as well as being good in different ways, so I won't try to rank them.

Honorable mentions goes to Your Turn to Die. It's a free web browser game and a visual novel style game about a bunch of people who are kidnapped and forced to take part in death games. It's not fully finished yet (they've been releasing new content in parts), but it's really great so far.

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

RogerRoger

As mentioned elsewhere, the only "new" game I played this year (that wasn't a remaster, compilation or enhanced re-release) was Hitman III and even then, I think I've spent more time replaying the previous games' levels in it than I have enjoying its six new environments.

Given how determined I am to wait 'til I'm ready to play new games, rather than jumping on them at launch because I think I should, this might become a common sort of sentiment from me. Sorry!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

R1spam

I haven't played enough 2021 games to do a top ten but I could do a top 8:
1) psychonauts 2 - I have no history with the series but was blown away by the creativity and level design combined with a story that works on many levels.
2) Hades, I'm cheating a bit with this one as I played in switch and technically it came out last year but its such a joy. I love how I never minded failing as you advance the narrative and can progress. Smart writing, great soundtrack
3) metroid dread - I just had a lot of fun, loved how the pattern recognition kicked in after a few goes at a tough boss and just how exploration felt rewarding but I never felt lost.
4) halo infinite (mainly for the multiplayer, the single player open-world is fun but a bit samey, imagine it would make great coop fodder when that launches). Big team battle and fiesta modes have been great fun. The time to kill being high is genius as it typically means you have an encounter before you die rather than running and dying without knowing what was going on.
5) returnal (this may head up or down on my list as I'm only at the second boss but the gunplay, movement and general game feel are increadible. This game has its hooks in me!
6) inscryption - I'm loving the atmosphere but it's my first gaming card game (I played 200 odd hrs of witcher 3 without really touching gwent). I have found some of the battles tough, you live and learn though!
No spoilers please, I've only played about 6 hrs.
7) forza horizon 5 - it's very polished and fun but somehow it can't overtake 4 for me. Something about, driving through the peak district and Edinburgh, places I know so well combined with top gear missions, is just so hard to top.
8) ratchet and clank - it's so beautiful and I found the first few hours really fun but halfway through I found it to be a bit samey. Enemy variety isn't great and I don't feel challenged to try and vary weapons playstyles.
I haven't played enough of kena bridge of spirits or forgotten City to have a strong opinion but both seem promising so far!

I still haven't played hitman 3, deathloop or resi 8. For only second year of next gen consoles, its been a pretty decent year

Edited on by R1spam

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

Gremio108

I don't really feel like I can contribute much to this thread other than to praise Hitman 3, the only 2021 Playstation game I played. I didn't play much of it, just a couple of levels on my friend's PS5, but I did manage to complete the Dartmoor level using nothing more than a feather duster and gravity as my only weapons. That's enough to make it my GOTY.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.