Forums

Topic: Looking for a weird old educational game from the mid 1990's

Posts 1 to 10 of 10

Route66Fan

Hi! This is my first post here. Back around 1996-97, when I was in 3rd grade, I remember playing an odd educational 2-D game, the game probably came out 1-2 years earlier. I don't really remember much about the game except for one part where you're in a room & the room has a TV & a Jack-in-the-box in it. When you click on the Jack-in-the-box, it will play the song Pop Goes the Weasel. You would have to click on it, at least 8 times to hear the whole song, with jack popping out on the 8th click & finishing the song. When you click on the TV, it would show some old public domain cartoons from the 1940's & 1950's. I seem to remember seeing a Little Audrey cartoon being shown on the TV. I don't remember anything else about the game. For some reason, the title, "Dole's 5 a Day Adventures", comes to my mind when I think about this game, but I don't think that is it, although I played a version of that game around the same time. It been kinda bugging me that I can't clearly remember what educational computer game this was. I tried asking on Reddit, but had no sucess. I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this on. Please help, thank you.

Edited on by Route66Fan

Route66Fan

ralphdibny

@Route66Fan not at all the wrong forum to post this, there's often a lot of requests for information on games with only memories to describe them. It's always quite a lot of fun to work them out too!

I'm afraid I don't think I can help though, I feel like the only educational games I may have played will have been so heavily disguised that my tiny child mind might not have recognised the educational aspect. Stuff like The Magic Schoolbus pops to mind.

We also had a series of floppy disks here in the UK called PC Genius which I remember being quite fun, I have a box of them in the loft. I don't think it's the one you are looking for though, all I really remember about it is there was a panda character.

Hopefully your description jogs somebody's memory! I think educational games are easily forgotten because of their ten a penny nature and how they don't often spawn gritty 2010 reboots in high definition. I think there are repositories of forgotten DOS games online which I don't think we are permitted to post here but maybe having a browse through some of those lists of files will help jog your memory! Good luck!

See ya!

Black_Swordsman

@Route66Fan I don't know which game you're referring to but if you're into stuff like old cartoons, you might enjoy a game called Cuphead, look for some videos on Youtube and let me know if you get it! Take care!

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Tasuki

Do you remember what system it was on, that might help. Was it on Playstation, PC, Nintendo etc.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Route66Fan

It was on the Apple Macintosh.
I have a feeling that the old cartoons were included as a "tech demo", as the game came out when "full motion video" in computer games was starting to become a thing.

Edited on by Route66Fan

Route66Fan

Tasuki

@Route66Fan Sorry I am not familiar with Mac games and I am not sure who would be here.

You might have more luck asking on a PC forum or Reddit. That's all I can think of.
Good Luck to you.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

ralphdibny

@Route66Fan luckily there is an online repository of old mac games thats available online which catalogs a lot of abandonware, ive found a few old star trek games on it so it might be worth a look!

See ya!

Route66Fan

I tried posting about the game on the r/tipofmytongue subreddit, but I didn't get much help there.

Route66Fan

Route66Fan

I have found out that a company (United American Video Corporation.) which was known for releasing old public domain cartoons on VHS tapes was also briefly involved in the PC & MAC educational games business for a few years in the mid-90's. I think that the game that I am thinking of might have been one of their games.

Edited on by Route66Fan

Route66Fan

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.