Forums

Topic: Gaming's pet peeves

Posts 381 to 391 of 391

CJD87

@Th3solution That is genuinely interesting to hear... and your 'swivel' analogy is exactly how I justify my sickness ha! Agree 100% though that it is incredibly jarring when games suddenly flip unexpectedly from invert/standard (eg when aiming or in airborne flight).

What a relief though to finally get this off my chest! Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to tell my parents....

Edited on by CJD87

CJD87

RogerRoger

@CJD87 I feel you, buddy. It's been a much rarer issue for me (in fact, I can only think of a couple of examples, mostly Japanese games) but, on occasion, I've found myself looking for the same setting and been disappointed when I've been unable to find it. We all have our preferences!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HeavyMetalWario64DS

colonelkilgore wrote:

@CJD87 x-axis inversion… I’ve never even heard of anyone inverting the x-axis before. I’ve always thought inverting the y-axis was a bit weird (unless youre flying in-game of course)… but what in all that is holy first caused you to invert the x-axis? 🤔

I feel like one of the PS2 Kingdom Hearts games or maybe a Ratchet & Clank PS2 game had the X axis inverted by default (or maybe it was R2 rotating counterclockwise). As for the Y axis, I always had it normal when I started playing FPSs, and inverted when flying, but at one point in the last couple of years I was trying to train myself to play with it inverted so I could play some older shooters where inverted was the only option.

The thing that really drives me nuts though is aiming with the left stick rather than the right. There was a mission in GTA Vice City on PS2 that introduced you to assault rifles. You're forced to aim it with the left stick and I was unable to clear the mission like that. I ended up having to buy body armor and an SMG and clear it with those instead. I also have had a hard time aiming the bow at the shooting galleries in Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask on the N64.

HeavyMetalWario64DS

colonelkilgore

@HeavyMetalWario64DS I’m with you mate… my left thumb is not made to aim and move at the same time. It’s enough that it can merely move my gaming avatar at all really… what with how utterly useless all other aspects involving my left appendages are 🤣

Edited on by colonelkilgore

Whatever became of that fearsome ne’er-do-well?

stvevan

fifa specific, everytime you make a tackle near touchline it goes for a throw in. EVERY SINGLE TIME

stvevan

stvevan

i also miss cheat codes. used to love finishing a game, put some codes in and have a blast

stvevan

Fayetta

Long tutorials really bugs me, maybe I’ve become impatient as I’ve got older as it never bothered me as a kid. It’s just the fact that they hold your hand way too much and most of it is things you could probably work out yourself, or they could whittle it down!

Fayetta

Th3solution

@Fayetta I’ve definitely played game where I’m still getting tutorial prompts for basic mechanics way past the time that you should need them.

I’ve also had the opposite happen where there is either no tutorial explaining things, or maybe they have such a quick brief message that I ignore and which never gets shown again. I’ve gone whole games without using certain gameplay mechanics because the tutorial for it was so lacking that I never learned it.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Fayetta

@Th3solution I know exactly what you mean. I hate when games keep telling you ‘press square to jump’ when you reach a climbable object. I’d say the opposite to that would be Final Fantasy VIII, they give you a tutorial page which to be fair is up to you to view but the majority of it is pretty much repeats of what they’ve explained in other pages!

Fayetta

RogerRoger

During the PS360 era, a lot of games had smart tutorial prompts, whereby the prompt would appear for your first couple of attempts and then disappear, but then return if you kept failing to do a certain action. For example, outside of their prologues, the Arkham games would only tell you to "Press Triangle to Counter" if you let Batman get smacked about the head three or more times in a row.

It's definitely one of those things where nowadays, I see a game with permanent prompts (or no prompts at all) and think to myself, "C'mon folks, we nailed this a decade ago!!"

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic