Forums

Topic: Gaming's pet peeves

Posts 361 to 380 of 516

nomither6

invisible walls shouldn’t be a thing in games anymore

nomither6

Th3solution

This came to mind today while playing FF7R Intermission —

Companion NPC’s that follow you too closely so you keep running into them when you turn around and they get in the way when you’re trying to interact with a pick-up or switch in the environment.

Like jeez, Sonon, give me some space, bro. I have more of your DNA on me than my own.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

Th3solution wrote:

I have more of your DNA on me than my own.

That's, um... certainly a turn of phrase, but hey, however you wanna play your games, buddy...!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Ha, ha! yeah, I can’t take credit — I heard it once on a sit-com (I forget which) when a girl was trying to put a suitor in his place who was being too forward.

The funny thing is that Sonon has a very sterile and business-like relationship to Yuffie. He calls her “boss” and doesn’t flirt or anything. He just follows too close and keeps getting in my way! 😂

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Sounds like poor Sonon's got some feelings that he's shy to share.

In relation to your actual point, I do agree with your frustration, and can relate. Usually when I'm trying to line up a shot in a Photo Mode which doesn't have a "hide NPCs" toggle. I reckon I've got a perfect, clear angle on my protagonist and then suddenly the camera's stuck inside a squadmate's head, and all I can see is some freaky teeth and eyeballs bobbing up and down.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

CJD87

This will sound somewhat precious, and I'm probably in a very small minority here...

• No option to invert the X-Axis basically makes a game unplayable for me!

It seems common place that most games include an option to invert the Y-Axis camera... but not always necessarily the X-Axis. A recent example was 'Ashen' (a pretty great Souls-clone game) which I actually had to give up playing due to no X-Axis inversion.

I'm very conscious I have a perverse sickness regarding my taste for camera options lol..... but surely its not that difficult for devs to include this?! I've never played RDR2 or GTAV, but understand that Rockstar aren't fans of including this option either.

I can deal with lack of button remappings, and am usually on board for using default button settings to play any game as a developer intended... but the lack of X-Axis inversion is basically a deal breaker for me!

CJD87

Th3solution

@CJD87 Hmmm, you think you know a guy…
You’re one of those? 😜

colonelkilgore

@CJD87 x-axis inversion… I’ve never even heard of anyone inverting the x-axis before. I’ve always thought inverting the y-axis was a bit weird (unless youre flying in-game of course)… but what in all that is holy first caused you to invert the x-axis? 🤔

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

CJD87

@Th3solution @colonelkilgore Like I say guys, this is an absolute sickness of mine...!

When I returned to gaming a couple of years back, one of the first Switch games I picked up was Starlink Battle for Atlus - and this game actually FORCES X-axis inversion on you....

At first I couldn't stand it, but then it quickly became the gaming equivalent of 'Stockholm Syndrome' and I rapidly began to develop positive feelings towards my captor. Before I knew it, I was inverting X everywhere... Mario Odyssey / BOTW... there was no slowing me down!

Lord please forgive me, I know not what I do...

CJD87

Th3solution

@CJD87 😂 No mate, it’s all good. No need to flagellate for your transgression.

Honestly (I’ve told this before but it’s been a while), my experience was the opposite of your own — I started gaming with a predilection for inverting my axes. It’s like there’s a swivel in the center of the brain where you control a steering rod from behind that pierces straight through, so rotating left should make the viewpoint move to the right and vice versa. It seemed natural to me at first. Then for me it was the game Infamous on PS3 that broke me. It didn’t have the option to invert so I had to learn the standard method of movement mimicking the onscreen direction of the camera. It took me a while to grow accustomed, but now I can’t go back to inversion. When a game switches the orientation movement scheme (like a switch to airborne flight gameplay or underwater movements) it confuses and frustrates me every time. Can’t remember but I had a game recently do that to me (Guardians of the Galaxy maybe?) and I died several times in flight crashing into things. 😅

CJD87

@Th3solution That is genuinely interesting to hear... and your 'swivel' analogy is exactly how I justify my sickness ha! Agree 100% though that it is incredibly jarring when games suddenly flip unexpectedly from invert/standard (eg when aiming or in airborne flight).

What a relief though to finally get this off my chest! Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to tell my parents....

Edited on by CJD87

CJD87

RogerRoger

@CJD87 I feel you, buddy. It's been a much rarer issue for me (in fact, I can only think of a couple of examples, mostly Japanese games) but, on occasion, I've found myself looking for the same setting and been disappointed when I've been unable to find it. We all have our preferences!

Making It So Since 1987

HeavyMetalWario64DS

colonelkilgore wrote:

@CJD87 x-axis inversion… I’ve never even heard of anyone inverting the x-axis before. I’ve always thought inverting the y-axis was a bit weird (unless youre flying in-game of course)… but what in all that is holy first caused you to invert the x-axis? 🤔

I feel like one of the PS2 Kingdom Hearts games or maybe a Ratchet & Clank PS2 game had the X axis inverted by default (or maybe it was R2 rotating counterclockwise). As for the Y axis, I always had it normal when I started playing FPSs, and inverted when flying, but at one point in the last couple of years I was trying to train myself to play with it inverted so I could play some older shooters where inverted was the only option.

The thing that really drives me nuts though is aiming with the left stick rather than the right. There was a mission in GTA Vice City on PS2 that introduced you to assault rifles. You're forced to aim it with the left stick and I was unable to clear the mission like that. I ended up having to buy body armor and an SMG and clear it with those instead. I also have had a hard time aiming the bow at the shooting galleries in Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask on the N64.

HeavyMetalWario64DS

colonelkilgore

@HeavyMetalWario64DS I’m with you mate… my left thumb is not made to aim and move at the same time. It’s enough that it can merely move my gaming avatar at all really… what with how utterly useless all other aspects involving my left appendages are 🤣

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

stvevan

fifa specific, everytime you make a tackle near touchline it goes for a throw in. EVERY SINGLE TIME

stvevan

stvevan

i also miss cheat codes. used to love finishing a game, put some codes in and have a blast

stvevan

Fayetta

Long tutorials really bugs me, maybe I’ve become impatient as I’ve got older as it never bothered me as a kid. It’s just the fact that they hold your hand way too much and most of it is things you could probably work out yourself, or they could whittle it down!

Fayetta

Th3solution

@Fayetta I’ve definitely played game where I’m still getting tutorial prompts for basic mechanics way past the time that you should need them.

I’ve also had the opposite happen where there is either no tutorial explaining things, or maybe they have such a quick brief message that I ignore and which never gets shown again. I’ve gone whole games without using certain gameplay mechanics because the tutorial for it was so lacking that I never learned it.

Fayetta

@Th3solution I know exactly what you mean. I hate when games keep telling you ‘press square to jump’ when you reach a climbable object. I’d say the opposite to that would be Final Fantasy VIII, they give you a tutorial page which to be fair is up to you to view but the majority of it is pretty much repeats of what they’ve explained in other pages!

Fayetta

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic