Forums

Topic: Gaming's pet peeves

Posts 301 to 320 of 516

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It’s definitely brought some pretty dreadful attitudes to the forefront. Which has been seen yet again by a strange backlash to Aloy not looking ‘feminine enough’ in the new Horizon trailer. Clearly there’s still room for improvement when it comes to gamers.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nomither6

I'm nothing but a 00's kid but even I miss when gaming was seen as being ''for nerds/losers , etc'' . When gaming went mainstream in like , late 2010/2011 , it went to ***** around the mid 2010's afterwards. Garbage so-called ''DLC'' practices in the form of gutting games in time for release and selling the rest as either microtransactions or huge updates that eat up your hard-drive , and day one patches because the games arent finished ; developers scared to take risks anymore causing many genres to fade away or become stale ; its like games arent made by gamers for gamers anymore , but by corporate suit-&-tie wearing douchebags that don't know ***** about video games and probably still see us as ''nerds'' with money to make a profit for their business nowadays ./rant

but yeah , times changed about games being for losers . that just goes to show you how dumb people are and desperate to second-guess themselves about what they like because they're worried about what other people think & want to impress everyone . people always liked video games , and the whole nerd thing was always a lie . now if only we can get past this attention-seeking ''girl gamer'' bull .

nomither6

LordSteev

@nomither6
👍
That's the best rant I've read in at least a year. Agree wholeheartedly.

LordSteev

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Some of those comments regarding Aloy's new face remind me of when "fans" complained about Lara Croft being too buff in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, to the point where the Photo Mode added a "definition slider" to increase / decrease the size of her biceps (and it defaulted to the lowest possible setting every time). Because of course the freakin' Tomb Raider can scale cliffs, use zip lines and rapid-fire a bow with supermodel matchstick arms.

Lara's design evolution over the years is the blueprint I thought would help prevent such nonsense from ever occurring again, but it seems like some folks have serious short-term memory issues.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Don't be afraid to speak your mind, you're eloquent enough and were not offending anyone personally with any of those posts you made. You're great, actually.

A part of this community is just so embarrassing.

everyone I've talked and played with online it's not true

There's a reason women will often not engage in online play. It's called sexism and there's a lot of it. That's why many of my friends will not engage in online play or communities like these.

Imagine being a woman, visiting this website, reading that Aloy is not hot enough (while you yourself might look more like Aloy than Chun-Li) and some posters in an article will not believe that 40% of gamers are women, spouting their stupid story about how every woman they meet online is secretly a man. Sounds like a community you want to belong to? Not likely.

Also, this also applies to so many queer/trans gamers as well.

Kidfried

Kidfried

Another thing about the statistics. (@get2sammyb too)

Sony said 41%. Push Square reported was saying "almost half". That is just terrible reporting. We don't have full statistics, but let's assume for a second that the amount of non-binary people among the gamer community is in line with the world population: 0.5 to 1 percent. That means that the male gamer audience takes the rest of the pie. That means that there are about 43% more male gamers than female gamers. 43% more, that sounds way different than "almost half".

And getting those numbers straight is incredibly important with regards to gender topics. Just imagine you earning 2800 dollar, while a coworker of yours is earning 4000 (43% increase). Would you accept if your boss said "that's almost equal pay"?

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett I would say that I was surprised that some of the internet think that Aloy is 'woke trash', but it is a sorry state of affairs that I wasn't.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

@OrigamiCrane Men can also like men, and women can also like women.

(And I don't know how to respond to that strawman you created there.)

Kidfried

nomither6

OrigamiCrane wrote:

@nomither6

Agreed the passion is just not the same and it's like they are more passionate about cold hard cash quality be damned or passing "messages" through games . I remember watching a documentary about how Silent Hill 1 was created and it was so inspiring . Men and women working together to create something special with a small budget because nobody believed in them and good god did they ever succeed

Nowadays we get documentaries like the God of War guilt driven "Gaming/Kratos has grown up" nonsense that acts like the previous games were just abhorrent with zero mature themes . There are two great videos about this on Youtube that I believe are called "God of War was always deep you cowards" and "The western games industry needs to grow up" that point out the hypocrisies with this type of stuff

Girl gamers was always a thing , small in number sure but they always existed and they rock . Nowadays some of them just want special treatment though . The vice documentary about the all female Fortnite "pro" team was hilariously overdramatic with the sad music playing over it the entire time and don't get me started on those League of Legends girls that went 2-52 or something crazy like that and they were screaming about sexism

"Oh no I was asked to make a sandwich for someone" and "I lost without managing to get any kills so the league kicked me out" oh the horror . I mean what would these girls have done back in the old COD days . Hell jump in on Rainbow Six or COD Search and Destroy now with a mic and I guarantee you male or female someone will team kill you , tell you to kill yourself or call you the N word repeatedly

Some girls I know can take this because they aren't looking for validation and can dish it right back but some really cannot which I sympathize with since I'm not confrontational either but still ....It's not a female exclusive thing

Thats what happens when something/someone becomes mainstream ; they're pressured with a guilt of needing to fulfill a status-quo of political/societal demands instead of manifesting their imaginations through video games and sharing it with other gamers ; thats what makes works of art in fiction so special . its like freedom of your mind and narrating your own imagination in an environment you have control over. gamers sub-consciously play video games as a form of escapism & whether they want to acknowledge that or not , its for that reason a lot of us enjoy video games so much and theres nothing wrong with that . everyone has their ways of relieving themselves through life , but nowadays , like you mentioned with the god of war documentary - game developers have to be conformist and make games more as a business first and hobby second and thats the problem .

there was absolutely nothing wrong with the classic God of War games . what they did to the franchise and kratos overall design/character is disgusting in my (unpopular) opinion , and i think the reboot of the franchise is trash , despite me having not playing it , i know i wouldnt like it. Mainstream and rampant PS4 sales made sony ''woke'' so now they care more about the real world , and the real world sucks , along with its societal problems and cancel culture. It still boggles my mind how people complain about how old kratos was , when its like , why does every single video-game character have to be (subjectively) ''likeable'' ? why can't there be main characters that are the bad guys and are meant to be hated ? isnt that part of creativity and doing something different ? old kratos is a breath of fresh air ; if the main character isnt annoying and boring , then theres nothing wrong with them. sorry not everyone likes carbon-copies of their favorite video game character ; not .

and about the girl gamers part , yeah , its really ridiculous . i don't even want to get into that , its nauseating . gaming is a unisexual hobby ; i could see if it was sports , or , something y-know - real life , but its not. its a virtual hobby where all you need to do is sit with a controller-in-hand . the sooner they stop sectioning themselves because of their gender , the sooner those stupid ''issues'' they claim to face disappears . like i said , its video games , not the damn military .

i said i wasnt going to rant about the girl gamer predicament , but i did , lol . oh well.

Edited on by nomither6

nomither6

HallowMoonshadow

Thanks for that @Kidfried.

... I'm not even sure why I bothered though 😕

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Kidfried

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Don't try to let it get you down too much. One day we'll smash the patriarchy... or whatever needs smashing!

Kidfried

LieutenantFatman

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy
The forums here are quite a bit busier than they used to be, I'm finding there's a lot of comments and discussions I've missed. For what it's worth, I completely agree with your comments.

And the whole idea about who's 'hard core' has always been ridiculous, I think.
Personally, I love being able to connect with people over video games, the more people I can chat about them with, the better. Suggesting someone's not hardcore enough to enjoy a hobby is awful and is incredibly unfriendly.

It's the sort of behaviour which will put a lot of people off hobbies. And what does hard core really mean anyway? Who decides who is and who isn't? The whole idea just sounds incredibly toxic to me.

LieutenantFatman

JohnnyShoulder

@LieutenantFatman Well said and I agree!

Whenever I see someone mention hard-core I immediately think of the rave scene back in the day!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@LieutenantFatman All fandoms practice a degree of gatekeeping. The amount of times I've been dismissed as "not a proper fan" is infuriating. It's petty behaviour from insecure individuals who think snobbish elitism is the ultimate form of individuality and self-worth. That sentence would be a lot shorter if we were allowed to swear, of course, because it's pure and simple bullsh...

...anyway, moving swiftly on.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy You're worth a thousand of those one-sentence instigators, Foxy. @Kidfried says we'll smash it one day, but you're smashin' it every day!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Hard-core just makes me think of Scooter 😂

Thrillho

@nessisonett I just think of Egg Head from Disco Elysium. Hardcore!

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho Hahaha yes! Almost all of his lines are from Scooter lyrics, like when he asks ‘How much is the fish?’ or ‘skibadee skibadanger I am the rearranger’

Kidfried

Whenever I play The Sim: "I AM THE HORSEMAN YEAAAA I FEEL HARDCORE"

Kidfried

Th3solution

It’s been a while since I played a JRPG or watched any substantial amount of anime, so after starting FF7R I’m kinda annoyed at the exaggerated acting and writing. I feel like it’s a little unfair to criticize because some of it is lost in translation or just a cultural thing, but I’d be enjoying FF7R’s characters so much more if they were more grounded and realistic. I don’t know if I’m making sense but I’m talking about how characters make little over-dramatic sounds when they are talked to, like a sigh or a high pitched “uh!..” or a small grunt of recognition to being called out rather than just saying nothing.

I do think some of the cringeworthy dialogue and animations is a tongue-in-cheek homage to the original game (looking at you Mr Melodramatic over gesticulating Barrett…) and it does make me smirk, but a lot of the subdued grunts and sighs Cloud makes are already starting to grate.
Still enjoying the game though. I just had forgotten how much of a tool Cloud is at first.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic