Forums

Topic: Gaming's pet peeves

Posts 281 to 300 of 516

mookysam

@Kidfried Eek, sorry you lost all that progress. I don't blame you for being fed up with it. It's a massive flaw in JRPGs generally and MegaTen can be quite spiteful when there are certain enemies that love to use instant death spells. Thankfully P5R lets you restart a battle if Joker falls during a boss fight. I swear I felt my heart stop when I died during a mini-boss battle after not saving for a while.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

nessisonett

@Kidfried I get that, I lost a lot of progress a couple of times and did quit the game for a while. Persona 3 is actually even worse in that regard if you can imagine 😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

LieutenantFatman

Yeah, losing a ton of progress is pretty gutting. I'm fine with it in Souls games as you know what you signed up for and it's part of the whole package. When the PS4 crashes and I haven't saved for ages, the lack of a regular autosave can be quite infuriating in some titles.

LieutenantFatman

Col_McCafferty

@Kidfried Mate, I feel for you but that's happened to probably every Persona 5 player at some point. Them's the breaks!

Seriously, Mementos is a bitch and the deeper you go the worse it gets. Learn from this, don't throw a tantrum.

Col_McCafferty

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried Yeah that does my head in too. I really begrudge games without a manual save system, or games that do not make it clear when it is auto saving. It is the one thing Cyberpunk 2077 got right.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

mookysam

@nessisonett Ugh, Tartarus can be a nightmare. I once lost almost a whole block's progress and it took hours to redo. Losing level progress is frustrating as hell.

Black Lives Matter

nessisonett

@mookysam I once lost four hours of progress because I must have forgotten to save between a trip to Tartarus and a full moon event and then died on the boss. Dropped the game for months after that 😂

Thrillho

My issues with Ratchet and Clank also remind me how rubbish games with single save slots are too.

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture had an awful save system as well from what I remember.

Thrillho

mookysam

@nessisonett Ouch. 😱 At least it prepared on my FeMC playthrough. I got a bit obsessed with saving on that run and repeatedly went back to the lobby each time I gained a few levels, even if it meant redoing floors. Persona 4 and 5 are quite a bit easier in comparison.

Black Lives Matter

RogerRoger

I encountered an annoyance the other day, and realised it'd make a good contribution to this topic. I really can't stand games that automatically start the first level when you initially boot them up. Maybe it's because I'm an option-tweaker, but the assumption that I'm ready to settle in and properly experience a game right from the get-go is an increasing folly in the age of pre-order bonus codes, progression transferring and multiple display and performance modes.

I installed Hitman 3 and needed to enter its in-game menus, in order to claim my DLC and Legacy Packs, but was I allowed to? No, I had to sit and watch the game's opening cutscene, which I really wasn't geared up to do. As soon as I had control of Agent 47, I had to quit back out, and then I could go about my incomplete set-up business. I've done such a good job of staying spoiler-free, and then the game went and spoilt itself, showing me a piece of its action that I'm many weeks away from.

This issue might've be heightened by Hitman's unique legacy-supporting structure, but other games have annoyed me in the past with this trick, as well. Give me a chance to sort out my control preferences, nudge the volume levels around, see what's what, go make a cup of tea, get my headset on, and then allow me to decide when to start paying attention to your all-important scene-setting. Otherwise it's just kinda rude, and I'm invariably gonna lose track of crucial context.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

MattW

RogerRoger wrote:

I encountered an annoyance the other day, and realised it'd make a good contribution to this topic. I really can't stand games that automatically start the first level when you initially boot them up. Maybe it's because I'm an option-tweaker, but the assumption that I'm ready to settle in and properly experience a game right from the get-go is an increasing folly in the age of pre-order bonus codes, progression transferring and multiple display and performance modes.

Very annoying, I agree. Especially now. Even in games for smartphones, until you complete the training, access to the settings is simply blocked.

MattW

RogerRoger

@MattW Blimey, smartphone games do it, too? That's kinda nuts. Especially since the limited range of smartphone games I've played are almost always collecting data on you and your phone usage by default, and don't really have a "pause and quit back to the main menu" option.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

MattW

RogerRoger wrote:

@MattW Blimey, smartphone games do it, too? That's kinda nuts. Especially since the limited range of smartphone games I've played are almost always collecting data on you and your phone usage by default, and don't really have a "pause and quit back to the main menu" option.

Yes. They completely discouraged the desire to play their projects.

MattW

R1spam

I've just found a new gaming peeve for me. DLC additions that make a smorgasbord of side activities from the main game a main quest and get you to a bunch of stuff you have already done shed loads of this before to progress. I rolled my eyes a little when miles morales did it but playing hzd made me groan out loud (in annoyance, I'm not that into a Alloy). Like, do I really have to do a bandit camp?! 🤔😐

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

nessisonett

You know what I hate? Games that lack an in-game report function. FIFA is absolutely rife with both cheaters and people who deliberately slow down their connection and the game doesn’t have a report function. And PSN’s report thingy says ‘try reporting them in-game’.

HallowMoonshadow

The casual or outright sexism that was disgustingly displayed by the gaming and pushsquare community (The ones who typically stick to commenting on articles at least... The typical forum members were wonderful as always) in regards to girl gamers thanks to that article yesterday.

I wonder how many liked ness's original comment in the article before then spouting the sheer bile that was spewed throughout the comment section?

Just a small peeve of mine really... I'm sure that'll be all worked out by the end of next week 😒

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@OrigamiCrane I agree, I always have it so you just press the button once instead of having to hold it down too.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

@OrigamiCrane I've been quite lucky over the years with controllers, the worst thing that has happened is that the battery eventually holds minimal charge.

Generally any action involving clicking the sticks I prefer to map it to another button if possible.

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I think a lot of people just don’t understand that ‘men putting more time and money into games’ is less to do with men being the bigger gamers and more to do with a lot of women just plain having more important things to spend their time and money on due to wider societal issues. I know for a fact that my mum’s only playing games a lot more now because when we were younger she was trying to raise 4 kids and work to provide for us too. She quite literally didn’t have the time. Whereas it was my dad who got to do the ‘fun stuff’ with us. We should be celebrating the fact that so many women are finding the time to play games and love this hobby rather than questioning whether they play the right games or spend enough money to be considered a true gamer.

HallowMoonshadow

I was angry when I wrote that post yesterday (along with that secondary comment I wrote in that article yesterday too).

I'm big enough to admit that.

I certainly don't want to tarnish everyone with the same brush and come off as judgemental... There's a lot of good people here and we certainly can't all have the same views, beliefs and standards.

That's what makes us all unique after all.

I usually don't speak my mind about these sorts of things (@nessisonett typically does a good job at those social sorts of things and can frankly take it on the chin when people do talk back to him a lot more unlike me if I was doing it). I wasn't part of the debate club so I'm not all that eloquent either

Apologies for outright offending anyone.

@Jecht_Ultima A bit unfortunate I know but what can ya do? 😄

nessisonett wrote:

I know for a fact that my mum’s only playing games a lot more now because when we were younger she was trying to raise 4 kids and work to provide for us too. She quite literally didn’t have the time. Whereas it was my dad who got to do the ‘fun stuff’ with us.

Thanks ness for reminding me of the majority of my twenties... If I knew for a fact I wasn't your mother I'd seriously be having a whole lotta doubts and questions right about now!

OrigamiCrane wrote:

I even remember one harmless comment specifically that was simply wondering how many of them were "hardcore gamers" and he got a barrage of full on defense mode white knight "Why does that matter" comments. Like chill out we're talking about video games here..

... We're talking about female gamers though... That's what the whole discussion is about and in turn has everything to do with video games @OrigamiCrane.

And it's not a "harmless" comment either.

Asking about whether they're "hardcore" or not is trying to devalue the statement one way or another. I'd be saying the exact same if it was being asked it about the male percentage.

It does nothing but try to evoke a sense of elitism that frankly none of us needs. We're all gamers and that's all that matters. It doesn't matter if you only buy Fifa, Cod and Assassin's creed every year or whether you tear through 80 hour jrpgs.

OrigamiCrane wrote:

Nobody was denying that female gamers exist but if pointing out that the percentage may have been somewhat inflated just for Sony to get some good rep as all corporations tend to do

You're right... The cynic I am will happily admit to that last line as I raise my eyebrows whenever this happens either.

But who cares if it is inflated too? It doesn't harm anyone and promotes that a healthier image in that isn't just a boys club and that female gamers can find more like minded individuals.

Origamicrane wrote:

Everyone likes to act like there's some sort of gatekeeping to this hobby but I'm sorry I just don't see it. For the one guy that will be rude there will be 30 guys that will go bananas the moment a girl says that she plays video games

After all there is a reason why a lot of lonely people pretend to be women in multiplayer games. You simply get more attention and care and a LOT more people will defend you if you're ever in trouble.

I remember a long time ago my friends from school made a joke account and pretended to be a girl on PS Home . Within the span of 20 minutes they had over 30 friend requests and they were all surprisingly super nice . They felt so bad that they abandoned the account and never did that again lol

... Please stop.

That whole section is just extremely embarassing.

For both of us.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic