Forums

Topic: Gaming's pet peeves

Posts 241 to 260 of 516

nessisonett

@Kidfried Well... I have had about 4 or 5 hard crashes in AC3 but strangely only in the Desmond sections. Not that it’s much of a loss 😉

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

mookysam

@Th3solution Most written/audio/whatever logs in games are completely crap and pointless but at the same time I collect them because I don’t want to miss anything potentially important. The worst recent example I can think of is Horizon: Zero Dawn. They were boring, added nothing and just felt like inelegant storytelling, when more subtle visual forms would have sufficed. I like games where they do a good job of fleshing out the world, but there still needs to be a balance so the player doesn’t feel weighed down. Dishonored and its sequel have some excellent materials that significantly flesh out the lore, but there is so much of it that it slows the pacing of the gameplay right down. There was so much they even released an actual book of the in-game logs, clippings and posters (which is actually pretty awesome, it’s a nice coffee table book). BioShock’s audio logs are a great example as they don’t slow you down and expand the lore in meaningful ways while still being completely optional.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

MarlonJohan

I hate when gameplay has bad transitions when it comes to the story. I want it to flow better and seeing it unnaturally flow, it just kills my immersion so much. Of course, that is for single-player games but I also hate in muiltiplayer games the random spawns that just help my opponents.

MarlonJohan

RogerRoger

@MarlonJohan Good one. Kinda related, but I hate how I can totally tell the difference between "necessary narrative cutscene" and "pointless filler cutscene strategically placed to mask a loading screen" in a lot of modern games. At least they're trying, I guess!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

MarlonJohan

@RogerRoger Yeahh yeaahh. I still appreciate the effort that they put in between, tho I often times I ask myself what just happend loool.

MarlonJohan

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder reminded me of this one on the other thread: one of my smaller pet peeves is when gamers pass harsh criticism and judgment over games that they’ve never even played.

Of course it’s fine to pass on a game if it doesn’t interest you. It’s normal to not like the way a game sounds based on reviews, videos, screen caps, and all manner of personal criteria that we utilize to choose our game collection. We all have to make pre-judgements before we choose what we’ll spend our precious time and money on, and it’s normal to say that a game just doesn’t look good to you. But to flat out say a game is horrible or the worst ever without even playing it is... well, I just don’t understand that logic. The prime example is TLoU2, with loads of hate from people who never played it. I’m not saying everyone has to play and like it (I haven’t even played it yet), but at least withhold your condemnation until you experience it first hand, people.

The same applies when games are praised as the best ever before they are even played. I think we are seeing this with Cyberpunk. People have mistakenly crowned Cyberpunk 2077 as the second coming and extrapolated the PC version onto the console version and given it 10/10’s. Then when they actually experience the base PS4 version are having to completely retract their opinion after first hand experience.

Unfair prejudice isn’t a problem unique to gaming. It’s a societal issue; the same phenomenon permeating every aspect of culture. For some reason, everyone is an expert now on things they know nothing about and have no experience with. But that’s a whole other discussion entirely...

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Bang on there. It drives me up the bleedin wall at times. It gets quite exhausting just reading both sides of the argument, let alone being involved in it. Even more so when you can see that one side is explaining things in a clear and logical manner, and the other side just doesn't or won't get it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I only glanced at some of your post, but I totally 100% agree.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Games where in order to quit them, you have to press any button at the title screen and then select ‘quit game’. WHY?? JUST LET ME QUIT THE GAME!

Th3solution

@nessisonett Yeah, and does it bother anyone else when I game isn’t “telling you” when it saves? That drives me crazy sometimes. When was the last autosave? If I quit now where will I spawn next time? If I quit now am I quitting in the middle of a save and might corrupt my save file?

Most games utilize the churning icon in the corner and state repeated upon loading for game “Do not quit or turn off your system while the “-“ icon is showing...” and I appreciate that. Some games don’t show anything so I feel like I’m holding my breath every time I quit the game.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah I thought of you when I was posting that since you said something similar in the “Do you finish games?” thread about trying to play through to a game’s conclusion so as to be able to pass fair judgement. Although I’m not as committed as you in that regard, (I’m struggling to find the motivation to carry on with Undertale) I think hands on experience trumps hearsay with nearly every aspect of life.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I appreciate the thought, really I do, but I obviously need to make my jokes more, um... obvious!

In all seriousness, if you're really struggling with Undertale, then walk away. That's twice you've tried to engage with it now, which is double the effort most would make. Your opinion wouldn't be invalid, because it would be (and would appear to be) "this isn't my thing" based on actual first-hand experience, rather than looking at a handful of screencaps and reading a few user comments.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger 😂 I’m just dense sometimes. The irony is I read your previous post quickly while in a waiting room lobby and didn’t get the joke. It’s been a long week. 😛

nessisonett

@Arugula Is it bad I’m actually missing them now? The dreadful modern day sections in Black Flag and Rogue made me yearn for the days of running around in a Brazilian football stadium. Syndicate doesn’t even really have them, just cutscenes.

Thrillho

I can't remember if I said this one already but going through me second run of TLOU2 and it's really standing out..

Making you hammer/hold a button down to perform a simple action like opening a door.

I guess it's trying to make things feel more "immersive" but when it's happening so many times it just feels like a pointless and annoying addition, particularly when every doorway is bloody blocked off too. FF7R also seemed to be one for making you hold the button to open some doors.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Arugula Oh yeah, I’ve played maybe about 40 hours of Origins back when it first released. I mostly did sidequests though so didn’t run into her much.

Th3solution

@Arugula @nessisonett Yeah... “Layla” I seem to recall is her name. And she’s exceedingly yawnsome — at least in Origins. Haven’t played Odyssey yet, but I think I heard she and the modern day stuff is a little better in it.

@Thrillho One of the things I appreciated so much about RE2 Remake was that you had the option of stopping at the door a pressing “X” to swing the door open for a peek inside before charging in, or you can just simply run into it and it will swing open automatically. It was both convenient and tactical at the same time.

DerMeister

Dunno why I never brought these up, but two peeves I've had with the shoulder triggers-

1. When they're not used for shooting. It's weird that I play a shooter (Which isn't often) and by default, the R1 button, or the other console equivalent is used to shoot rather than the button that actually looks like a trigger. I haven't played any recent shooters, but back in the PS360 era was when the shoulder triggers were made standard yet weren't the actual shoot button. It's nitpicky because I'm sure you can remap it, but it never made sense to me.

2. Mashing them. They don't feel right for mashing at all, and I can usually button mash with the best of them. Yakuza 3 uses this for special heat actions at the end of boss fights, and it's always a pain to do it because the triggers just aren't meant to rapidly hit like a button would be.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic