Forums

Topic: Gaming's pet peeves

Posts 201 to 220 of 516

nessisonett

@Thrillho Oh no, I love Resi’s inventory Tetris. It’s way more fun trying to fit things together than an arbitrary ‘you can hold 10 items despite how large or small they are’.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

JohnnyShoulder

@Jaz007 Is that good or bad? I have not and have no intention of playing it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jaz007

@JohnnyShoulder It depends on the game. It works very well within the context of Death Stranding. Basically, you actually have to carry everything and there is no magic pocket. There's a physical spot for it (even if packages are above your head or in a vehicle), or you're not taking it with you. Granted, they have pouches that optimize storage, but to summarize, it it's realistic and bit more hardcore and doesn't make you feel like you need to be able to take the kitchen sink with you (even if it would be nice), it's good. If not, it could be bad.

Jaz007

JohnnyShoulder

@Jaz007 Oh ok, yeah seen that. Like you said that works for D'S but would be a nightmare fore something like Skyrim and all those Dragon skulls picked up.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

BearsEatBeets

I quite like a realistic inventory system. It definitely depends on the game but I really like the added realism of RDR2 with all the guns physically on you and that you actually put stuff in your bag (even though that is slightly tardis-like). It looks like TLOU 2 is going to have some good realism with this regard.
I actually noticed playing AC Odyssey it's become quite comical watching cut-scenes where your character magically produces items from behind their back.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets Everything out of the normal in Assassin's Creed can be blamed on the Animus. Area can't load - Animus. Enemies magically appear out of nowhere - Animus. NPC with no face - Animus.

crimsontadpoles

When games keeps interrupting things, offering the player to skip ahead, due to the player failing a few times.

If I'm struggling on a tricky level, then I'll surely be able to do it next attempt, probably. The game continually asking me whether I want to skip ahead is just going to cause me to get more frustrated at my failures.

After failing 5 or more times in a section with Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, it'll offer to let the player skip ahead to the next checkpoint, and it'll then keep doing this every time they fail. If I'm failing that many times, then it's probably due to me trying to get a particularly tricky hidden coin. Skipping ahead won't help with getting that hidden coin.

Even worse is Super Mario Maker 2. In Story Mode, the player just has to fail twice in an entire level, then Luigi will appear and offer to complete the level on the player's behalf. Come on, 2 failed attempts is not enough to indicate that someone is struggling with a level. Plus, saying that a level is so easy that even Luigi can easily do it isn't going to make the player feel better about failing.

However, there is a game that implements this mechanic in a way that I like. Rhythm Paradise (also known as Rhythm Heaven) for the Nintendo DS does this well. After the player has failed a rhythm game a few times, an icon on the level select screen will indicate that the cafe barista would like a word. The barista can easily be ignored. If the player does decide to talk to the barista, then they'll nicely point out that the player appears to be having some trouble, before offering to let the player skip that rhythm game. If the player refuses the help, then the owner will give the player some encouragement.

I really like this conversation, so adding it below.

Barista wrote:

Oh, how nice to see you.
You've been doing really well lately, but, well, don't take this the wrong way...
Has Moai Doo-Wop been giving you some trouble?
Because I can make it so you can just skip that game altogether. What do you say?
[Please! / No, thanks.]
That's the spirit. Stay confident, and stick to it!
I'm proud of you, friend.
For what it's worth, I'll be cheering you on from behind the counter!
See you around.

RogerRoger

@crimsontadpoles I've always chuckled at offers to skip ahead, even though I can trigger them quite often, but it's a grim, sarcastic chuckle because you're right, even in the cutest of games, it just comes across as "Aww, you suck at this! Did you know you suck at this? Well then, sucky player, here's the option for those who suck. We've made it really obvious but, still, be careful not to suck at pressing it!"

Pops up in a lot of Nintendo platformers. Last time I encountered it was indeed Super Mario Maker 2 and the whole Luigi thing, as you say. When you consider how heartwarming that example you've shared from Rhythm Paradise is, it's amazing more games haven't adopted a more encouraging mechanic.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Jaz007

Pffft. We all the know the best ones are where games make fin of you for playing on easy. Play Ninja Gaiden on easy and you get made fun of the whole game by the other characters, Doom puts a pacifier in the doom guys mouth on the difficulty selection screen.
But it should probably be the encouraging kind, or just directly say, hey you, you the guy that sucks.

Jaz007

RogerRoger

@Jaz007 If you make a difficulty choice from the beginning, and that choice is flagged with a sense of humour (like the DOOM Guy's pacifier) then sure, okay. That's funny. You know what you're opening yourself up for. It's more when a game actively stops you mid-respawn and says "we've been watching you and it looks like you suck at this" that it becomes annoying and / or insulting. It knows you've chosen to try, knows that practice makes perfect, but is still putting the boot in anyway... right when you need it the least.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@KratosMD Oh lord, the Spider-Man ones were rubbish as well. You definitely have a point there, stealth sections when the engine or gameplay doesn’t suit it are usually terrible.

Thrillho

@KratosMD I feel that this has already made the hall of shame of this thread and possibly because of Spiderman as that’s the first came that came to my mind too when I read your post.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@LN78 Oh yeah, I played that a few months ago and was extremely confused by those guards’ sight lines. You could literally go up and breathe on their necks but the minute you went into pre-determined areas it suddenly failed you. Terrible.

Kidfried

Been playing Days Gone for a few hours now, and I can see why so many gamers liked it, but it's also pretty clear why this got mostly 7s all around and not higher.

The biggest problem this game has had so far, and I have this problem with a lot of games: WHY DONT YOU LEAVE ME ALONE?

Especially in an open world game this is kind of a breaking point for me. I constantly get radioed by Alex Jones FM, Deacon is constantly updating everyone about every insignificant thing he does, and others are constantly moaning that I should come to their camp.

Worst case about getting radioed in any game, is that it's happening when you're doing all kinds of other things. I can't hear someone shouting for my help, because Deacon is screaming at his radio how much he hates Breitbart Radio. Just let me do explory open worldy things.

Devs, when are you going to let me just cruise on my bike through Oregon?

I'll take a quiet life, a handshake of carbon monoxide.

@Arugula This is a strange pet peeve in Days Gone as well. I don't think they should take the ability to run away from the player. Let the player decide if they wanna be immersed.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic