Forums

Topic: Gaming Resolutions for the New Year of 2023

Posts 41 to 60 of 112

johncalmc

@kyleforrester87 My tolerance for JRPG hijinks, shenanigans, and nonsense is really quite high.

Yeah, Final Fantasy games are never really that long. I beat VII in (I think) 23 hours once. It was many years ago. I remember I did it in two sittings though. And that was before the PS4 remaster with the speed up thing. But I've played it like 15 times or something. Who even knows how many times I've played it. I know VI, VIII, and IX slightly less well, but I've played all of those at least five times each. Probably ten. I've even played X five times I think and I don't even like that one.

Stumbling blocks would be the early ones that are finicky that I'm not as familiar with. V, for example, if I remember right can be tough in parts. I've only played II once and I didn't get very far so who knows. Plus of course, another stumbling block is the release date of the pixel remasters. I want to do them in order so the earlier they come out the better really.

I'm giving so much thought to something I will blatantly not do.

johncalmc

Twitter:

rockodoodle

Play the games I have and stop buying so many….

rockodoodle

sorteddan

Well one month of the year already behind us I thought it would be an idea for me to note my progress with my attempted backlog busting.
In January I completed:
Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) Platinum, completed Frozen Wilds, couldn't be bothered with NG+ trophies
Jydge (PS5) Platinum
Mosaic (PS4) completed main 'game'
Headlander (PS4) Platinum
Path to Mnemosyne (PS4) completed, got all trophies (alas no plat)
Slay the Spire (PS4) completed first runs with three main characters, now trying to complete a run with all three keys(relics?) - this game has impeded my attempts at backlog reduction as I spend an hour or two most days having a go at this. I do enjoy it though so it's all good.

So that's at least five games off of the backlog and haven't really purchased any (I have pre-ordered one but it's not released until March so I'm not counting it yet). Also added Axiom Verge 2 off of PS+ so maybe backlog currently down by 4.

How's everyone else getting on with their resolutions?

Edited on by sorteddan

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

The_Moose

@sorteddan Congratulations on a successful month buddy.

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. – Seneca

Th3solution

@sorteddan Looks good so far.

As for me, I’ve done okay. I have 5 total resolutions and made small progress on 3 of them:
#2. Watch at least 4 video game related cross-media TV shows or movies (either live-action or animated) - Watching The Last of Us
#3. Play at least 6 indies. - Playing The Pathless (is that an indie? I’m not sure but I’m counting it)
#4. Take at least 1 screenshot from every game I play this year (Vita games excluded, unfortunately) - Too bad The Pathless doesn’t have a photo mode because it can be beautiful at times, but I’ve snapped a couple shots nonetheless, HUD and all.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Lavalera

@sorteddan nice m8. Good to hear you're making progress.

I have only really made progress on one of the 4. I had some real life stuff going on so didn't really make progress on the less buying and backlog shrinking ones. Instead of emotional eating I emotionally buy game so that one going to he hard to complete. The caring less about platinums is kinda hard to say since I really only. Played 1 game on my ps5 this year Marvels midnight suns and I got the platinum for that haha.

The only one I progressed was trying games in genres I generally don't play. I finished the amazing Hi-fi Rush earlier this week. Platformers and rhythm games aren't usually my cup of tea. But this game was just so much fun.
Now to try and finish or at least play some more rogue likes and souls games. Returnal and bloodborne I haven't tried yet. Even though I failed miserably at Sekiro and Elden Ring just didn't click with me since it was just to unstructured maybe Bloodborne fits better. Just have to fit those in into my already full schedule of games I want to play. 2 Like a Dragon games, Hogwarts, Diablo 4 and Starfield are going to eat my time probably lol

PSNid: Lavalera

sorteddan

@The_Moose
Thank you.

@Th3solution
Looks like you have made a positive start too.
Loved The Pathless when I played it last year and yeah I would probably class it as an indie as well. My main issue with it was I didn't get to fully appreciate how beautiful the world was because I spent most of my time in the blue focus mode. A unique and brilliant gem of a game though.

@Lavalera
Yeah I know what you mean, buying new things does give a sense of accomplishment or something similar? And 1 for 1 on plats but I know that's a game you really enjoyed anyhow. Souls games never really clicked with me either though I did manage to get to the end of Bloodborne and glad I did. I do have a fondness for the rogue-like (lite) though, you got any in mind?

EDIT: If either of you have PS+ Extra you should have a look at Children of Morta. It's both indie and rogue-lite, I was reminded about it recently and remembered how much I enjoyed it.

Edited on by sorteddan

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

Ralizah

Monthly Update

Ralizah wrote:

1) At least a third of the games I play next year should be either visual novels or independently developed games

I've beaten four games since January, and two of them were indies, so I'm ahead of where I need to be on this goal so far

2) Catch up with the Fatal Frame series

No progress yet

3) Play and finish more games than I buy

I've purchased two and finished four so far, so doing well on this goal

4) Play and finish Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

No progress yet

5) Collect at least three platinum trophies in the Playstation ecosystem

No progress yet

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@sorteddan Thanks! Children of Morta looks pretty good actually. I’ll keep it in mind.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

kyleforrester87

Damn that’s a big January.

I did make some progress with my only resolution, which was to play through Xenoblade Chronicles DE. I played it for about 20 minutes and remembered I don’t really like it very much at all 😂 I’ll give it another go….

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Lavalera

@sorteddan There are a few that I might try. Hades I tried when it was on gamepass but it got to repetitive to fast. Returnal, Deathloop and Cult of the Lamb are some options I am looking at to try. Generally those games are pretty tough and when you don't make progress in runs it can get stale fast. So if I wanna play them I'll just do it bit by bit next to another game. Maine then I won't get frustrated that easy by them.

PSNid: Lavalera

sorteddan

@kyleforrester87
Haha, that made me laugh! I'm guessing you won't see the end of it this year if you only manage 20mins a month?!

@Lavalera
I'll generally aim to do one run a day and start off like that but then I get to a turning point, become addicted and then just hammer them. Of your list I loved Hades, didn't really click with Returnal but intend to go back to it and haven't started Deathloop yet. Cult of the Lamb is one of the games I intend to purchase this year as reward for backlog clearing (I have had to make a list to keep my impulses in check!).

JohnnyShoulder

@sorteddan Well done on the not-buying-so-many-games!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Smiffy01

No more day one buys.

Smiffy01

Th3solution

@sorteddan I’ve found that being a PS+ Extra subscriber has helped me not buy as many games. There’s been a couple times this year when I was thinking about picking up something on sale and I thought to myself that maybe the game would be on the service by the time I get around to it, so I didn’t feel as pressured to take advantage of a good deal when I saw one.

Technically, my backlog has exploded though, despite not buying as many games. I bought about 5-6 games last year but my backlog grew by about 20 because I added a bunch from PS+Extra. Just added one more with that Children of Morta rec… 😂 thanks a lot.

I’m going to spend quite a bit more this year though on purchases. It helped that 2022 was a slow year for releases, but this year is looking much stronger.

LN78

@Smiffy01 I considered that one for this year - then I remembered that "Zelda" is coming out in Spring.

LN78

colonelkilgore

@sorteddan that’s a great January pal, sounds like you put some serious hours in and cleared up quite a bit from the backlog 👍.

Personally, I went into January (& February) clearing up some older games that while I wasn’t overly excited to play them going in… I ended up really enjoying them. Played and plat’d Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune and Mad Max… and have made decent progress on Lara Croft GO and Doom: Eternal.

As things currently stand, I reckon that I would’ve been about two weeks ahead of schedule on my plan by the end of March… but I swapped in Zombie Army 4 for Mass Effect, which has an extra 30 or so hours on the time-to-plat. So as a result I’ll probably be there or thereabouts come the end of Q1.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

sorteddan

@JohnnyShoulder
Thanks. Not as easy for me as you would think!

@Th3solution
You'll thank me for real when you get around to it (I hope)

@colonelkilgore
Yeah not a bad start but t haven't really put in too many extra hours - just went for the low hanging fruit, shorter experiences to get some out of the way. Hopefully gonna get some bigger stuff in this month.
As for you it's always a bonus you enjoy stuff more than you anticipated, though why you choose to play things you're not excited to still bemuses me.

colonelkilgore

@sorteddan well I’d argue that not being overly excited and not excited at all are different states of being… but I get you. Basically I just have hundreds of games that on a high level I really want to play and have therefore pencilled into the schedule… but then when it comes to the time to actually play it, I might not be as up for it as when I originally scheduled it.

Tbh, 90% of the time (if not a little higher) I really enjoy whatever it is that I choose to play. I do a lot of research on what to expect from a game and have a decent idea of what it’ll be like. There is the odd game that just does nothing for me, even though all the info going in would suggest that I’d have liked it but you can’t win ‘em all eh.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

Looks like most of us are off to good starts!

I'm currently failing my top two resolutions ("Play Less" and "Don't Buy Random Games") because I randomly picked up Metal Gear Survive and am desperately blasting through it at speed, in case its servers get deactivated and it becomes unplayable. It's an early lapse that I'm hoping the rest of the year will correct, kinda like eating an entire cheesecake before going on a diet.

No progress elsewhere, although I did write a review for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance which I wasn't expecting to, so that could sub for Spidey 2 or Jedi: Survivor, I suppose.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic